Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Beware black cabs in London

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2002, 10:18 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

On Friday night, my girfiend and I hailed a black cab from Covent Garden. We gave our destination to the cab driver (a restaurant) and off we went. I should point out that my gf is Canadian. As the cabbie heard what he thought was an American accent, he proceeded to take us past Buckingham Palace. I have lived in the area for 2 years and my gf 9 years. Buckingham Palace is NOT on the way, so we asked the cabbie why we were going the way we were. He replied "How long have you been living here?". My gf replied "9 years". He replied "I've been a cab driver for 17 years and this is the way we are taught to go on The Knowledge" - in a particularly condescending and unpleasant tone. Having done this journey many many times in a black cab, we know it is quicker - and cheaper - to go another way. My gf was incensed at this drivers attitude and, as we neared the restaurant we were heading for, voiced (in no uncertain terms) that we were only paying £7 (the meter was reading £8.50) which is what the fare should have been. I know this is a small difference, but we are both sick to the back teeth of rip off Britain, in particular black cab drivers. Especially one with a bad attitude.

The cab driver decides we are trying to avoid paying and locks the doors. He then starts driving away from the restaurant. He also calls the Police. We also call the Police as we consider ourseleves being kidnapped (sounds dramatic now, but at the time it didn't). The cabbie eventually stops several hundred yards from the restaurant right on the corner of a busy junction (making him a idiot for this alone). The Police arrive and the cab driver finally releases the locks and we can get out. We explain to the 2 (utterly charming, patient and professional) Police Officers what is going on. The cab driver obviously gives his side of the story. How he is able to get away with locking us in his cab when we are simply disputing the fare (rather than refusing to pay) is beyond me. Eventually, because I am freezing and getting increasingly hungry, I very reluctantly pay the driver £9.50 (the fare when he eventually stopped). The driver even refused me a receipt until the Police intervened! We got all the drivers details (verified by the coppers) and went off to the restaurant.

The more we thought about what had happened, the more annoyed we became. Two women eating at the next table couldn't help overhearing our conversation and asked for the gory details. One of these 2 women lives very close to us and has also experienced exactly the same scenario - a black cab trying to rip her off by going the long route via Buckingham Palace. She became quite animated whilst detailing her distaste for black cab drivers.

Although this all happened on Friday night, I have only just calmed down enough to be able to put a reasoned finger to keyboard detailing what happened.

As my gf mentioned to the Police, Ken Livingston is making Central London less navigable by the day. That black cabs are also trying to rip off locals makes my blood boil. They also refuse to travel south of the Thames. We're not talking Johannesburg here, more like Blackheath - hardly a hotbed of crime.

In future I will stick to the illegal mini-cabs. I'd rather pay one of these guys an agreed amount than pay a black cab another penny. A dispute over a couple of quid will have cost black cabs in general several hundreds pounds a year. I imagine these guys pay no tax either - another benefit.

A couple of pieces of advice for people still prepared to use black cabs:

1. If you are disputing the fare, wait until the guy is stationary and you are outside the cab.

2. Even better, buy an A-Z and/or tourist map and walk. Central London is an amazing place with many interesting things to see on just about any journey by foot. By the time you have waited for an elusive black cab, you could have walked most of the way and seen lots of interesting things on the journey.

I should say as a final point, the majority of black cabbies are decent people. Trouble is, I have met one too many bad ones and will not be using one again.
Old 20 October 2002, 10:22 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

All that typing!

I always use the illegal boys when I want a quick lift home.

Half the price.

Black cabs are a fooking con.
Old 20 October 2002, 10:30 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Imagine how much I would have typed if I'd posted on Friday night...
Old 20 October 2002, 10:34 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Cheers im coming for New years eve to London, Wont be using them

Si
Old 20 October 2002, 10:39 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you refuse to pay you are committing a criminal offence.
If however you offer to pay part of the fare you are committing a civil offence.
This is outside of the jurisdiction of the Police and as such they are powerless to intervene.
I know this to be the case and have had reason to test this in a restaurant in central London.
The service and food was very poor and as a result we offered to pay a portion of the bill.
The manager got very angry threatened to call the police.
A friend who was with us tried to explain the finer points of the law to the irate manager but to no avail, he called the police.
When they arrived they went into a huddle by the door with the manager and then they all made their way over to our table to try to persuade us to pay.
My friend apologised profusely for their time being wasted, explained that there was no criminal case and therefore no reason for the police to be there.
They agreed and said they would have to leave.
The manager nearly exploded he was so angry.
Justice was done!
And we laughed all the way home.
r
Old 20 October 2002, 10:45 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

That's spooky Ragacy!

I did the exact same thing in a thai place on Wardour Street!

One of the Waitors dropped hot saki on my brother and then blamed him for it, and tried to charge us for it!

Luckily, my soaked and burnt brother is a solicitor and we left full of nice food but only £1 worse off each.
Old 20 October 2002, 11:07 PM
Luke
BANNED

The only cheap cabs out of the west end you find..Will be driven by drugged up ilegal,non insured,1/2 english speaking nutters.

You would be mad.
Old 20 October 2002, 11:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Wrong.

Some speak good English and are always sober and with it!
Old 20 October 2002, 11:21 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I have used the illegal boys when black cabs are difficult to find (like every weekend normally). You can usually ascertain their lack of inebriation and prowess with English before getting in the cab. If they turn out to be a nutter of a driver, simply ask them to pull over. Works for me.
Old 20 October 2002, 11:30 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I like the way they give in to your price - which is always about 1/2 - 2/3 of the robbing cab boys.

Market forces.
Old 20 October 2002, 11:31 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

A bit of "knowledge"

By law the cabbie has to take the shortest possible route. They are taught "runs" which are the "best way" to get between two points but they are not something that is written in stone, more as a guide to get a level testing field for passing out and to provide a basis for potentially the best way to complete a journey.

They also cannot refuse any journey that goes within the 6 miles of charing cross.

If you think he's taking the P, then tell him, get him to stop & pay for what you've used.

Best thing is to take his number & report him to the Public Carriage Office as they take a dim view of cabbies taking the p1$$. Recite your route to them & they will know if its OK or out of order. If its not OK then cabbie runs a risk of losing his badge & hence his livelihood.

DO NOT TAKE UNLICENSED MINI-CABS

Take licensed mini-cabs or private-hire vehicles. Regs coming in ensure that the public are not put at risk by cowboys & illegals. Again regulated by the PCO, each operator must have a licence, each driver must and each vehicle must be OK too. ATM, its only the operators but drivers soon. Operators have a duty by law to ensure that their drivers are insured etc etc. These guys will probably have fixed rates between points, which they can tell you in advance.

NEVER EVER TAKE A TOUT [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Either of the two above, but you don't know who is driving one of them, whether they are insured or are not some sex offender etc

Private Hire places in case of no Black Cab

Addison Lee
Anderson Young
W1 Cars
GLH

These are probably the best of the bunch & will turn up with polite, knowledgeable drivers in cars which are properly maintained and late model. More accountable too.

If you've got his number, you can still report him...
Old 20 October 2002, 11:39 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Make no mistake, I have this guys number and will be reporting him as soon as the Public Carriages Office opens on Monday. I have since poured over the A-Z and he cannot justify the route he took.

I do agree with the fact that you shouldn't use unlicensed cabs, but I am prepared to take the risk. I can look after myself, but would strongly advise lone girls, or those that are very drunk, ONLY use black cabs or licensed mini-cabs.
Old 20 October 2002, 11:47 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Puff: when you're p!ssed, it's raining and you can't flag a cab down, a rusty Bluebird with a 'tashed bloke who can't speeky the English for a tenner is a godsend!
Old 20 October 2002, 11:52 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Question

So why take an illegal over a licensed mini-cab?

Its a no-brainer 'cos if he has an accident & you're seriously injured, you face one **** of an uphill struggle sorting out compensation. You may be able to look after yourself, but just don't put yourself at risk in the first place.
Old 20 October 2002, 11:55 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Availability.
Old 21 October 2002, 12:20 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Not going to preach to the unconvertable...
Old 21 October 2002, 12:22 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I'm a risk taker!

Plus I'm handy!

I totally agree with you, though. But London's such a cash sponge that a bargain (as a Yorkshireman) always appeals!
Old 21 October 2002, 08:09 AM
Luke
BANNED

Go to soho and check out the state of most of the illegal cabs....
Should shoot the lot and get some proper Mini cab companies in.
Old 21 October 2002, 08:44 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Unhappy

Well I just hope that the guy that next picks you up hasn't had a spliff/ is on heroin, is not disqualified and can remember which side of the road he actually has to drive on

G'luck m8

Old 21 October 2002, 11:43 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Red face

I appreciate its a matter of principal, but was it really worth all that grief for a couple of quid

FFS, voice your concern, pay the bill, get a receipt and enjoy your night out safe in the knowledge (no pun intended) that you can report him the next day

Some people are just sooooo uptight

D

Old 21 October 2002, 12:43 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

i'm a great believer of arranging a price (london -essex is about £40-£50)taking a dodgy minicab, giving him half up front, getting him to stop near my house at a cashpoint (its a one-way street) and then legging it!!!

hahahahah its well funny!!!! you get a right buzz out of it.
most of them dont know how to speak english, let alone chase someone through some back alleys, across a park and then a maze like housing estate.....

They dont pay tax, insuarance or anything, so its justice!!!

ps. the half fare should more than cover the costs incurred anyway!!!

BB
Old 21 October 2002, 01:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Runners? Don't get me started on runners.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
I did actually catch one, one night. He turned on me, but unfortunately for him, I was carrying a cloth bag with the night's takings in it, mostly in coin.:
I did have to waste a lot of time explaining his injuries to the police though.
On the subject of journey routes, we have the same rule here, you must take the shortest route, UNLESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED BY THE FARE. I had a dispute with a guy one night, over the route I took for a journey he knew well. I agreed that he pay his normal price, whatever was on the meter. His face was a picture as he handed over £3.70 while the meter was showing £3.50.
You also get the real gits who try to put you down as you're ONLY a thicko cab driver,(LOL, I have 2 degrees!), and abuse you.
I had one of these one night. When he got out, I found the keys to his house, car, pub (he was landlord), etc on his seat. Normally I would return them. They went in the Trent!!!LOL
Alcazar
Old 21 October 2002, 03:17 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Question

Diablo,

You could argue the same for the cab driver. Was it worth calling the police and a long delay for a couple of quid? He was also at serious personal risk from 2 very very irate passengers...

I took great pleasure in telling the guy he could have earnt 10 times the disputed amount if he'd just dropped us off for the fare we wanted to pay him.