Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody had an FTO

Old 12 July 2000, 01:36 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about buying one and need an unbiased opinion of them.

Thanks

Mark
Old 12 July 2000, 06:25 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Mark,

got a friend who has one and I've driven it quite a bit. Brain dump follows:-

- Quite quick albeit not as fast as Scoob
- Gourgous sounding V6 engine
- Revs like the clappers (85000 rpm?)
- Needs louder exhaust sysyem
- Nice sharp steering; much more direct than Scoob
- Well balanced steering or a front drive car; not much torque steer - overall very netrual on the limit
- Excellent build quality
- Ride can be a little harsh and fidgety in town; but overall pretty good

I reckon they are really fun little cars that can be got for under £10K in very good condition. A bit of a bargin, although I personally would prefer a Fiat Coupe Turbo given the choice since they are very similar cost - but the Mitsubishi would be much more reliable!

Hope this helps,

Andy

PS. If you are still after an FTO the friend of mine is actually selling his - but I hope my opinion is still unbiased!
Old 12 July 2000, 09:42 PM
Steve Hartland
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree with everything that Andy says, this is because my bother has owned one for the last year, and coincidentally his is also up for sale, only because he has reciently got married, broat a house and now his wife is expecting, just to much out goings. If interested mail him at andy.hartland@ttsl.thomson-csf.com or andy.hartland@bigfoot.com

Steve
Old 12 July 2000, 10:33 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Tiptronic is fantastic, very claustraphobic though nowhere near as quick as a scobby.

Cheers
Simon
Old 13 July 2000, 11:28 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the info. I was a bit worried about the FWD but you have confirmed what I have read so I think I'll go and find one to test drive.
I probably won't be buying one for a couple of months so I imagine the two cars mentioned would be gone by then.

Andy P
I need something reliable, good MPG and well built, the Fiat doesn't really score on those counts. Also the Fiat feels like very unstable when cornering fast. Too much power for the car methinks. Shame really as the engine is wonderful.

Thank again

Mark
Old 13 July 2000, 01:31 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Mark,

"I need something reliable" - FTO should do the trick. I have to say, after owning a FIAT myself I went and bought a Scoob primeraly for reliability! I hated the steering wheel feel when I first got the Scoob, I've mellowed a bit and just disklike it now! FTO has definitely got more feel through the wheel.
"good MPG" - my observations are based on the V6 MIIVEC (2.0 litres I think). Still amazes me that they get over 190bhp from a normally aspirated 2litre - but I think a FIAT Coupe 20v Turbo will get much better fuel consumption than the FTO. Having said that, the FTO will be quite a bit better than the Scoob.
"Fiat feels like very unstable when cornering fast. Too much power for the car methinks. " - yeah, its great isn't it . Yes it is a little unruly; not a balanced car. I sort of think of the FIAT as the ultimate hot-hatch!
On reflection I probably would agree the FTO is a better drivers car. The FIAT is a great cruiser (very refined on motorways, while the FTO is quite a bit noisier) and great if you want to be a bit of a hooligan through the twisties.

Hope this helps,

Andy

PS. My friend has been "selling" his car for the last 3 months. In otherwords he's now got a company car and says he's going to sell, yet cannot bare to advertise it in-case someone actually buys it. Knowing him, it'll still be around in a couple of months!
Old 13 July 2000, 01:36 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Mark,

too much power for the chassis, be like your porsche then

robski
Old 13 July 2000, 02:06 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Rob

Hey leave the Porsche out of it. Just because I'm a girl and can't take the huge amount of power it kicks out.

If I don't get an FTO I might say sod reliablity and buy a faster porsche. Saw a nice Carrera GT Turbo for sale Mmmmmmm
Old 13 July 2000, 04:52 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

On the whole, the FTO GPX Mivec is a nice, reasonably swift car. The tiptronic is quite flexible, but I would look for a 5 speed tiptronic in preference to the 4 speed one, if they do a 5 speed, that is. I have heard they do a 6 speed manual gearbox... this would make for a quicker car.

They need an cone filter... that V6 roar is too nice to strangle with the standard system.

The side visibility is absolutely rubbish. Blind spot eliminators would be a big plus... the fancy styling manages to put the rear pillars exactly where you want to be able to see.

Traction control is... well... kind of fun, in a perverse way... If you were to go into a bend at a sensible pace and then floor it and the traction control would limit the power to the most it can actually use... so you would come out of the bend faster than going in... easy-peasy. Hit a double apex or bad surface and things could get ugly.

Moray