Credit cards?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2001, 03:35 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I have two credit cards at the mo and want to swap them ideally both onto one new or both onto new ones. So can anyone recomend good companies with good intro rates etc? I'd like to be able to check/agree a credit limit before I sign up, is this possible?

The other factor in this is that I'm thinking of buying a Scoob later in the year but I'm concerned that by applying for credit cards will show on my credit history, is this a worry, do I get a loan for the car first or will people fall over themselves to offer me cash?

thanx in advance, Bob
Old 19 May 2001, 04:30 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try here -

Old 19 May 2001, 05:50 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Cheers Dave

Brish Airways/ american express seem to be the best credit card, a bit odd I thought! It seems they could save me £140 a year on just one of my cards

I checked loans whilst I was there, Tesco seem best the there. Loyds TSB are the worst, guess who my current loan is with

Bob
Old 20 May 2001, 01:41 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Agree on the BA/Amex blue card. If you're transferring a balance then it's 5% (if I remember righly) until that balance is paid off (ie, not just the first 6 months).

Can't actually use the card anywhere but it's good for a short term loan arrangement
Old 21 May 2001, 01:32 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Egg.com are currently offering 0% on balance transfers and purchases for six months. You can apply on line and get an instant decision. Applying for any sort of credit shows on your credit history, but it will be ok as you dont apply for loads & loads of credit. Lenders are suspicious of people who apply for a lot of credit. You can easily check your credit files if you are concerned. Let me know if you would like additional info. Good luck with the Scoob purchase!!
Old 21 May 2001, 05:28 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Egg are also very accept happy, ie they'll take most people and have high limits... this means that they're taking quite a risk, not sure if this will pay off for them in the future or be reflected in their share price... they gave me a 15k limit!

Simon.
Old 21 May 2001, 08:47 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Don't get a credit card - I spend way to much and would love to get rid of mine

David
Old 22 May 2001, 05:56 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Bob,

I'd recommend egg. You get 1% CASH back on each transaction - bar balance transfers!!. ie not points or miles that you may never use. You can also manage your card on-line.

No connection with egg I'd hasten to point out!!

Hugh
Old 22 May 2001, 06:11 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Question

Bob,

I don't think that having credit cards actually affects your credit rating negatively, in fact quite the contrary, the more credit you have the easier it is to get credit (to a degree), because they can credit check you and get payment history better.

No one loves a debtor like a lender!!!!

Something I have always wanted to do is get finance arranged, then go to a show room and say I want to buy a car on my Amex..... and then offer cash for a discount.

Dave
Old 23 May 2001, 08:26 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Agree with Dave P - I had a mate apply for a mortgage & was refused several times purely because he had never had credit in his life of any sort before - therefore had no credit history.

Ro.
Old 23 May 2001, 12:05 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Cheers guys!

I really don't know what to do, I've wanted a scoob for ages but actually realised recentlty that I can afford one but then I think I can't then I can, next I'm keeping my car then I'm getting a cossie, then I'm changing credit cards! Why is life so dificult!

Bob
Old 23 May 2001, 10:54 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

AVOID EGG at all costs!!!!!

I have a card with them.

Someone applied for a loan using my egg details. Egg sent me a mail saying I'd been refused a loan, this puzzeled me as I had not applied for a loan!!!

The upshot, egg's system is very insecure, and it's causing me lots of problems getting things sorted.

Also, egg have not replied satisfactorily to my queries regarding the loan application, it's taken over a month and I've had 2 mails from them. Considering this is fraud, you expect more help from them!

my last mail to them regarding this was 2 weeks ago, still nothing.

Their current stance is the mail was sent to me because I have the same domain name as another customer, who presumably also has the same name as me????? Although I have never received any mail to this other customer. Besides which I own the company who's domain I use for my egg account, so I can check all mail going to that domain wether it's for me or a colleauge It's a total farce.
Old 23 May 2001, 11:54 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Oh, that's a bugga Matt, I hope you get sorted out.

bob
Old 24 May 2001, 10:33 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
>Something I have always wanted to do is get >finance arranged, then go to a show room >and say I want to buy a car on my Amex..... >and then offer cash for a discount.

I paid for my car with my cashpoint card card - it has SOLO or something - discount was not going to happen. It was a fun but scary way to pay.
Old 28 May 2001, 01:44 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Cool

RBS Advanta offer the best balance transfer rate as I have just done it with them at 2% I think.
08457 070 070 is the customer services number.
Old 28 May 2001, 05:10 PM
gailey
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Just arranged a loan to buy my first scooby, applied at lloydstsb first rejected straight away (won't tell me why) & then went to tesco, much better service way more helpful & they accepted me. Dunno yet about the problem with having a rejection on my credit history but would recommend tescos.
Old 29 May 2001, 09:07 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Red face

It all seems a bit of lottery to me. I applied for a current account with First Direct and they turned me down... for a current account . I then applied to Intelligent Finance and they gave me a current account, credit card, overdraft, the lot.

God knows why first direct turned me down... I not have a bad credit history, have a well paid job etc etc