Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Personal Accident Injury Claims

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 01:29 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

MY car insurance has increased by 100% over the last year... Okay, i did have an accident
So what are you complaining about?
the other person made a personal inyury claim against me, and........... wait for it......... got £2000 for a........wait for it...........chipped tooth!
You ever had a chipped tooth? Bloody hurts, and can be very expensive to put right (cosmetically as well as medically).

As far as I'm concerned, PI claims are fair game. I'll definitely be putting in a maximum whiplash compensation claim the next time somebody rear-ends me[1], to see if I can get a few grand out of the system.

[1] Oooer, missus.

[Edited by MarkO - 12/6/2002 1:30:19 PM]
Old 12 June 2002, 02:54 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

its abad old world out there - **** happens every day - maybe people should just get in with their lives and stop making these greedy claims just cos they can.

they are either pansies or money grabbing barstewards - often both.

if i had chipped my tooth by falling off the swings, my old man would have walloped me for being so stupid - these days the parents pursue personal injury claims against the council et al -

why?

i will tell you why and it ain't for the kids - its for themselves.

a serious grievence is one thing - money grabbing is another, we will all pay for it in the end.

makes me physically sick
the cu*nts

weava

it will fukc up all our enjoyment as communities - think bonfire night - soon to be a thing of the past...

[Edited by mista weava - 12/6/2002 2:55:09 PM]
Old 06 December 2002, 01:24 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Angry

This business is getting really out of hand. ref: The Money Programme the other night.

For those that missed:

1. Companies who employ blue collars are having insurance increase of abour 40% a year because of PAIC from employees (or even the potential for employees to make a claim). Ergo: can't afford as many staff.

2. MY car insurance has increased by 100% over the last year... Okay, i did have an accident, the other person made a personal inyury claim against me, and........... wait for it......... got £2000 for a........wait for it...........chipped tooth!

3. Some companies are "creating" accidents for clients in order for them to claim.

4. Most companies being claimed against would rather make an out of court settlement then fight it.

5. Last year in the UK 4Billion pounds was payed out in personal accident injury claims.

The list goes on.

I think it stinks, and somthing should be done.

I do think that people with ligitimate claims should receive some form of compensation in the light of other peoples mis-conduct, but there seem to be soooo many loop holes that the system is wide open for abuse.

I now hand over to the scoobynet debating team...
Old 06 December 2002, 01:29 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Completely agree with you on this one, Dan. There's no such thing as a "no fault" accident anymore. If you stub your toe in the office you can make a claim. if you get pissed and fall over you can go back and sue the publican for selling you too much beer. The ethos of *personal responsibility* seems to have completely disappeared. People think that they are being clever by making these claims but we all pay in the long run. Companys prefer to settle because they know they have very little chance of defending claims successfully, and the costs involved in mounting a defence are likely to be much higher than just paying the ****ers to go away.

Charlie.
Old 06 December 2002, 01:29 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

couldn't agree more it is ridiculous.

I saw an advert for one the other day where a bloke gets his van stuck and a farmer helps to tow him out, the idiot got his hand in the way of the towing stuff and had an bit of an accident,not sure what but it didn't look serious, he got 20K compensation. You must have seen this ad aswell if I was the farmer I would have told him to pi55 off as it was his own stupid fault in the first place. It will getto the stage like in the US where nobody helps anybody anymore because of the risk of getting sued.
Old 06 December 2002, 01:46 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

So what are you complaining about?
Err, a chipped tooth does not cost 2 grand to put right. Yes, I have chipped the odd tooth here and there. Yes, it did hurt, but I can think of something that hurts alot more that I would happily accept two grand for the suffering of.

My insurance quote from the previous year still had 0 no claims on it. This was from not being the policy holder on a car whilst I was living over seas. Therefore lost all 5 years no claims I had before. Anyway, my point is, same policy, same circumstances, 100% increase.
Old 06 December 2002, 01:49 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

They should put a ban on whiplash claims as they're a nonsense. Average pay out of £2000 for a sore neck for a few days? For ***** sake

MarkO, if I hear you do make a claim for whiplash you ain't got, I'll use this thread to blackmail you into saying I was in the with you at the time, I could really use £2000

Trending Topics

Old 06 December 2002, 01:52 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Of course now MarkO has evidence of you threatening him to blackmail him!

This country is going down the American route of litigation... only good for the lawyers...
Old 06 December 2002, 01:54 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Anyway, my point is, same policy, same circumstances, 100% increase.
What car do you drive? If it's an STI (or even a UK impreza) then that's hardly surprising. My premium increased by at least 25-40% every year regardless of circumstances staying the same. The PI claims certainly aren't responsible for a 100% increase in the premium. Maybe 5% (probably not even that) but not 100%.

The massive hike in most impreza premiums can be put down to the TWOCers, the Max Power boys getting hold of cars over which they have no control (Saxo boy, anyone? ) and the massive number of thefts as the Scoob becomes the car of choice for armed robberies, etc.

Oh, and NotoriousRev - you're welcome to join in my claim. The more the merrier, IMO. If we can screw 10k out of the PI claims it'd be a triumph.
Old 06 December 2002, 02:00 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

MarkO: Where do you think that all this money for claims is coming from?
Old 06 December 2002, 02:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

I am in the process of claiming at the moment!

I was hit by a driver who's screen misted up and he swerved into me (unable to see where he was going) as he wiped his screen. he too the side off of my car in the process He has damaged my sciatic nerve and i am likely to have problems with it for the rest of my life.

I think my claim is justified ....
Old 06 December 2002, 02:31 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

My own opinion...

Some of the claims are justified. Most RTAs have a good case because it is almost always classed as someone's "fault" by the insurance company and quite rightfully so. If someone is injured and their property damaged because of someone else's carelesness then the victim is due compensation.

What bugs me is the daft claims like the silly b1+ch who fell off her chair at work (the one from that advert thats on every 20 minutes). The leg of the chair broke FFS. How is that the responsibility of her employer..... loose some weight ya fat slapper.
Old 06 December 2002, 02:32 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

But are you going to "milk" this guys insurance company? Or just claim for reasonable costs? I think some people (MarkO) will abuse this system on purpose, adding to the growing problem.

Anyway, the point I raised was not supposed to be directed at car insurance per se, but the people "who have in the last 3 years tripped or fell at work, and were injured as a result." In some cases "stubbed their toe because they weren't looking where they were going and need the extra cash."

I have been involved in accidents where I was injured before, in the last three years. Have I claimed? No, because I thought that the money from a claim would come from the pocket of the driver, who is a friend of mine.

Also, I work (sometimes) for a company where heavy lifting is required, and as a result I have a bad back. A semi-constant dull pain. I was never shown how to lift heavy stuff (in fact I think for stuff over 4.5 Kg there should be 2 of you by law), but claiming for a bad back would be stupid IMHO as I "should" know better than to lift heavy stuff on my own, even when there is no-one around to help and I want to go home ETC.
Old 06 December 2002, 02:39 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

There was an article on watchdog the other week regarding an unamed company that cold called on someone and the salesman said there had been a bus accident round the corner and asked the guy if he would like to say he was their and make a claim. The following week the company was on watchdog again as apparently another accident which occured at night, with no passengers etc involved just the driver the bus company recieved a large number of claims from this company from supposed passengers.

These companies get up my *** they push up premiums. Yes its ok for genuine claims, but they should have better vetting procedures to avoid what is obviously insurance fraud.
Old 06 December 2002, 02:47 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Fraudulant claims.... cheers Manny, the words I've been searching for

This need to be stopped!!!!!!!!!!!! Its bringing the system down.

But when do you have a case, and when do you not?

I remember the title of the money Programme now, it was "Sue you,sir." Some women had a dinner party, and a chair broke when one of the guests was sitting on it. That "guest" put in a claim (which she paid) of £200 quid, for "bruising." when the ***k has anyone been inconvienenced by a bruise? She claimed she needed pay for Physio. bunch of ****.

there was also the example of a company who employs people to grind down machine parts. They have had to make redundancies because their public liability insurnace was NOT renewed. The insurers said it was DUE TO the personal accident injury market. So, people are losing jobs over this! Crazy!
Old 06 December 2002, 02:57 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

There was also the case of a school where parents were claiming personal injuries from their kids that got injured as a result of.........

Playing a football match on Saturday. PAH!
Old 06 December 2002, 03:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The idea of personal responsibility and risk assessment has gone out of the window.

I only hope that something changes before we turn into the quagmire that is known as the USA...

MarkO, if you have an accident this thread could be used as evidence against you that you a) deliberately caused an accident and b) set out to make a false claim.

you really ought to be more careful about what you say on a public BBS.

nick.
Old 06 December 2002, 03:01 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

[Edited by mista weava - 12/6/2002 3:02:34 PM]

[Edited by mista weava - 12/6/2002 3:02:54 PM]
Old 06 December 2002, 03:03 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

you really ought to be more careful about what you say on a public BBS.
This weekend I am going to murder John Ketley.

wonder what'll happen if someone does?

Old 06 December 2002, 03:07 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Didn't u know? David Beckham's legal team checks this BBS regularly. I daresay that John Kettley (who is a weatherman, according to the song) has a legal team that does the same.

Do not underestimate the power of scoobynet.
Old 06 December 2002, 03:12 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Angry

I am effing sick of out right morons claiming for tripping up you can tell as soon as they talk on the phone that they have been put up to it because they are slightly embarrased and incapable of stringing a coherent sentence together and suddenly they come out with the word i now dread "traumatised"

courtesy of collins dictionary
trauma /, / n. (pl. traumas)
emotional shock following a stressful event, sometimes leading to long-term neurosis. b a distressing or emotionally disturbing experience etc.
wish i could treat them to an event causing genuine trauma

we own and run an indoor market and last week an old dear fell and tripped (quite legitimatley) with no serious injury and before she could get off the floor some ****** had shoved a compensation solicitors card into her hand.

some joker has also tried to claim off us recently because he tripped over a "lump" in the grass on a verge within our ownership
he wasnt even on the properly tarmaced and surfaced pavement for f**ks sake.
luckily he wont get a penny but (and here's where the system is truly ****ed) it costs us to get legal representation but it wont cost him a single penny.

oh and as far as Marko goes
As far as I'm concerned, PI claims are fair game. I'll definitely be putting in a maximum whiplash compensation claim the next time somebody rear-ends me[1], to see if I can get a few grand out of the system.
yes i know your a wind up merchant and oh you put a little smiley so thats ok then.
But wait till you hit somone at about 10 miles and they claim for emotional trauma and wiplash somheow suddenly i thnk you'll change your mind.
Old 06 December 2002, 03:18 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

woman clained whiplash from me recently - she was jumping up and down about the car,

bending down to see underneath, did not attend casualty/hospital or see a doctor.

wants two grand - fcking bitch

weava
Old 06 December 2002, 03:21 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

mrs mooseracer was sat at red traffic lights and hit by another car, spent 3days in hospital where she wasnt allowed to move a muscle as they thought she'd broken her neck, 2 months in a huge plastic neck collar, another 3 in a soft one. still having treatment 3 years later, has turned into a gibbering wreck of a passenger, unable to do loads of things she did before, will suffer pain for the rest of her life.

stands to get about 15k, a right result I reckon
Old 06 December 2002, 03:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I suppose there's two sides to every argument. I still wouldn't class it as "right result" tho, as that sorta hints that you value money more than personal health...

My brother in law went into the back of someone at a roundabout the other day. usual story -stationary, then thought the person in front had gone in the gap, so sets off... whump at less than 5mph. No damage to other car, his car needs a new bumper. Police didn't attend, no ambulance called. Exchanged details and drove off.

Letter arrives from insurers claiming there's a compensation claim going against him for whiplash. Includes the fact that the police attended before both parties had left.

I personally think the ****** who is trying this on should be taken to the cleaners for fraud.
Old 06 December 2002, 03:27 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

ageerd chiark - i gather it is you birthday - many happy returns

weava
Old 06 December 2002, 03:31 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I suppose there's two sides to every argument. I still wouldn't class it as "right result" tho, as that sorta hints that you value money more than personal health...
hence the !

I actually think that is a poor figure for the impact it's made on her life.

As for aqll the examples given of people out to make a quick couple of grand, well

Happy burpday
Old 06 December 2002, 03:33 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Cheers, Burp will be appropriate given the curry happening later on, and that we've already started on the beer
Old 06 December 2002, 04:28 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Unhappy

Fraudulant claims should be dealt with severley

I was rearended recently and yes I had a pretty stiff neck

I visited a local Chiropraticor who after 10 visits so far has really helped now.

All I want is recompense for those fees I do not see it as an earner

BUT MANY PEOPLE DO

Phil
Old 06 December 2002, 09:17 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Not all claims are bogus!

I was rear ended on the motorway at 70+ mph and sustained whiplash. After more than 2 yrs of suffering it hadnt cleared up, so £600 spent with a chiropractor sorted it in the end.
Its been over 3 1/2 yrs now and I havent recieved a penny yet! Just had a letter to say I will get 2.5k shortly tho, but I'd sooner have NOT been injured.

Had 6 months free of injuries then BANG !!!!!!
I've been off work for nearly 4 weeks now with a broken sternum (the breast bone) and 3 broken ribs from a recent accident in which I was a passenger... Friends keep saying I'm due a big payout for my injuries, but no amount of money can compensate for the pain I'm still going through

I'd sooner have my health back than a big feckin cheque

Not every PI claim is fraudulant but I need to claim as I'm self employed and losing thousands of pounds in wages alone, never mind the pain and suffering

Bob
Old 09 December 2002, 01:24 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

MarkO, if you have an accident this thread could be used as evidence against you that you a) deliberately caused an accident and b) set out to make a false claim.
How, exactly?

You're making the assumption that

a) Somebody from an underwriter reads this sh*te.

b) Somebody from the underwriter GAS.

c) Somebody from the underwriters could actually prove that MarkO is somebody (me) and not somebody else (me).

None of which are very likely or plausible.

Quick Reply: Personal Accident Injury Claims