Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Connecting TV sound through Sony DAV system

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2002, 01:36 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to get sound from my TV to play through the entertainment system, and can't get it to work.(from normal TV channels/cable)

Sound from DVD/cd/Tuner OK, but not from TV.

Sony 32FQ75 TV, and Sony DAVS500 entertainment system.

I'm sure I've tried all combinations of connections, but there must be something I'm missing.
Any ideas?

thanks
Steve
Old 06 July 2002, 02:02 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure you can, not in any meaningful way anyway. There isn't an audio out from the tv, the only option is to take the headphones signal and use that. It won't carry any decoding though, so the HC set up will only produce stereo not pro logic or 5.1/6.1

I have mine linked to the Sky box and only watch terrestrial channles through Sky now. Audio is good but the main reason is the picture quality is in a different class. I've got a Sony 36 and the picture is not brilliant if you use the aerial and tv tuner. DVD or Sky digital signal is razor sharp though

If you got a decent set up (and your Sony 32 is certainly a decent tv), its worth getting Sky or cable for this reason alone.

Sky are also broadcasting in 5.1 but its a bit expensive at the moment and you will have probably seen all the films on DVD anyway.
Old 06 July 2002, 02:34 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As I've got NTL Digital then ,should I be able to connect from the set top box, to my DAV system directly?

In fact, the TV has got 2 phono connections on the back.It doesn't say whether they are Line in /out.
What could these be for?

There are also no less than 3 scart connections on the TV??

Steve
Old 06 July 2002, 04:59 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve,

The phonos on the back of the TV are almost certainly audio out.

Do you have spare "phono in" connections to the back of the Sony DAV unit ?

Thanks

Gavin
Old 07 July 2002, 12:23 AM
jimbrit
Scooby Regular

Right then.

Connections.

Scart 1 from NTL box into scart/av1 on the FQ
and set the NTL box output to rgb.

Scart 2 from vcr (if u have one) to av2 on FQ

Scart 3 use the video signal (yellow cable) from the Davs into AV3 on the FQ using the scart adapter supplied.

To get the sound of the TV/Digibox from the Davs use an ordinary pair of audio leads from the red/white sockets on the back of the FQ into audio1 or audio 2 input on the back of the DAVS. You won't (as Pete says) get Dolby Digital but u will get pro-logic.

If the sound from the TV via the DAVS is quiet turn the headphone volume up on the TV via the sound menu on the TV!!

HTH

Jim
Old 07 July 2002, 08:40 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steve

As Jim says, it should be possible. I have a near identical setup to you - same TV (very nice ), NTL digital box and the Sony DAV S800 DVD / amp / tuner. I've had no problems using the DAV S800 for all sounds - terrestial or digital. If you are still having problems, let me know and I'll have a dig around the back of the TV and check my connections.

Cheers
Chris
Old 07 July 2002, 03:21 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You can set it up so that TV sound can be heard through your DAV system. Just use phono - phono from the sound outputs on the rear of the TV (Red and White sockets)and connect them to either VIDEO 1 or 2 on the back of the DAV system. Them turn on TV ( don't forget to turn down the TV volume) select the VIDEO input on the DAV you have used and there you are. If you stil hear no sound make sure on the TV set-up menu you have the aux outputs turn on.

Enjoy

Tim
Old 09 July 2002, 08:39 AM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Thank for the help, guys,

OK, I'm nearly there, but not quite.I can get TV sound if I connect through my NTL box (NTL audio out, to DAV audio in).What I can't get, is TV sound by connecting the TV rear phonos to the DAV.I've tried the set up menu, but can't find any reference to setting the aux out sockets.Would it be listed under something less obvious?

Connecting throught the NTL box would suffice, but it means having to connect seperately for sound from the VCR.I want to ideally use the TV connectors, thus leaving the other DAV inputs free for a seperate piece of hifi eqipment.

Any further help much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09 July 2002, 12:36 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

FQ model you have there. Does your set not suffer from the scrolling bar problem?

See www.avforums.com and look at the television and plasma section.

Sony are offering compensation of £200 worth of Sony products if your set suffers from this problem which it will do to some extent.

I have a letter from Sony which states that the FQ/FS models with DRC technology suffer from an inherent fault which cannot be fixed.

Take a read on the above site, it is very interesting. (You cannot miss the thread, it is the most viewed one!!)

I would take a look....
Old 09 July 2002, 01:30 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

FBS,

Interesting reply, and very interesting forum!

I can't say I have noticed this problem at all.As far as I can tell, the picture is as clear as I would expect from a SONY TV.I'll certainly take a closer look, though.

Perhaps I've spent so much time and concentration trying to get the sound sorted out!

One thing which I have noticed on occasion is that it seems to revert from Wide to 4;3 mode with no instruction to do so.Do you know if there could be any reason for this??

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 09 July 2002, 05:43 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Check the auto format option, there is an option for off, normal and full. Also a correction option which can be on or off.

With autoformat set to full, a 16:9 broadcast should be extended to the full screen, ie, no borders on the top and bottom.

Correction option set to on will display 4:3 transmitted broadcasts to a full screen.

Hope this helps.

The scrolling bars will be evident on dark backgrounds, usually blue and more so in the evening when there is not much light being reflected onto the screen. They can appear on most sources, RF input, AV1, AV2 AV3 etc and most FQ/FS models display them on one or more inputs. Their is a supposed fix from Sony but this will only try and reduce the effect not totally eliminate the problem. If you do spot them and you probably will, unless you are very very lucky, then get onto Sony, arrange an engineer to come out and if the scrolling bars don't go away, you can have yourself a £200 Sony product!!

Old 09 July 2002, 06:49 PM
jimbrit
Scooby Regular

As I said sound from the FQ is via the Red/White audio outs.

The default level is very low. Try turning the headphone volume up on the set , usually does the trick

Any probs I'll check the sets out at work. Mail me if u like
jimbrit@blueyonder.co.uk

As for the scrolling bars, yeah the problem does exist but in all honesty I've not had one complaint in all the ones I have sold!!
Either been v.lucky or the problem isn't that widespread although Sony do admit there is a problem

Jim