What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2001, 10:04 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Full Whinge mode coming up!

I read on here regularly about the probs you guys down South have with Scooby theft, vandalism, etc. Then there are the Corsa Kids that tailgate us in our Scoobs. Not to mention the car park dingers!! Too late I've mentioned them now!

WHAT'S NEXT? CATS!

Yes, cats. Spent the last couple of weeks landscaping a banking at my house. Topsoil, plants, occasional rock - finishing it off with Pea shingle to keep the weeds down & supposedly to stop cats crapping in it.

What happens? This one cat keeps coming in and digging the place up, plants & all. We've tried throwing water at it, putting pepper down & tonite I have put down something called cat-o-pult (bought from B&Q).

If this doesn't work I'm gonna have to get really nasty. Trouble is I generally like cats & our own one doesn't even show the least bit interest in the newly finished banking. Our cat seems to be friendly with the problem cat. This cat was even in the garage one night beside my Suzy. It shows no fear!!

Any ideas??

Den
Old 30 May 2001, 11:07 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Den,

Both ne and my better half like cats too, only we're both allergic to them! Trouble is her landlord has three that are always trying to get into her flat.

Try putting some citrus down - they hate that. Bit difficult I know as you're talking about a garden, as opposed to doorways, but they really don't seem to like the sharp taste/smell of fresh cut lemons or limes. At least it's biodegradeable!

Failing that it may be time to fill your water pistol and give the 'persistent offender' a quick zap - you know how cats hate geting wet!

HTH,
Steve
Old 31 May 2001, 09:32 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well, the Cat-o-pult spray didn't work! The cats been back digging up more plants.

I'm well hacked off. Come on guys where are all the ideas for keeping cats off gardens?

Cats are also known to sit on nice warm car bonnets from time to time aswell!!! Someone must have a sensible suggestion.

Den
Old 31 May 2001, 09:56 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

......get a sponge and cut into 1 inch square cubes......soak these pieces in tuna brine and scatter around where the cat digs......cat eats and chokes to death = hey presto problem solved..........
*to save prosecution and flaming I do not recommend that this method be used*

Serious answer now - if u live near a zoo get some tiger ****e from the keeper - household felines are terrified of bigger cats and somehow recognise their smell......dunno why bit it works...its does...honest

Old 31 May 2001, 10:11 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL Richard. Thanx M8.

Old 31 May 2001, 10:19 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Den,

be careful of Richard's advice - sometime he gets me afraid, very afraid!

But seriously folks, buy several packs of those one-foot high (oops, EC standard 30cm) green plant-support canes. They don't cost a lot, but stick loads of them into the ground and cat squatting can become awkward (to say the least).

They are passive, non-chemical, probably organic and unobtrusive yet bloody effective!

mb
Old 01 June 2001, 12:44 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

My brother is a vet, and he strangely confirms that the tiger **** thing is the way to go. Also, they don't like pineaples. Who works this stuff out????

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2001, 11:28 AM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Den,

I have seen advertised in a 'Scotts of Stowe' mail order catalogue a PIR cat scarer.

This is a battery operated ultrasound alarm that is attached to a stake that you stick in the ground facing where the cats come into your garden. The cats are detected by a passive infrared detector which then triggers a high pitched ultrasound (like the old dog whistles) blast that the cats can't stand and they run away. That's the theory anyway.

I think it was in the £20-30 region.

Sean

[This message has been edited by SeanG (edited 01 June 2001).]
Old 01 June 2001, 03:53 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got and air rifle and a shotgun.....

Serious tho, I had the same problem at the front of my house. I ended up block paving the lot, let the little bas*ard try and dig that up

I'd tried water, the chemicals, citrus the lot - none worked.

David

[This message has been edited by Shark (edited 01 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Shark (edited 01 June 2001).]
Old 01 June 2001, 03:58 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Richard Askew:
<B>
Serious answer now - if u live near a zoo get some tiger ****e from the keeper - household felines are terrified of bigger cats and somehow recognise their smell......dunno why bit it works...its does...honest
[/quote]

I know that Colchester Zoo sells fertilizer for your garden that goes by the wonderful name of 'Zoo Poo' which I assume is a mixture of all sorts of animals' excrement. I presume it wouldn't be difficult to get them to knock up some '100% pure tiger poo'.

To make this a bit more scoob-related, I park my car near a fence and the local cats see the bonnet as a convenient stepping stone for jumping onto the fence. Also, there's one that likes to sleep on the intercooler scoop when it's warm. I keep getting muddy pawprints all over the bonnet -- tried WaxWizarding it but then I just get the prints of sliding paws and some scratches as well.

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 01 June 2001).]
Old 03 June 2001, 10:16 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Smile

The lion poo should be available at your local garden centre under the name of "Silent Roar" (I kid you not) !

I don't know how effective it is but it's probably worth a try.

Failing that try the water pistol/hosepipe idea or borrow a cat-hating dog for a few days.
Old 04 June 2001, 10:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You really can buy bagged tiger or lion poo?

Wow, I'm stunned. The variety of choice these days is amazing...
Old 04 June 2001, 01:16 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If I had a cat chewing up my newly laid lawn, I would shoot it with an airgun, simple as that. I have an airgun thats hard enough to hurt, but not hard enough to puncture skin.

Dont get mad, get even!
Old 04 June 2001, 11:44 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Cool

Blow Dog

Cool! Sounds good to me. Hurt first, if that doesn't work then......!

Anyway thanks guys for the replies. Have put some netting on inside of the fence & (touch wood) the cat seems to be staying away. Maybe it's just lazy & doesn't want to take the long way round for a crap!

Den
Old 05 June 2001, 12:44 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

Got a chum with a little 'semi-automatic' air pistol - 1:1 uzi replica, comes with little air canister and plastic *****. Quite amusing - again; hard enough to hurt but wouldn't break the skin. Quite good upto 30 yards or so
Old 05 June 2001, 02:27 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Fill empty plastic drinks bottles with water and leave them about, story goes that the cats dont know what it is & the light shining on/through frightens them off.

Also how does cat get in ?? if it come over a fence, fun a length of wire about 1 inch above top of fencewhen cat climbs/ jumps the top of the fence is inaccessable and cat will go else where.
Old 05 June 2001, 03:13 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Simple.

You need to get some cat chews and caustic soda( this is a bit harsh, the same as Askews outlook)...

Cover the cat chews in caustic soda, and put some water out. Cat drinks water, eats cat chews, caustic soda plus water=spleen ripping experience for the cat. Burns a hole in their tongue too.

ROFLAMO

(Legal Disclaimer, no animals were hurt or maimed in the testing of this method)
Old 06 June 2001, 09:18 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Cool

Weird as is sounds the water bottles method does work, I have one bottle placed by each wheel of the car and ever since had no paw prints on it.... strange but true.
Old 06 June 2001, 10:24 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

you could try landmines. After you get rid of the cat, you would probably need some reconstructive surgery on your lawn tho'
Old 07 June 2001, 12:29 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Smile

LOL @ fast bloke. Wait a minute, what am I doing here? Im off home /////looks for a signpost for the muppet show////
astraboy.
Old 07 June 2001, 02:35 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RichB:
<B>Weird as is sounds the water bottles method does work, I have one bottle placed by each wheel of the car and ever since had no paw prints on it.... strange but true. [/quote]

Just the advice I needed. I know it stops the paw prints but gettin that Tiger $hite off the bonnet is a real pain.

B
Old 07 June 2001, 05:15 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Angry

Blowdog, if any f*cker shot my cat they would receive the same treatment.