Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

2 NIP's in one day (one hour in fact)

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2003, 11:33 AM
peter9898
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Is there any truth in the rumour that you can only be done for speeding once on any given day??

These two were both on a 70MPH zone (one - M4 South Wales the second a little further on, on the A48) at 94 and 88 respectively.

Any advice, gratefully received.

P.S. Whilst I own a WRX, this particular feat of Brilliance was achieved in A Corsa 1.4!!!!

Old 20 January 2003, 11:36 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I *think* that a good lawyer would be able to have this commuted as a single offence, but don't quote me on that.
Old 20 January 2003, 12:13 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

A motorcyclist that got flashed by 2 cameras 200 yards apart received 2 separate NIP's. In court he tried to plea that it was a single offence. He lost. Another guy went past the same camera 4 times in one day, getting flashed each time. He got banned for totting up 12 points.
Old 20 January 2003, 12:46 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Two separate locations and two separate times. I think you`ll struggle to argue otherwise but good luck.
Old 20 January 2003, 12:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I was under the impression that this is true but only where it could be argued they were the same offence.

For example, on the M25 if you passed two cameras within a mile or so, technically it was the same offence.

In your situ though, you would have slowed to exit the motorway then accelerated on the A road. Two seperate offences.
Old 20 January 2003, 12:53 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Unlucky

A mate of mine got caught on the same speed camera twice (about an hour apart) whilst test driving a car. He got two NIPs and he got two lots of three points
Old 20 January 2003, 12:58 PM
Rob FTM
Scooby Regular

How can it be unlucky?

****ing Stupid if you ask me. I mean you've been caught speeding so a normal person would take a reasonable degree of care for a bit wouldn't they? Oh no you drive off and speed and get caught again within one hour!

Dozy ****.

Rob.

Trending Topics

Old 20 January 2003, 01:03 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Angry

Did the Nips come recorded deliver ? if they didn't ignore em

See all the other threads on Nips

Steve
Old 20 January 2003, 02:07 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Re: Jerome's post above, there are several villages around with cameras a couple of hundred metres apart. There must be a minimum distance, otherwise they could have several cameras adjacent, or even (patent pending) 4 cameras in the same box, instant ban )

However, as you must have slowed between cameras it is unlikely that there is any viable argument in your defence.

Check all the details carefully. e.g. are the times viable? say 50 miles and only 5 minutes between recorded times would be impossible (even at your speed) and one of the NIPs is unsustainable.

Good luck.
Old 20 January 2003, 02:09 PM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

common sense sugests that the offence is speeding on a certain rd at a certain time not passing the camera (it just records the offence).

if 5 cops saw you rob a bank you dont get done 5 times, but if you then rob the bank next door and are seen by another cop you do get done twice. same as if you came back to the original back on a seperate day and where spotted again!

T
Old 20 January 2003, 02:36 PM
peter9898
Scooby Newbie

A lot of good advice here, thanks guys, I am prepared for the worst case scenario, fortunately, my Licence will carry the points.

Rob FTM why so negative??? If I had been "caught" speeding, then don't you think I would have slowed down?? These were from concealed Police vans or whatever, as there are no fixed speed cameras on the road at either point. I had no awareness of being caught until I received the NIPs a week later. Please don't insult me for no reason, not really in the spirit of friendliness is it, and I was hardly screaming the tyres through a quiet residential area now, it was a clear day on a fairly empty motorway.

Steve777, Cheers, I will follow that line of enquiry.

Peter.
Old 20 January 2003, 03:15 PM
Rob FTM
Scooby Regular

In which case I apologise. You'd have to be very unlucky IMHO to be caught twice by unmarked vans.

As you mentioned the "offences" were an hour apart I (incorrectly) assumed they were actual tickets.

I hope you can get the "offences" reduced.

Rob.
Old 20 January 2003, 05:38 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Go for the old can't remember who was driving gag.

It has been proved that it is against your civil/human rights to incriminate yourself. Can't prove it was you (Unless forward facing) so can't prosecute you.

Ask to see pictures first.

Look at some of the speeding web sites - it's on there.

Stu..
Old 20 January 2003, 06:11 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

STi go fast: so why did 'Jerome's' motorcyclist get done twice? If 200m is 2 separate bits of road, then why not 200mm? Common sense out the window I fear.
Old 20 January 2003, 07:47 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I come originally from that area of s.wales, the last few times i've gone home my dad phones me constantly to slow down as the police have become complete gits using hidden camras. They get away with it by publishing their locations in the local rag, hence people 'do know where the camras are and so have chance of slowing down' shame if you havn't picked up the local paper that week. Generally they are in the back of transit vans parked up. M4 particularly bad. 10 years ago it was probably the best place in the country to own a fast car as well no one gave a **** about open road speed limits.
Old 20 January 2003, 09:21 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Steve777

Sorry to disagree with you mate, but NIP's do not have to be sent recorded delivery anymore. The fact it's been posted to the lost known address of the registered keeper is enough.

Ed