Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tony Parsons - UK Daily Mirror September 11, 2002

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2003, 09:39 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Came across this, found it thought provoking. What do you think?

ONE year ago, the world witnessed a unique kind of broadcasting. The mass murder of thousands, live on television. As a lesson in the pitiless cruelty of the human race, September 11 was up there with Pol Pot's mountain of skulls in Cambodia, or the skeletal bodies stacked like garbage in the **** concentration camps.
An unspeakable act so cruel, so calculated and so utterly merciless that surely the world could agree on one thing - nobody deserves this fate. Surely there could be consensus: the victims were truly innocent, the perpetrators truly evil.

But to the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is increasingly seen as America's comeuppance. Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last year. There has always been a simmering resentment to the USA in this country - too loud, too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but it has become an epidemic. And it seems incredible to me. More than that, it turns my stomach.

America is this country's greatest friend and our staunchest ally. We are bonded to the US by culture, language and blood. A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died for our freedoms, as well as their own. Have we forgotten so soon? And exactly a year ago, thousands of ordinary men, women and children - not just Americans, but from dozens of countries - were butchered by a small group of religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?

What touched the heart about those who died in the twin towers and on the planes was that we recognised them. Young fathers and mothers, somebody's son and somebody's daughter, husbands and wives, and children, some unborn.

And these people brought it on themselves? And their nation is to blame for their meticulously planned slaughter?

These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in Kabul or Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan. The anti- American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering from power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes without having to ask permission.

The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since September 11.

Remember, remember.

Remember the gut-wrenching tapes of weeping men phoning their wives to say, "I love you," before they were burned alive.

Remember those people leaping to their deaths from the top of burning skyscrapers.

Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive.

Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little girl who was on one of the planes with her mum.

Remember, remember - and realise that America has never retaliated for 9/11 in anything like the way it could have.

So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the Kleenex.

So some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they merrily fired their semi-automatics in a sky full of American planes? A shame, but maybe next time they should stick to confetti.

AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot. That it didn't is a sign of strength. American voices are already being raised against attacking Iraq - that's what a democracy is for. How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that - and didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the most powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did not provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism." A real war.

The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hell," if America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hell like you wouldn't believe.

The US is the most militarily powerful nation that ever strode the face of the earth. The campaign in Afghanistan may have been less than perfect and the planned war on Iraq may be misconceived.

But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these wretched countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand - assuming you haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle. But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be - rich, free, strong, open, optimistic. Not ground down by the past, or religion, or some caste system. America is the best friend this country ever had and we should start remembering that.

Or do you really think the USA is the root of all evil? Tell it to the loved ones of the men and women who leaped to their death from the burning towers. Tell it to the nursing mothers whose husbands died on one of the hijacked planes, or were ripped apart in a collapsing skyscraper. And tell it to the hundreds of young widows whose husbands worked for the New York Fire Department.

To our shame, George Bush gets a worse press than Saddam Hussein. Once we were told that Saddam gassed the Kurds, tortured his own people and set up rape-camps in Kuwait. Now we are told he likes Quality Street. Save me the orange centre, oh mighty one!

Remember, remember, September 11.

One of the greatest atrocities in human history was committed against America.

No, do more than remember. Never forget.
Old 06 February 2003, 09:50 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree.

God Bless America.

Nuke the lot of the rest of em if you ask me.

BUT! don't forget to save a nuke or 2 for the French....
ah what the **** send em 50 just to make sure

robski
Old 06 February 2003, 09:58 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I've been to NY many many times over the last 5 years or so as my Girlfriend was a New Yorker. During this time I've taken loads of photos.

This has to be my most emotional photo to date. Taken 14th Jan 2003.

We stood and looked into where the WTC stood, and you couldn't stand there without feeling for those thousands who died, and their families of those affected.

One photo I didn't allow my girlfriend to take was in Penn Station in Jan 2002. All the missing posters were on the wall. It was only then when I truely felt the magnitude of the attrosity.

Old 07 February 2003, 10:44 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hear, hear, !!

There far too much anti-Americanism going around for my liking. I've been to the US 4 times so far, and everyone I've met has always been friendly and helpful. It's quite refreshing to be amongst such open people. I count some of my best friends amongst my US colleges.

Old 07 February 2003, 11:49 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

"One of the greatest atrocities in human history was committed against America"

Wrong. Guys like this do the US cause no favours at all It was a terrible act and I don't excuse or condone it for a second, but:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstats.htm

Old 07 February 2003, 12:46 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Home Page : http://
Interests : Cars (Duh!)
ICQ Number :
Email Address : andrewdelvard@hotmail.com
Number of Posts : 447
Date Registered : 9/21/2001
Old 07 February 2003, 12:56 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

you asked.

i think it's bang on. too many filthy liberal fifth columnists and fundamentalist apologists in this country.
Old 07 February 2003, 02:33 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You really are a nutter aren't you taffyboyo?

Why have you posted my profile here? Was it a random thing or is there a reason?
Old 07 February 2003, 04:35 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

just thought it was "fantastic"
Old 07 February 2003, 08:05 PM
Harry Potter
Scooby Regular

Taffy boy.

You are a front bottom.

Andrew puts together a fine script and you mock!

If you dig enough you will discover what I do, suffice to say I pray we have conclusion soon.

Appeasers and provaricators will f3ck us all [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07 February 2003, 08:24 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Harry,
didnt mean to mock,
I was just prooving a point to Andrew,
He knows what I mean, ey matey
Old 08 February 2003, 10:20 AM
Harry Potter
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

OOps sorry for being OTT Taffyboy
Old 08 February 2003, 12:18 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

What a top article. I agree with pretty much all of it.
Old 02 July 2003, 07:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thank God someone else isnt a lily livered liberal as walks this BBS so much!!

The USA WILL get revenge, its Saddams turn - granted there isnt much real, hard, evidence BUT the Iraqis danced in the streets when the twin towers went down .......... those same Iraqis will be dancing a to a different beat in the coming months!!

There are those on here who are so blind and dumb to attack Blair and Bush again and again - they read it in the Sun or Sport and believe every word

Iraq is doing a brilliant job at PR - the west is failing to convince, but the Iraqis wrote their own future as they danced and laughed and burnt the USA flag ........ the world has never seen the hell that the USA and Britain can and probably will, unleash.

Next stop N.Korea - now, THAT one will be tough - but its a small country with millions in arms, one small limited strike will pull them into line.

Pete

[Edited by pslewis - 2/7/2003 7:04:27 PM]