Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Athlon/Geforce/W2k problems

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2001, 12:21 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses so far..

Hanslow - I've tried the suggestions on the Geforce FAQ with regards to IRQ conflicts. No improvements, and the Asus tweak utility exits itself on start up stating that 'your systems has some problem' (sic).

Robski Overheating thing was my intial thought, I've seen a temp of 53C listed as the CPU temp (I've been told that that isn;t out fo the ordinary for Athlon CVU's), but I've been running it with the side of the case removed and there has been little improvement. I'll remove the CPU and reafix the hs with some thermal gunk - you're correct in assuming it was the standard stick tape on the bottom.

Chris B - I'm currently set at AGP4x and have to confess ignorance in regards the latest terminology and settings on new cards. Would AGP1 solve these problems? Would there be a significant performance deficit?

cheers all!

(Roll on 5.30!)
Old 15 June 2001, 12:24 AM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

I had problems when I upgraded from my Geforce256 to a Geforce3, look ups & serious performance issues

Do the following - download all drivers first

1. Deinstall all nvidia drivers for your graphics card - you definiately must clear your system of all nvidia drivers, when you do remove all you'll be booting up vga - use util like nvmax.

2. install latest nvidia drivers - 12.41 (offical) or 12.60 (beta)

3. Install lastest final via 4-in-1 chipset drivers

Also if the above doesn't solve your problems change the AGP memory setting in your BIOS

for the drivers, nvmax util so to
Old 15 June 2001, 12:51 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

There are a multitude of possible causes for system instability, and I too have felt like torching my PCs at times. However, the GeForce lockup in 3D games is a very common one, and a web search should reveal lots of useful sites.

I too had the very same problems you describe. In my case I fixed them by setting the AGP to 1x and fiddling with some other GeForce parameters. To do this I downloaded a little utility which runs under Windows. Email me offline if you want details, and I can go look at what it's called.

Gary.
Old 15 June 2001, 10:50 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Angry

I having serious SERIOUS stress trying to get my PC set up functioning correctly. I'm suffering from frequent lock-ups when (and only when) playing games with a lot of 3D content (Half-Life, Serious Sam, FIFA 2001). I've got the latest reference drivers for the video card and the most recent patches for all the games.

My system is an Athlon 800 (never been OC'd), using a DFI motherboad (VIA chipset), 256 Mb RAM, Athus Geforce GTS 32 Mb, running W2000 Professional.
I'm using a 300W power supply, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I mentioned it to the guy who I bought the motherboard and processor of - he reckons it's nothing to do with overheating, but is a W2k issue.

No longer using the same IRQ ports - reset with no PnP/ACAPI support. No real differences.

Any one else suffered the same frustrations?

Got a feeling that a retrospective installation of 98/ME may be a solution. Or perhaps setting up a dual-boot once W2k is intsalled could generate more issues.

PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I TORCH THE LOT AND GET A PS2!!
Old 15 June 2001, 11:11 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ian,

Get yourself over to
Old 15 June 2001, 11:16 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Must admit, sounds more like heat to me

you could try downloading something like SETI or equiv that uses a lot of processing power, and leaving that running for a couple of hours, if that doesnt crash, rule out heat.

Some geforce cards do have driver issues with AMD. There is an AGP driver value that can affect stuff such as this, but Ive forgotten the web address of the site

I will see if I can dig it up.

Other option is do you have a motherboard monitor software, or does your BIOS tell you your CPU temp? If so, wait till game crashes, and as fast as poss get to your BIOS, look at the CPU temp. If its around 50 degress its likely to be heat related.

Who fitted the heatsink? What compound was used, or was it the generic tape on the bottom? Sometimes heatsinks dont seat 100%.

robski
Old 15 June 2001, 11:17 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

More info.....

Go to

Trending Topics

Old 15 June 2001, 11:24 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I used to get the same problems, but with Win98.

I solved the problem by swapping the ports over. Seems the graphics card had conflicts with my network card IIRC.

I take it the graphics card is AGP, try swapping around the other components internally.

Cem
Old 15 June 2001, 11:40 AM
ChrisB

Trying load the Safe Default settings into the BIOS. I remember Lee had similar problems.

Make sure AGP is set to 1x as well.

ChrisB.
Old 15 June 2001, 01:26 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

If your gonna remove the heatsink and re apply, seriously consider a shim to protect your CPU.