Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If so , fancy a fight!!
Old 07 March 2001, 01:51 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol you hard person you.

I used to do kali for a year or so, but thas it really. (its a variation of kickboxing , using a mixture karate and judo techniques)
Old 07 March 2001, 01:56 PM
beatle
Scooby Regular

Ive read about that..pretty effective , ive been doing karate for about 8 years just wondered who else was a lethal weapon as well as driving lethal weapons
Old 07 March 2001, 03:54 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

I didn't know they did karate suits in XXXL (waist). Learn something new every day...
Old 07 March 2001, 04:06 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

What style do you do beatle?
Old 07 March 2001, 04:30 PM
beatle
Scooby Regular

AWD
Ishin-ryu
Old 07 March 2001, 05:14 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Black belt - though havn't done it for 2 years now (kids !) so a bit rusty.
Never used it defence - I would rather run !!!!!

Ro
Old 07 March 2001, 05:16 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh dear, watch out Bajie's coming.
Old 07 March 2001, 05:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I can't but my partner's youngest daughter who is 6 does karate, and she's pretty good at it. put it this way, I won't even spar with her!

so she'd be well up for giving you a serious kicking
Old 07 March 2001, 06:33 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmmm did a form of Martial Arts for a while, was never any good at it!

Old 07 March 2001, 07:48 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Cool

I don't do Karate but.... I do Tae Kwon Do , and no I don't really want a fight , unless you catch me when I'm drunk
Old 07 March 2001, 09:23 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I did Wado-Ryu for about 8 years, but haven't trained for about 4 years. Also did 1 year of Kung Fu at university, and jiu-jitsu for 1 year during my year off.

The way I see it - the more styles you expose yourself to, the better (within reason)
Old 07 March 2001, 10:53 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Tai-chi

road peace not rage.

Minimum effort for maximum effect.

i.e. Always ram the rear corner of a saloon to move it.
Old 08 March 2001, 07:46 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm surprised that this thread went on as long as it did before Origami was mentioned....

Old 08 March 2001, 07:49 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been waiting for H to respond - I'm pretty sure he's into this sort of thing, and he's usually an early bird (with a sore head).
Old 08 March 2001, 09:03 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

a hangover from a big Origami session?

Old 08 March 2001, 10:10 AM
beatle
Scooby Regular

Im suprised it took this long before it started heading towards the realms of muppetdom...I dont want to fight anyone anyway in fact if you ask most martial artists (myself included ) most of them have never had to use it .
Old 08 March 2001, 10:52 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've never ever hit anyone who didn't either hit me or try to hit/stab/attack me first. I've always regretted having to use it as well.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.
Old 08 March 2001, 12:38 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oragami
Old 08 March 2001, 02:56 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The worst bit "I am trained in Martial Arts and will use it to defend myself if required"...

If anyone knows the Bull Finch in Bracknell, a really nice pub, dont ever take the missus there for a drink because you end up having to use it!

Ask Nat-last saturday....I was lucky not to get a scratch on me or on her. Getting a drink from a bar....and cue table of lads with crude comment at Nat, cue Nat-Oh dear, cue table of blokes (4 up vs Ronnie!) squaring up to me at a bar in this nice restraunt.

The term "get em in early" was clearly taught to these lads, until of course I had some room to move about.

Not a nice experience, wont be using that pub again!

Not a scratch, very lucky and somewhat relieved that Nat did not get a slap.

The world is nasty...a few lessons in basic self defense is a seriously good investment.

Old 08 March 2001, 11:31 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

O'heck Ronnie think i'll stick to staying in doors and practicing me paper folding.

Si
Ps Glad your both okay
Old 09 March 2001, 12:30 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Smile

It would appear that Bracknell has the same "new town" problem as my local one, Basildon. I did Tang Soo Do (Korean) for 3 years when younger and it still comes in handy when forced to use violence to get out of a tricky situation. I'm not brilliant at using it but it helps to know what hard part of your body to insert in the nearest soft part of the oppos ( can I say that ). The only times I have been forced to use the technique is in Basildon when some p155ed moron is looking to impress his mates/girlfriend etc and decides the nearest bloke will do.

Fortunatley since Xmas I have lost about 1 1/2 stone in weight and can now outrun most of these idiots rather than having to face them down

Yex
Old 09 March 2001, 12:55 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Yex:
<B>...it helps to know what hard part of your body to insert in the nearest soft part of the oppos[/quote]

Is this Tang Soo Do some sort of karma sutra thing?
Old 09 March 2001, 07:41 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

The wife has been doing Kick boxing for the last 16 years [she's 30 in April] and is very very good, so good that she is now an instructer, the kids know the moves as well.
I use the built like a tank method, normaly followed by the best Sarf London accent using a few crude words that I can manage, which is normaly good enough, some people call it bluffing. Still when push comes to shove no matter how big hard etc etc you are its always better to run and live if that is possible, otherwise just fight 1 person even if there is a group, [we are not all Steven Segal] you may end up with a kicking but if you can do the same or hopeful worse to just 1 of them PC Plod will have someone to talk to when they come out of a coma.

And if all else fails I'll get my wife to come and sort you out !! OK.

Old 09 March 2001, 08:54 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Did Wing-Chun for a couple of years and only had to use it once some while later. Was a bit rusty but it certainly saved me that day along with being about 5 stone lighter than I am today.

Always fancied Jeet Kune Do ( Big Bruce Lee fan back in the 70's ) which was the best of all the disciplines rolled into one.
Old 09 March 2001, 09:08 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

As soon as I heard Bracknell mentioned I couldn't resist posting here. I did karate (Sh1to Ryu) for a while, but it's pretty useless if you're in Bracknell. I got a good kicking resulting in hospital visits twice there. First time was at lunchtime on my 21st birthday at the Bridge pub. I'm fairly squiffy and some toe rag decides to put a dampener on the day and punch my (defenceless) lights out. Great way to remember your 21st. Second time, 8 blokes outside the nightclub in the cinema complex decide to give me and my mate a kicking.

Lovely place Bracknell. Even Bruce Lee would have struggled against the cowardly scum that that make the place a sh1thole for the law abiding majority.

I've since given up karate, because the time I most needed it, it was no use. I definitely prefer the running away method.

Jerome.

(Edited because Sh1to is apparently a rude word.)

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 09 March 2001).]
Old 09 March 2001, 10:08 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

It is always best to retreat if possible.

There is no point whatsoever in squaring up against a bunch of morons. What does it prove? Nothing IMO.

Sometimes it isn't possible though.

It's at these times that you have to hope that you're lucky...

BTW, IMO martial arts shouldn't be learnt just for self defence. There is so much that you can get from martial arts besides the ability to defend yourself. Also doing martial arts shouldn't mean that you are more likely to try things that you would otherwise have thought twice about (danger wise).
Old 09 March 2001, 10:37 AM
beatle
Scooby Regular

I think it also makes you more aware , and it teaches that getting hit isnt as bad as you think its going to be ,its the fear of being hit .........unless of course your getting a good kicking from 8 blokes then it bloody hurts
Old 09 March 2001, 10:49 AM
RAZZ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I practised JKD (jeet kune do) for about a year and a half with a friend who's done it for 10 years. The guy was a walking lethal weapon and even after the time he had spent doing it he said he was nowhere near finished (jeez)!!!!!!!!!!.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil Micklethwaite:
<B>Did Wing-Chun for a couple of years and only had to use it once some while later. Was a bit rusty but it certainly saved me that day along with being about 5 stone lighter than I am today.

Always fancied Jeet Kune Do ( Big Bruce Lee fan back in the 70's ) which was the best of all the disciplines rolled into one.[/quote]

Old 09 March 2001, 01:10 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong. I ALWAYS WALK AWAY.

But the door was the only exit, and one of the chaps in this hole in Bracknell just would not sit down and carry on his 19th pint with the other im-bred monkeys he was with.

Quick Reply: Any body do karate