Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I need a replacement Mobile Phone

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 10:48 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just gone and lost my trusty old Nokia 5110, I'm part way through a £99/year all in deal (calls&line rental) with Vodafone and I don't have any insurance that'll cover the loss of the phone. I suspect my only option is to either buy a sim free phone to replace the one I've lost or ditch the existing contract and start a new one. Looking at the cost of new sim free phones the new contract looks the cheapest route. I fancy the Nokia 6210, anyone know of cheapest place to pick up one of these. Any advice from anyone that's lost their phone would also be appreciated.

Kevin.
Old 12 March 2001, 10:11 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Kevin,

I have just (last week) upgraded my 5110 to a 6210 and am delighted with it - a much slimmer and better designed hand set and it fits the Nokia car kit I have in the Subaru.

100% recommended and I paid £35.00 for the phone.

Richard
Old 12 March 2001, 11:16 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Talking

Richard,

Thanks for that, which network are you with ?

Kevin.
Old 12 March 2001, 06:26 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Kevin,

if you lost your phone, then presumably you lost your SIM as well!

If you want to keep your old number, you will need to contact Vodafone to see if they can transfer the number to another SIM (at a cost). Maybe also ask them if they do deals to purchase a replacement phone on the original contract (and tell them that you will change network if they can't help!).

If you still have your SIM, buy a cheap pay as you go phone and swap the SIMs.

I would think that the 6210 without a contract would be quite pricey (although very lovely)

mb
Old 13 March 2001, 02:25 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Got my Nokia 6210 on Orange from Miah Telecom in St Albans. The phone was free and came with a leather case, hands free kit and car phone charger.

The phone is free as long as you sign up for a year to Orange.

Be warned, I'm on my second one and soon be on my third is less than three months!!

After 7 weeks, the microphone decided to fail. I could hear the callers, but they couldn't hear me.

Now a fortnight after the replacement, my phone no longer recieves a signal!!!

I reported it tonight, and they have told me that I will have to wait for the technical staff to look into the problem. If I didn't have spare Orange phone, I would have had to make do without a phone for 2-3 days!!!

My friend has had battery problems with his. He makes or takes a call, and even after a short call the battery indicator will drop to half!!! Although two minutes of charging will take it back up to full again!!!

Andy
Old 13 March 2001, 10:16 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Talking

Boomer/Andy

Thanks for that, SIM's lost as well but Vodafone have offered an upgrade for £35 but I first have to buy the 6210 at a price of £69.99. After Andy's note I'll maybe look at the other phones on offer.

Kevin
Old 13 March 2001, 10:50 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

FNR can be expensive.
If you can risk losing your old number it may be a better option to wind your contacts up by changing to a new number. Anyway, you have to reprogram all your numbers too

Pay as you go phones are sometimes locked to not only the Service Provider, but the service as well! Therefore, if you put a Cellnet Sim in a Vodafone PAYG phone, it will not work.
Old 13 March 2001, 11:11 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Kevin,

After watching a Watchdog, there will always be problems with new mobile phones. Doesn't matter what network or what make. They try to punt them out so quickly they aren't fully tested!!!

The Ericson T10/T18 use to switch themselves off. Fixed after being in production for about 6 months.

I went through 4 Nokia 7110 on Vodafone in a year!!! I had the microphone problem as on my Nokia 6210 twice. I had the reception problem once, and battery problem as well!

My sister has a 3210 that wouldn't switch off or on properly! There was also a known battery problem with these phones as well. 15 minutes of talking on the phone would run the battery flat!!!

My other sister had reception problems with her Moterola V phone on Vodafone!!

The list goes on and on. I suggest that you buy a phone you like, but check how they go about replacing it.

If it's from Vodafone Retail (High Street shop) they will take the phone in and send it about to their technical team to repair/replace them. They took about a fortnight to turn them around. Except once they lost my phone!!! Took nearly a month to get a phone out of them. That's why I'm no longer on Vodafone, and won't have a Nokia 7110 again!!!

Orange will normally ship a phone out next day, for a direct swap. It needs to a common problem first, if not you potentially have to wait up to 2 to 3 days without a phone.

Suprisingly my most reliable phone was a Nokia 8210 that I bought SIM-free. But my sister with the dodgy Moterola has now nicked that!!! Oh well!!!

Bloody mobiles!!! About 5 years ago they weren't that important. Now we can't live out them, and hate living with them!!!!

Andy
Old 13 March 2001, 09:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Kevin,

GBP35 admin + GBP70 hardware for a 6210 sounds like a good deal if you want to keep the same number and network. Will they honour your paid-up-front contract as well (presumably x-minutes a month for free) - if so, even better.

I have been with Orange for years, so it is good to see that other networks are being more flexible towards the customer - well done Vodafone!

mb
Old 13 March 2001, 11:24 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Smile

Boomer,

Bit the bullet and went for the upgrade@ 35 quid and the 6210@ 69 quid - same number and kept the existing contract - thought it wasn't a bad deal, here's hoping the 6210 doesn't break down like Andy's. Have to say I've been impressed with Vodafone's service and flexibility since I joined - don't have any other experience mind you.

Kevin.