Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Extinction Rebellion

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2019, 12:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Extinction Rebellion

Is there any kind of happening in Beijing...?

I can't see anything
Old 20 September 2019, 12:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

eh?
Old 20 September 2019, 07:31 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Unless we all buy electric cars, we are doomed!
Old 20 September 2019, 07:40 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
Unless we all buy electric cars, we are doomed!
fpmsl, what total stupidity
Old 20 September 2019, 10:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

On yer Bike !
Old 21 September 2019, 03:51 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by Tidgy
fpmsl, what total stupidity
Ironical
Old 10 October 2019, 02:13 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

This sort of died the death, have none of you petrol heads and veterans got any comments on the actions of these morons?

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2019, 02:28 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wurzel
This sort of died the death, have none of you petrol heads and veterans got any comments on the actions of these morons?
Morons is very polite.

Complete arseholes.
And now we have an Olympian climbing on top of a plane - how TF was that allowed happen?

Do these ********* really think they're making a difference by making a nuisance of themselves?
Old 10 October 2019, 02:57 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Good dancers
Old 10 October 2019, 02:59 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I thought "crusties" was the description for them

I see Boris' dad has now joined them
Old 10 October 2019, 04:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Bit too late for a Boris extinction sadly

Did the pparalypian buy a ticket .??!
Old 10 October 2019, 07:11 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rope-emissions

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...climate-action

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...onomic-affairs

Told you we all should buy electric cars
Old 10 October 2019, 10:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Waste of bandwidth to give these attention ****** any millisecond of my time or thoughts.

I wasted too much on them just by posting this.
Old 12 October 2019, 08:07 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Absolute nut jobs the lot of them.
Old 12 October 2019, 09:29 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

All those banners and tents being ripped down, all the artificial fiber clothing they're wearing.....biodegradable? hand made? All part of the human plague that is the root of this.

Last edited by hedgecutter; 12 October 2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 13 October 2019, 09:33 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radiohead gave them nutters loads of funding so did some **** Sir Christopher Hohn.
Old 14 October 2019, 10:05 AM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Well I‘m gonna have to go against the consensus here, I think when change has to happen and the leadership and wider society doesn‘t act, drawing attention to the issue by protest is totally legit and should be supported. The science is clear and ignoring the problem won‘t make it go away. I think a big problem is that it‘s very difficult and uncomfortable for people to accept.
Old 15 October 2019, 10:26 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobaholic
Well I‘m gonna have to go against the consensus here, I think when change has to happen and the leadership and wider society doesn‘t act, drawing attention to the issue by protest is totally legit and should be supported. The science is clear and ignoring the problem won‘t make it go away. I think a big problem is that it‘s very difficult and uncomfortable for people to accept.
You are not alone in thinking this

I find it funny that so much ire is spewed towards Greta Thunberg, for example. She is saying some very valid things - it's just that people are too selfish (myself included) to give up holiday flights, for example. That doesn't make her/the XR points invalid.

One thing that's been bothering me for a while is the _massive_ decrease in insects buzzing around. When I was a kid, walking around in fields/forests around where I grew up, there'd be this constant humm of insect noises (and birds etc). Now it is quiet.

Another sign: When I first started driving, after driving any length of distance in Sweden / Finland outside of towns, the front of the car would be absolutely covered in dead mosquitos / bees / wasps etc. Nowadays when I go back, I don't even have to clear the wind-screen when stopping to fill up with petrol.

Something is a-foot.
Old 15 October 2019, 10:32 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Pesticides no doubt

and more humans /
Old 15 October 2019, 10:48 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I wonder how many people complaining about these protests would also say the same about the poll tax protests (dubbed riots by the then government!)?

Unfortunately in this world, you need to do something drastic to grab the headlines and spread your message. Kids striking from school and extinction rebellion are doing just that, they are getting their message out there. If it causes enough people to make enough changes to their lifestyle, then they have succeeded. The interesting thing with XR, is its no longer the crusties and hippies, but rather more ordinary people taking part, like Boris' dad - that will get more people listening and taking them seriously and may finally be the impetus to stop the pathetic government solution to climate change such selling more EVs and start a serious drive for real change that will make a difference.
Old 15 October 2019, 11:15 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

They dont seem to be doing away with coal in Germany ?!
Old 15 October 2019, 11:47 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

rather more ordinary people taking part, like Boris' dad
I think I’ve just woke up on the wrong planet if that is a definition of a normal person
Old 15 October 2019, 12:18 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
They dont seem to be doing away with coal in Germany ?!
They are trying to do away with the horrible brown coal, but sadly coal is still a big factor in the German energy plans.
Another misguided referendum - should we get rid of Nuclear power? YES! OK we'll replace it with more coal power! Wait, no, we'd wanted more green energy not coal! That's not what we asked, now its too late, democracy has spoken!
Old 15 October 2019, 04:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
You are not alone in thinking this

I find it funny that so much ire is spewed towards Greta Thunberg, for example. She is saying some very valid things - it's just that people are too selfish (myself included) to give up holiday flights, for example. That doesn't make her/the XR points invalid.

One thing that's been bothering me for a while is the _massive_ decrease in insects buzzing around. When I was a kid, walking around in fields/forests around where I grew up, there'd be this constant humm of insect noises (and birds etc). Now it is quiet.

Another sign: When I first started driving, after driving any length of distance in Sweden / Finland outside of towns, the front of the car would be absolutely covered in dead mosquitos / bees / wasps etc. Nowadays when I go back, I don't even have to clear the wind-screen when stopping to fill up with petrol.

Something is a-foot.
Air pollution and use of pesticides is destroying the ecosystem of virtually all insects.

We planted many bee and butterfly attracting flowers/shrubs over the last few years. Its so nice to see dozens of different insects using the nectar.

It is a real concern to see such a huge drop in insect population. Without the humble bee pollinating plants then all others species suffer/die.
Old 15 October 2019, 04:38 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy97
Air pollution and use of pesticides is destroying the ecosystem of virtually all insects.

We planted many bee and butterfly attracting flowers/shrubs over the last few years. Its so nice to see dozens of different insects using the nectar.

It is a real concern to see such a huge drop in insect population. Without the humble bee pollinating plants then all others species suffer/die.
I saw an interesting report on Countryfile about this subject. There was a farmer who was saying through the 80's and 90's, when he was a child, the farm was pushed by the pesticide peddlers to remove the hedgerows between the fields to increase land use and therefore yield and back then it worked! He had noticed the fall in the number of birds since he was a kid, and now running his dads farm, decided to try an experiment to re-plant the hedgerows. After only a few years, he found the number of bees, wasps and other insects increased and the birds returned. The birds and wasps were controlling the number of insects and the bees were improving pollination rates and the yield, so he was able reduce insecticide use which saved him a fortune and despite the loss of farmed land, his yield was improved over the intensive farming methods, his costs were lower and his profits were up.
Old 16 October 2019, 07:29 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

How many people will give up buying containerised goods from the growing industrial nations like China and India? Mobile phone/clothing anybody? They won't risk their economies to control their own pollution and stop shipping. What average person is prepared to have food prices triple to only eat organic? Will they agree to have only one child, to stop the world's population doubling every 80 years? Swap PIR insulation in energy efficient homes for wool? Environmentally friendly batteries? Who can pay for these increases in costs?
Emissions are being cut here , and coming from an agricultural background I can tell you that although pesticide use has been cut massively since the 60's, you won't afford to eat without them. It's all very well raising awareness, but until we decide to give up all the trappings of modern life, it ain't gonna happen. And I bet half the people protesting have taken a flight somewhere in the last couple of years; the only 2 that I know have both been to Australia and back this year. Too much thoughtless hypocrisy in the world.
Old 16 October 2019, 08:02 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Emma Thompson jetting in from Hollywood , for a couple days , to show willing hahaha

Bet your life Brexit isn't going to help the situation either, no we'll be exploiting our far flung empire's inhabitants

Last edited by dpb; 16 October 2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 17 October 2019, 07:57 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

The tree huggers that were on top of a tube this morning got a kicking by furious commuters.
https://news.sky.com/story/furious-c...-tube-11837385
The following users liked this post:
Old 17 October 2019, 09:29 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by urban
The tree huggers that were on top of a tube this morning got a kicking by furious commuters.
https://news.sky.com/story/furious-c...-tube-11837385
Kind of stupid to block a train seeing as that is the most efficient form of transport! Maybe they would prefer all those commuters to travel by car instead!
Old 17 October 2019, 09:32 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Kind of stupid to block a train seeing as that is the most efficient form of transport! Maybe they would prefer all those commuters to travel by car instead!
Very true, I suspect they don't have much logic behind their decision making though

Quick Reply: Extinction Rebellion