Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

London to Cheltenham best route?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2001, 02:13 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm off to Powerstation on Sat morning to get my geometry done

Haven't been that way for 5 years so need some advice: M40/A40 or M4 to Swindon then A4019(?) I'm joining the M25 at J10(A3).

Speed cameras per journey is an issue!!

Also on the way back can anyone reccommend a few 30 mile or so twisty detours off the main drag so I can play with my new found handling??

Cheers

Justin
Old 14 March 2001, 03:07 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Justin

Would advise either:

A. M25 to M4 then M4 to Swindon then up A419 to Cheltenham.

or

B. M25 to M3, along M3 to Bracknell, cut through to M4 then up to Swindon and then A419 up to Cheltenham.

On way back, head back via A40 to M40 then back to London. A40 has quite a few roundabouts to play on, but also has a few speed cameras too

Cheers

Ian
Old 15 March 2001, 10:21 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Thumbs up

Thanks Ian

Yep I used to to the Bracknell cut through when I used to travel to Bristol many moons ago, dunno about the traffic at 10am on Saturday though!

Can anyone else suggest a twisty route home? Roundabouts on the A40 sounds a good compromise...

Justin
Old 16 March 2001, 05:54 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

O O O OO I know this one....

DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR OXFORD, its camera land!

Take the M4 to Swindon, but get off and go in to Cirencester, then follow the signs to Cheltenham. Just as you start to leave Cirencester you go past a Shell Garage on the Right then Texaco on the left.
Take the next RIGHT and you get about 19 miles of twisty with NO CAMERAS and good passing places.

Just keep going as you get near the town after going down a big hill you need to go through two sets of traffic lights (stop if they are red!)Be careful round this bit because they do traps here sometimes (its a 40 limit anyway)

At a THIRD set of lights turn RIGHT and go about 100 yds then RIGHT again into BattleDown industrial estate where PS is.

Repeat the process on the way home because its even better in that direction.

A word of caution however is that bump steer is great but the quicker turn in takes getting used to. Dont push it too hard until you are used to it. I had mine done 3 weeks ago and its ace. :-)

PS if you see a black Elise 160 leave it alone, he is a mate and its a bit fast....
Old 16 March 2001, 09:07 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

GT,
Yeah, good call. One of my fav. bits of road that, but I don't usually give it away (oh, and I couldn't remember directions like that)

Justin,
I'm at PS in the morning, so I'll see you there.

Cheers

Ian
Old 19 March 2001, 10:09 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Smile

Damn!

Didn't read the last 2 posts till now, oh well it all went OK, Did the M4 to Swindon and went the Cirencester way.
Ian, nice to put a face to the name and a BIG THANKS to Richard and all at PS, especially the technical explanation of my pre PS settings!

Did the A40/M40 home, man I have never seen so many cameras in a 30-40 mile stretch of road but 3 had also had thier geometry reset - one of which had been totally uprooted!

GT you're not wrong about the initial turn in, much sharper than before - I love it!!!!

Thanks to all

Justin