Need a double hip replacement

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2020, 10:35 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy Need a double hip replacement

Yes I need both hips replaced !
I have researched whether I can get both done at the same time , but concerned about difficulty during recovery.
Also I think I may benefit from robotic assistance MAKO during the procedure.
Anybody had this done and can give me any advice.
Cheers
Old 23 December 2020, 12:01 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

I've never seen the robot used for hip replacements so can't comment on that. I have seen robots used for vascular surgery with great success though, they offer smoother and more precise motions than one can achieve by hand.
I would suggest researching your local surgeons before committing to one, most consultants will have some online reviews from real people. You can also get a good idea of how often they actually operate (not just oversee). Orthopedic surgery is as much an art as a science.
Regarding having both done at once, this will depend a lot on you age, physical health and your surgeon. If you are fit and active then you may find having both done at the same time is very manageable, but it you are overweight or struggling with other comorbidities then it may be best to do one at a time. It's definitely something you will need to discuss with your surgeon though as they may have a preference specifically for you.

Good luck with the surgery! I hope all goes well and you recover quickly.
Old 23 December 2020, 12:04 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

My cycling club mate has had both done, but over a couple of years. I would have thought recovery/rehab period would dictate whether single or pair doable. These days they want you up and about very quickly. Speak to the consultant about options/recovery/rehab/complications
Old 23 December 2020, 12:11 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Good luck rob 👍
Old 23 December 2020, 06:43 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

My mum has had a couple of knees and a hip done over the years (never at the same time). In each case the recovery was pretty quick, back home and starting to put weight on it after a couple of days and fully mobile ater 3 or 4 months.

The recovery time will depend somewhat on your age and fitness. Recovery from one replacement is pretty easy really, but that is based on the other joint being in good condition and able to take the extra load during recovery. A double replacement will make the recovery more difficult, but in your case may be the better option. You should follow the advice of your consultant regarding the best choice for your situation. Don't worry too much about the recovery, it will always be better than living with the pain of a duff hip!
Old 23 December 2020, 11:26 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Good luck. An ex navy mate of mine, very fit, has just had one done, with no problems other than nearly a years extra wait on the NHS, mainly due to the pandemic. Seems to be recovering very quickly.
Old 23 December 2020, 11:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

My mum had hers done 20 years ago, they did one, then 12 months later the other. If you can go via private health care like bupa then do it. far faster and better service, plus guy who did the operations on my mum was the same consulant who would have doen it via the NHS.
The following users liked this post: