Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who wears the trousers.

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2000, 10:00 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm confused. Why do so many people ask the missus before they buy something? Or in the instance in the forsale area, some poor chap has been more or less told to sell his scoob and then there is Puff fighting off a rear guard attack from his missus.

Is it not possible to say tuff. I want the car, I like the car, I'M KEEPING THE CAR.
Unless the money is needed for a new house or something, I don't understand how the woman has so much control.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

P.
Old 03 October 2000, 10:36 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Sith

You married?

In my case, she doesn't have too much control - she doesn't know about the mods She would rather the money was in a PEP/ISA, rather than sitting in a garage ready for my playtime - to which she's not interested. Therefore every other day I get a dig about selling it She doesn't understand the passion either. I've also got another battle over my GSXR & this BBS gets a going over every now & again. At the moment, I've got both bike & car, so I must be winning ( ???).

Not sure if I've enlightened you...
Old 04 October 2000, 08:59 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

"I don't understand how the woman has so much control?"

You're not married, are you?

It all makes sense when you're married. For me, it's great (3 years and counting) and I like to keep it that way.

The scoobysport exhaust cost me a tenner in flowers to keep SHMBO* happy. If someone's pee'd off with you and you live with them, they can make your life hell apparently.

Wedded bliss needs maintenance. It's give and take. Communication seems to be the secret of success, hence telling SHMBO before frivolous spending.

Think how many shoes you could buy with a scoobysport exhaust? Whereas we measure shoes in tanks of petrol or beer vouchers.

Dunno if you expected a semi-serious reply, but that's almost semi serious

* = She Who Must Be Obeyed...

[This message has been edited by chiark (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 09:21 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Trade & Barter doesn't work all the time tho'

She <B>NEEDS</B> [sic] a new winter coat When I suggested that in return I could have a SS Exhaust - no chance!
Old 04 October 2000, 09:55 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Puff,

thought you exhaust was blowing

robski
Old 04 October 2000, 10:10 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Your'e right Im not married!

This is why I needed the clarification.

You both seem to be doing well. I guess it is give and take.

Chiark got it right to frivolous spending. What may frivolous to her is of major importance to you.
When she decides she want's a new coat, shoes, oh and that outfit that costs £250 she seems to buy it. You wan't something for the car and it's a case of 'I don't think so some how'.

Puff's second post backs this up.

I guess it depends on how your relationship is built. And the type of women. They do seem more tempramental if they don't get their own way though. (seen this with my own eyes.)

I am sure I will find out sooner or later.

Enjoy,

P.

Old 04 October 2000, 10:16 AM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well I just got married, first thing I did when I got back from Honeymoon was order a new set of wheels and tyres! Nice!

Gotta start work on her to let me buy the Scooby, she did agree it would be a sensible thing to do ( 5 door ) the other night so that's first base cleared... just need the money now

hmm... maybe I shouldn't have bought the new wheels for the Golf DOH! Mind you I would make an ideal Hill Climb car, Ahh may need to buy some flowers again!

Scott!
Old 04 October 2000, 10:46 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wives have their uses... they make Scooby insurance much more affordable. She didn't even want to come on the test drive, but once she did she wants to drive it all the time even though I tell her I could drive our 90bhp fiesta as fast as she drives a Scoob. Doesn't wash though

I might be able to palm her off with a Puma though which she'll want to drive all the time (if the colour is girlie enough). I couldn't talk her into the 1.4 though and she has thoughts of Boxters and Fer 360s (dream on...). At least she is sympathetic to the fast car cause/fund/insurance etc although she still does not understand the significance of a subwoofer. She knows when I let her have the Scoob that it must be true love though. I think she might have a go on the track at some point.

And she does get jealous of the wonderful scoobynet!
Old 04 October 2000, 04:18 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

&gt;Does not understand the significance of a subwoofer

Buy her one. A small cheap one. She'll be converted. I fitted my old kit into Lyndsy's car (good excuse to upgrade whilst waiting for the scoob to arrive). When the scooby turned up, no way would she lose the CD-changer or minidisc head unit, or speakers.

"Oh dear, I'll have to buy some more". Damn, damn, damn. And bought her a sub at the same time.

8 inches is enough for her, subwoofer-wise.
Old 04 October 2000, 04:22 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Chiark, I think it's because women have that ultimate threat that seems to work every time on a bloke.

You know the one - "None for you tonight"

Old 04 October 2000, 06:00 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Kept the missus happy - bought her a MY00 at the same time I bought mine (dealer thought Christmas had come early) - it was her idea to fit a full SS exhaust system not mine (mind you it had crossed my mind.....)
I must be doing something right (of course you only get to hear about it when it is something wrong.....!!)
Old 04 October 2000, 07:15 PM
Carolyn T-S
Scooby Regular

OK boys, ask yourselves this question. Does she ask your permission every time she goes for a manicure, buys a pair of shoes, book a weekend away, buys clothes, buys make up, new handbag etc etc...?

No ?

Then why ask her permission when you want to change your car ?

Are you men or mice ?

If you can afford it and keep feeding/clothing the kids JDI !

From a very understanding wife, who is desperate to justify to hubby a new set of Gold wheels !!

Really must learn to type after a couple of glasses of wine
[This message has been edited by Carolyn T-S (edited 04 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Carolyn T-S (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 11:28 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Wink

Never once asked my wife whether I should buy a car or not . . . . . . . . .

Live on my own now ! ! !

SCOOP
Old 05 October 2000, 10:16 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Okay, we (Dom and me) got married in April(have been together for 11 years this month).

What was our wedding present to each other? An RB5 (and 2 gigantic leather sofas - 1 each, couldn't resist!) - completely in love with it (the car), and woe betide anyone who tries to come between us and our car! It'll be a very sad day when it goes (if ever), but it'll no doubt be replaced with something just as great, but I don't want to think about that at the moment.

Must admit, probably does help that I've always been into cars (& football) - the rows are about our respective footie teams, makes/models of cars - not money.