Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Road Rage Incident - Advice Required

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 04:16 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was involved in what can only be considered a road-rage incident on Xmas Eve on the way from work and now need some advice from my fellow scoobynetters.

In short, I overtook someone on a dual carriageway and he seemed to take it as an indication that I wanted to race him. Having slowed down for the oncoming roundabout, he then shunted me up the backside. Naturally I pulled over to the side of the road and he then t-boned me and drove into the drivers door to stop me from getting out. By the time I had climbed over the passenger seat, and opened the door, he was at the door and pulled me out and threw me to the ground, threatening to kill me etc etc. I tried to call the police but he grabbed my phone and only gave it back to on the condition I did not call the police.

A member of the public saw what was happening and, thankfully, stopped to help me.

After a heated row between us, which was calmed down only by the guy who stopped, we exchanged details and he left. I thanked the guy that had stopped and whilst he could not be a witness to the accident as he didn't see it, he gave me his details as a witness to the assault (if it can be called that).

I drove home, very shocked and upset. Partly because I was embarrassed that someone had scared me so much, but also because my beloved Scooby now needs a new rear bumper and paintwork to the drivers door.

With family to see that night and Christmas Day, I carried on as normal and then flew to Japan to see my brother-in-law on Boxing Day.

Having now returned from a wonderful holiday, I have reported the incident to my insurance company. However, the insurance broker details that he gave me have told me that have no policy for him (either by number plate search or name search). I've tried directory enquiries and he's not listed and the local Electoral Register and he's not registered.

With a compulsory excess on my policy, I'm not happy claiming on my insurance.

Can anyone advise me where to go next? Cheers.

Andy
Old 07 January 2003, 04:19 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

jesus! that sounds like a serious incident, have you reported it to the police?
Old 07 January 2003, 04:21 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Yuo should have run him over..
Old 07 January 2003, 04:23 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Angry

What a b@stard!!! Stuff like this makes me really [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

My rear bumper got hit by an idiot in a vectra in the summer, he gave me a false name, false phone number and false address. In his haste he'd given me the name of an old school mate, an old address and a bullsh1t phone number. All of these related to south queensferry and I used 192.com to find the person who's name he'd given. From my description of the person and the car the poor sucker that had been named figured out who it was and went round to 'persuade him' to pay up....which he did

Keep trying mate, this pr1ck needs to be brought to justice. If you've not done so I'd involve the police now.
Old 07 January 2003, 04:24 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Did the witness get his reg no etc?

Report it if you have it to the police, if they can trace him then sue him for gbh as well.

Personally if my car had been tw@tted by someone who then went mental i'd have rammed their car off the fekking road.
Old 07 January 2003, 04:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Got to be police next stop. You have an excuse for not reporting it immediately, but be warned, if they can't pocket the fine these days, they're not that bothered.
Alcazar:
Old 07 January 2003, 04:31 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Andy

Did you not get the license number of the car... or your witness get the number of the car.... I am gutted too..... (my poor ex-baby)..... After this length of time, there will be very little the police can do. He was probably p'eed out of his scull...

You are very lucky that he didn't do any damage to you - is the car not fully comp? - there are some complete nutters out there, I had a run in with some B*tch the other morning because I was in an area I didn't know well and missed the split second the lights turned green... which she got out of her car and made a huge issue out of.

I'm really sorry Andy... even if you can remember some of the license number and make & model of car that may be a start if you ring the DVLA and tell them what happened - who knows.
Old 07 January 2003, 04:42 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your comments - the unanimous answer is to go to the police which I will.

It was a silver Fiat Punto HGT (and I do have the registration number!) I believe he lives in Walton On Thames.

Absolutely gutted Penni - I can't believe someone has knocked your old and my new car - yes, it's fuly comp but with a £500 compulsory excess, I don't see why I should have to pay it when I didn't do anything wrong (other than just get caught at the wrong time on the wrong road!).

Old 07 January 2003, 04:44 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Bad luck, mate.

As The Happy Mondays once sang - call the cops. You never know, you may get lucky and they might catch the cvnt.
Old 07 January 2003, 05:47 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

I work in Walton on Thames - PM or email me full details of what to keep an eye out for....
Old 07 January 2003, 07:39 PM
moomin
Scooby Regular

SS - really sorry to here this mate but there are some right tw@s round here. Hardly in the festive spirit!

Where did this take place? Only reason I ask is that quite a few of the duel carriageways around here do have cameras at either end. If it’s on film for £10 you can have a copy from the powers that be. I think the rozzers may be interested if they are presented with a video of the entire event.

I had a very similar situation myself about a year ago in Bracknell. It also ended up in a confrontation which left me a bit shaky. I’m not skinny and I’m over 6ft but this guy was a mountain (were talking Giant Haystacks here!). I wouldn’t have had any complaints if I was in the wrong or driving like an idiot but I wasn’t so I know how you feel!

May be worth a trip to the local cruises you never know he may be lurking at one.

Drop me a mail (as profile) if you want. Would like to help if I can.
Old 07 January 2003, 08:53 PM
grabber
Scooby Regular

i read a few of these types of threads on here over the past couple of months , most of which end up the same, the car reg doesn't match the driver/insurer. so i now carry a throw away camera in the glove box just in case, it might be a useful tool in getting the real name & adress
Old 07 January 2003, 09:34 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if he's driving a sporty hgt (well sporty for a punto) then he might be on a fiat buliten board. Try their gallery to see if he's put his pic in or try a few posts asking about " the nice hgt " you saw while out driving. maybe he or someone else will know of this cars whereabouts and you can try to arrange a meet to talk about the car but you take a few mates
Old 07 January 2003, 09:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

It puzzles me as to why you didnt go STRAIGHT to the Police??

The ONLY reason I wouldnt is if I wanted to 'sort' it out myself, as you do NOT want the Police to think of you as a possible attacker.

Police I think

Pete
Old 08 January 2003, 12:25 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

I had a similar sort of "incident" about a couple of years back,a bloke decided to lay a couple on me and i didnt even smack him back!!!(ive never been afraid to stick up for myself believe it or not!),these things happen so quickly that you sometimes dont have time to react until its all over,its amasing what a bit of suprise shock does!!I couldnt stop thinking about what i should have done for weeks after.
Revenge comes to those who wait!!!
I hope it all works out for the best.

easy
Old 08 January 2003, 03:26 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Bloody hell that is bad mate. Ive lost count of how many road rage attacks i have been in, so much so im totally used to it now. I keep a nice crook lock in the car with me at all times just incase **** like this happens. I will fight if needs be but if i know i cant win then that comes out. Its funny how the sight of a piece of steel can change peoples minds.

Anyway with regards to you, why dont you hang around for a while in the hopes of spotting the **** again. If you do, follow him back to his house then contact the police.

Dont forget, EVERY CONTACT LEAVES A TRACE, So if you ever find him you will have to preserve the evidence on your car. There will be paint/mud etc on your car from his and vice versa so if possible take it too your local forensic scientist for analysis, that way if you do find him you have the evidence for conviction. Its up to you whether to bother though.

Hope it all works out for you mate.

Scrappy
Old 08 January 2003, 07:58 AM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies guys - I've contacted the witness again last night to make sure they're still up for helping me and 'll be off to the police this station in Woking this evening. I know I should have reported it earlier but too much on my mind with Xmas/family/holiday etc.

P.S Pictures have obviously been taken of the damage to my car now so we'll see how it goes.

Andy
Old 08 January 2003, 08:19 AM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

by the way mate dont feel bad bout letin someone scare you in this situation cause in this day when some ****** does that to you if your not scared you need to see a shrink at the end of the day you have your life and thats all that counts all the best
steve
Old 08 January 2003, 08:31 AM
zero_to60
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't have got out of the car personally unless unavoidable - perhaps I'm just a soft lad? but these kind of people worry me - to ram your car like that the guy must be a few sandwiches short of a picnic
Old 08 January 2003, 08:47 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

I believe the DVLA will post to you the address to where the car is registered if you pay a small fee and tell them you are from some kind of private company and the car is illegally parked or similar excuse.
Old 08 January 2003, 09:40 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Name and Shame....

What car was it? What did he look like? How Old?

B*stards like this need locking up...

Mak.
Old 08 January 2003, 10:06 AM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

Wise words Redkop!
With hindsight, I should have stayed in the car but the rage in his eyes suggested he would have smashed the window and then proceeded to kick in every panel!
Old 08 January 2003, 10:29 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Scooby Snacks I can understand that he was probably capable of that, some people just totally lose it....road 'rage' is a very apt name isn't it?

You don't have time for logical thinking when confronted with such a scary situation. Instinct just takes over.
Old 08 January 2003, 10:53 AM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Andy
Good luck with the police good job you have all the details... get the guy arrested for assult....if there is anything I can do please let me know.

P
Old 08 January 2003, 11:10 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Give the number to **************, i'm sure we could rally an army from people on here and go and scare him like he scared you.

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Tosser!
Old 08 January 2003, 11:13 AM
rmw986
Scooby Newbie

If this happened when you were on your back from work chances are he was doing the same.
Might be worth 1 hour of your time to sit nearby one day and see if the car goes by. I know this is a really crap waste of time but if you havent got his reg you are a little bit stuck as to what to do next.
As mentioned before use the fiat web sites and search engines. The internet is a powerful tool!
Old 08 January 2003, 11:33 AM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

You missed an opportunity in Japan, you should have taken up martial arts!!! and the next time this happens....Hong Kpong Phueey.

Call the old bill fill in a report and see where it goes...
Old 08 January 2003, 11:54 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

In a much less dramatic hit and run involving an uninsured driver, my insurance company told me there is a fund you can claim from that all the insurance companies chip in for uninsured drivers. Unless someone is hurt they said you have to pay the first £185 but that is probably less than your excess. I didn't actually follow this through because the damage to my car was so minor but it may give you some hope...

Quick Reply: Road Rage Incident - Advice Required