Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

buying a house

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 10:42 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im thinking of buying a house the one ive got an eye on is offers over £63000.how much would you be prepared to part with to secure a deal? my max is £70,000 . is this too much? someone says its silly to pay this if the surveyor says it ONLY VALUED AT SAY £64000
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?
Old 10 July 2002, 11:09 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

depends where, current market in the area etc. Most lenders will only lend a mortgage against the valaution not the sale price so you'll need sufficient deposit to cover the difference and still have sufficient loan to value ratio to fuful the requirements of any mortgage deal.
Old 10 July 2002, 11:28 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

They've given away what they want for it. Well IMO anyway.

Most surveys say whether the price is fair or not, not an exact value so it may not help.

Ask why the property doesn't have a 'normal' asking price i.e. 65k. Most people stick there house up for xxxx and people make an offer on the asking price. It's not the norm to say give me at least xxxx.

Just my opinion (bought a flat 6 months ago) and this is what I found.
Old 10 July 2002, 11:33 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Yeah £64k max

Make sure you dont get messed around - I made an offer for a house a few months back - as they still have not sorted out their side they are likely to pull their house off the market and resell at a much higher price - ohhhh to live in Scotland...
Old 11 July 2002, 12:08 AM
cletterridge
Scooby Regular

You in Edinburgh? If so, I'd be worried. I asked the same question about 1 bedroom flats in Dalry. Flats for offers over £44k are being valued at £55k and selling for *£70k* !! Nuts!
Old 11 July 2002, 12:20 AM
GM
Scooby Regular

What part of Scotland are you in?

Normally in Edinburgh you'd expect to have to offer 10 - 15% over the upset price. At the moment, there's a huge demand for property so you'd expect 20 - 30% over upset price. Ultimately the only thing that determines the value of a property is the market - if someone is prepared to pay £100K for a property then that's what its worth, no matter what a surveyor may say.
Old 11 July 2002, 12:53 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

If its Edinburgh, 30% over the asking price is the par.
So 64k = 84k + a bit more to make sure you get it.
If its really nice then could be 50% - but it costs you **** all to bid so have a go.
I got lucky today and got my new place for 5k over the valuation.
That was after missing a place that went for 110k over valuation, and it needed easy 30k of work doing to it
Old 11 July 2002, 08:33 AM
apn70
Scooby Newbie

Try for 60K!! Avoid the stamp duty. The asking price was the same when I bought my house, I offered 60K and said I wouldn't go any higher because of the SD and the seller accepted.
Old 11 July 2002, 09:37 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

To all those comments from those in England & Wales - please note that the system is different up here in Scotland.

It is generally the case that the asking price is WAY below what the buyer is expecting in Scotland - mainly because we have a blind bid system.

I know in England, the asking price is generally the top price and buyers negotiate DOWN from there.....

In Scotland, it is the other way around.

ie, I bought my house earlier this year, and the price I paid was 64% over the asking price (!!), yet only 6% over the valuation.
Seems crzay, but that's how it is up here in Scotland (Edinburgh especially).

Old 11 July 2002, 09:42 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Subevo - to give you a few ideas of recent sales in Edinburgh by my colleagues :

Flat in Abbeyhill - 1 bedroom - o/o 59k, valued at 70k, sold for 84k.

Flat in Roseburn - 1 bedroom - o/o 75k, valued at 90k, sold for 105k.

Flat in Leith/Granton - 3 bedroom - o/o 89k, valued at 110k, sold for 125k.

House in Craiglockhart - 4 bedroom - o/o 195k, valued at 240k, sold for 310k.
(near my new one which I paid 1/4 mill for - gulp!)

First 3 were tradiational victorian tenement flats - ie, demand is high for these, and all were in average condition. Nothing special about any of them.

Figures above should give you an idea, but your solicitor should be able to help out a bit in terms of looking up historical data from the ESPC etc to find out previous selling prices for flats in the same street/area you are looking at.

It's not easy, and sadly, 1st time buyers in Edinburgh are sh*gged unless they have a large deposit, as you can't get a mortgage for more than valuation......

Good luck!

Old 11 July 2002, 02:00 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

ops...

ignore my bit then!!
Old 11 July 2002, 02:21 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Hey Imlach - I've just bought a house in Craiglockhart - you know where that shocking pink TVR Tuscan lives opposite the petrol station? Well its there.
Old 11 July 2002, 02:27 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Father jack - is it one of the victorian mid-terraced ones opposite the petrol station?

I've seen the tuscan driving down there, but not seen it parked....
(our head honcho just picked up his brand new ferrari red 360 Spider today, so feeling a bit jealous!)

I'm further up the hill in a 1930's 4 bedroom detached house. Was a wreck, so spent the last 6 weeks ripping it to bits and putting new bits in.....rewire, plumbing, the works......

Old 11 July 2002, 02:29 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Father jack - do you mean the Tuscan is yours?????

If so, my girlfriend wants a passenger ride!!!! She's well into Tuscans and has only sat in one at the showroom.....when I thought about buying one....that dream has died now I spent all my pennies on a house.

If you ever get a spare minute...... :-))))

Old 11 July 2002, 03:36 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Father jack - I'm in craiglockhart gardens - look on multimap.co.uk, and you'll see how near we are!!! (in fact, we are equidistant from the Centre Court pub!).

I don't currently own an Impreza, but used to.......will do again soon sometime....

Driving a Merc 230E right now (can't afford a decent car what with all the house stuff I had to do...!)

Old 11 July 2002, 03:39 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
god dont pay 70k, go and find a bigger house if you want to pay 70k!

hmm 2% tops ish
Old 11 July 2002, 03:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

father jack - just seen your house on the ESPC website.
Looks nice. Know the one you mean (I know the area well).

That's the look we're going for - just had the floors in ALL my rooms stripped, sanded, sealed & varnished.

Old 11 July 2002, 03:57 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

It's actually the other one. Both halves are up for sale.
We went for the one without the garage and 2 car driveway but it's south facing and off the main road. You can add a garage but can't change the ways of the sun. Or so I've been told
You should go for a nosey in the other one on Sunday - it's really well done.
See you in the centre court some time then when we're neebors!

Old 11 July 2002, 03:59 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Father Jack

So was your one cheaper? :-) (I'm being nosey so feel free not to answer!).

Did someone do both up at the same time and sell them off?
It'll be nicer to be on the side away from the main road....

Yep - see you in the pub!! Or the chinky!!! Or the Offy!!!
Or Western Mercedes!! Or the tennis courts!!!!!

Old 11 July 2002, 05:27 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Wink

Houses on a corner are nice.
Old 11 July 2002, 05:28 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Not at all - this is Scotland so I can't be gazumped
It got split in the 60's and it's just co-incidence that both are up for sale. Survey is ok, so they're not both falling down!
Fat chance of seeing me in the tennis court or the Merc garage - are there any decent mercs these days?
Got it for 295, it valued at 290 and it was offers over 248 - so only 5k over valuation is feckin unreal for south side Edinburgh especially as the last one we went for did 110k over valuation and 175k over asking price It was a bit less than we wanted to spend, but it's a gorgeous house so it had to be done. Plus I'm sick of the whole house buying thing and actually want to live somewhere nice rather than talking about it for another 6 months. Might keep one of our flats or buy a newer one to rent, or buy a pink trevor!

Cheers

FJ
Old 11 July 2002, 05:32 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

LOL at muppet
Old 11 July 2002, 06:51 PM
cletterridge
Scooby Regular

Imlach, those prices are scaring the sh*t out of me! Even Abbeyhill?? Noooo....

You must be in the know, so can you tell me how much flats needing a lot of work are going for in Dalry / Abbeyhill? Was considering taking on a one bedroom place needing some work, offers over £45k, say.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Clett
Old 11 July 2002, 07:04 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

cletteridge - 84k in Abbeyhill was for Waverley Park - nice views of the park, and was top floor flat - 1 bedroom, 1 lounge, 1 kitchenette, 1 bathroom. Not exactly tip-top - ie, needs new bathroom suite, needs new kitchen, pretty shabby...there were 6 offers for it - 2 were around 80k, winner was 84k.

father jack : just spent the last 5 minutes getting my new ADSL connection going as Craiglockhart does not have cable from Telewest (pain, as I had nice 1Mb/s broadband in my old place with them and it rocked!).

Anyway, ADSL was enabled today, and I am just 10 minutes in from work, and I took the adsl router out of the box, plugged it in, and am now back online within 10 mins of getting home!!! Only 512kb/s, but at least it's something.....you should be ok for it too...
Old 11 July 2002, 07:07 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

cletteridge - email me if you want more info......
Old 12 July 2002, 10:57 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Cletters - flats in a mess seem to go for more than ones that are ok relatively speaking. People think they can pay less for the flat and chip away at the DIY. But everyone is looking for an angle so it goes for more and you don't save anything in the longrun.

Imlach- Yeah, noticed I would lose my blueyonder when moving. Wasn't on the 1mb before, so will be about the same.
Noticed the Centre Court has been totally gutted, someone was welding it together when I went past. Hopefully one more decent pub in the area soon. Hurrah!
Old 12 July 2002, 11:22 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

father jack - just noticed that this morning too that the Centre Court had no frontage!!!
Shame, as I was going to pop in for a pint or two to try it out this weekend.....

There's always the Alehouse thing further down opposite the rowing sheds....

As regards dumps, the house I bought was a dump, and I paid more than I probably should have for it! There were 25 notes of interest, and 16 offers, and it went for £90k over asking (but only £15k over valuation - and valuation was based on wrecked state). Of all the houses we went for (searched for a year & a half), a lot were dumps, and ALL of the dumps were going for WAY MORE than you would have thought - Father Jack is correct - people think they can chip away at the DIY for years - I spent lots of pennies and used tradesmen to get all the basics done in the first month, but has worked out quite well and didn't cost as much as the surveyor said it would.......

Old 12 July 2002, 11:39 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

father jack - we kept one of our flats too to rent out...makes sense in this market....

Where are you living just now?

I do like your new pad. Lots & lots of style - I like that.

My ideal house would have been a victorian semi/terraced/detached, but just couldn't afford it in the end....so we ended up with something with less style (perhaps none!) but 4 bedrooms, a garage, and a garden, which were all the things we wanted. Had to compromise in the end, as like you, just wanted to end the whole house buying thing......will maybe try for our ideal pad in a few years again.....

Still, nice area, and not too far out of the centre.
Old 12 July 2002, 12:14 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

I'm on Balcarres Street - Mrs.Jack's is on the Meadows, just got the solicitor round now measuring up taking photies etc. - also just spotted a E55 AMG Merc in autotrader for 22k - ooh I'm tempted
Old 14 July 2002, 11:15 AM
subevo
Scooby Regular

cheers boys .i live in hamilton so things are nowhere near as bad as the east coast.im semi-detached and my good neighbours are moving.my young brother is interested in buying but they are wanting the highest possible offer and are just waiting.they did say if we matched the highest offer then they would let us have it.but how much is too much?were scared of bad neighbours moving in and making life a misery.i should have bought a detatched when i had the chance.

Quick Reply: buying a house