Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

306 GTi-6 - Opinions please??

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2000, 08:22 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I brought a brand new Pug 206 (not a GTI or anything, or an import), about this time last year, and believe me it is not an experience I wish to repeat. The first one I had was scratched to pieces (requiring one whole side of the car to be re-sprayed) and registered in the dealers name not mine . I rejected that one and had various cr*appy courtesy cars for 2 months while another 206 was ordered.
I won't bore you with the rest of the details (and I can't be bothered to type them ) but suffice to say it did not get any better.
When I eventually got a good car it was actually very good indeed (not as good as the Scooby of course!), but the dealers where all pants, and I tried a few.
In summary - don't buy a pug!!!

Old 29 December 2000, 08:54 AM
longun
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry ed but I have to disagree. Sorry to here you had trouble with them but my little 306 XSI is a great little car. Dealers arn't the best I will agree but there not the worst out there. The car hasn't given me any trouble yet but it is only three months old. It's Ok on petrol as long as you drive it well, it can drink a bit more if you constantly give it some but thats true of any car.

Test drive one to see what you think I think you will like it.

[This message has been edited by longun (edited 29 December 2000).]
Old 29 December 2000, 12:36 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Question

I need to buy a new car in February, and unfortunately due to petrol consumption to and from work I cant have an Impreza. However as an ex Pug GTi (205) owner, the 306 GTi-6 has presented itself as a decent alternative.

Anyone out there had any experience of owning one with regards running costs, economy, insurance, reliability, problems etc?

Cheers
DW
Old 29 December 2000, 04:38 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Talking

Isnt the 306 being replaced very soon?
Old 29 December 2000, 04:53 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Had the following - most recent first, all from new:

2 x 206 GTI (one each!!)
306 GTI-6
306 S16
205 GTI 1.6

206GTI - absolute crap. More like a mini MPV than a GTI. Suspension too soft, too narrow track and too tall so didn't handle. Engine gutless. Steering inert. Won't bother to go on. PX'ed them both after 3 months for two MY00 Scoobs. Would not recommend 206 GTI as a serious drivers car.

306 GTI-6. Bought new in 1997 and ran until April 2000. For what it is, brilliant car. The best GTI I have had, and i've had a lot!!
Gutsy engine, 6 speed box keeps it on the cam, excellent handling (but a bit tail happy if pushed...), PeugeotSport GpA exhaust so sounded good, reliable and cheap to run (extended the warranty until year 4). Would thoroughly recommend one.

306 S16. Many niggling faults (mainly poor performance) most of which cured with GTI-6.

205 GTI. Speaks for itself!!!
Old 29 December 2000, 08:18 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My fellow Muppet Dave and myself have a similar taste in cars (is that a good or a bad thing? ). Before the Scoob, I owned a 205 GTI and a 306S16. 205 was (and still probably is) one of the sweetest handling FWD cars (especially the non-power steering variants) you could buy.

S16 was pretty good too - not so involving, but a decent car. I ran one for close on two years with no serious problems and it was very reliable. Averaged around 30 MPG for a regular round trip commute of roughly 60 miles (over some 'nice' roads). The S16 suffered from a notchy gearbox and needed a bit more grunt, both of these issues, as Dave said were fixed with the later GTI-6s.

Personally I would recommend it. If you want a more insurnace friendly version go for the XSi - still quick and a very nice car. It is true that the 306 is being phased out, but that does mean that you should be able to cut a good deal and the car will be fully loaded with all the goodies (the new XSi's look almost identical to the GTI-6's).

Cheers

Chris
Old 30 December 2000, 11:50 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Smile

A friend of mine has owned his 306 GTI 6 for 2 years from new and has never had a problem. Great engine and gearbox with good handling. The only downside is you can get better for less (306 Rally(if you can find one)or Second hand Integra with all the whistles and flutes and if you dont use the Vtec every second, great fuel economy.

Happy hunting
Old 30 December 2000, 03:00 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chris
Personally, in this season of goodwill.....I feel sorry for both of us
Old 30 December 2000, 03:14 PM
McMiata Man
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Past & present cars for comparison sakes...

306 XSI (2L 8V) present
Eunos Roadster (1.6 16V) present

Fastest car: R5 GT Turbo (destroyed on re-entry)
Slowest: Sierra

The 306 is my favourite car to date. The handling is superb as are the brakes (ABS). I managed to keep up with my brother-in-law on the road from Dundee to Crail. He was in his Evo 5 by the way. My Pug is a little underpowered but makes up for it with late braking abilities and hard cornering.

Power band seems to be between 4 and 5 K revs.

Car is over 4 years old and everything seems to be A-Okay. Reliable, comfortable and looks good too.

8 Valve is VERY thirsty though so be warned.

Standard Blaupunkt sounds are fine.

Still want a Scooby though

Soon.
Old 30 December 2000, 04:10 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Go for a 306 Rallaye as it is a rarer car and also less money but as good as the GTi-6, perhaps better.

Tim
Old 30 December 2000, 04:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Ive owned 2 306 gti-6's one a phase 1 the other a phase 2, go for the phase 2 as there were less problems on them, if you buy a pre 98 car check that it has been recalled for re-routing of fuel lines. both my cars had head gasket probs, but after they were replaced there was no signs of them going again.
The phase 2 had the better gearbox, dont know what they did to it but it was an improvement over the phase 1, i did prefer the interior on the phase 1 though, more leather thrown in!!
Low down torque is the gti-6's greatest feature, 4th gear in town at 25mph and it still pulled!! (dare i say better than the scoob ) The biggest down side is the rather large turning circle ive seen volvos with smaller turning circles!!! its large so be warned!!
Fuel economy was pretty good actually, they are abit thirsty in town but not that bad overall, as for the engine, my standard car was pushing 177bhp (phase 2) and 147@wheels
If you want the comfort then get the gti-6, a/c, full electrics, great brakes, the lot, if not then go for a rallaye, no e/w, a/c and no leather interior but... its about 25kg lighter!!
Its a great car, go to the dealer and ask for a test drive, i did and then i said goodbye to my r19 16v doh!!!!

Tony
Old 30 December 2000, 06:01 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tony
The turning circle - this was because when they changed from the 5sp box of the 306 S16 to the 6sp of the GTI-6 it was by putting an extended end casing on the gearbox to take the extra cog. They had to shorten the lock stops so the n/s wheel did not foul the gearbox end so had the bizarre situation that lock was better in one direction than the other - I can't remember which one ( I think left) but it nearly caught me out a few times!!
Old 30 December 2000, 10:47 PM
sourob
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have owned 306 xsi 306s16 306gti6 and i loved my 306gti6.It was a real fun little car and i can only recommend it.My first one was diablo red then i had a black one which i preffered,go for it!!