Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

decking-anti slip or not

Old 03 June 2018, 07:03 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default decking-anti slip or not

so as part of my rear garden makeover i will be having a large decked area in front of the french doors leading out to the hot tub.

now i know all about how slippy decking gets but is it a case of poor maintained decking goes slippery or is it just something i will have to deal with?

i know there is anti slip decking but to be honest i dont really like the look of it.

i dont mind putting in the time to treat/clean it properly if thats what it needs.

area will be around 10 mtr x 4.8 mtr with rope ballustrade, there will be an opening on the left near the french doors leading down to the patio and an opening at the far end leading to the hot tub.
Old 03 June 2018, 07:31 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about scaffold boards? Once there sanded down properly they look awesome, plus will last a lot longer than the cheap rubbish wood that's sold as decking in garden centres. Also less slip when wet.
Old 03 June 2018, 09:17 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

How about some anti-slip shoes instead?......then again you could just fall over laughin'

Used these on decking steps only, work great!, don,t know about the whole deck though...come in different colours...

Old 04 June 2018, 09:13 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ray54
How about some anti-slip shoes instead?......then again you could just fall over laughin'

Used these on decking steps only, work great!, don,t know about the whole deck though...come in different colours...

Do these fit into the grooves?
Old 04 June 2018, 10:52 AM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decking is less slippy if installed properly, i.e groved side down. The smooth side should be to the top, which means it dries more efficiently so there is no build up of slippy algae living on the wood. The grooves should only be on the top if anti-slip inserts are going to be put in them.
Old 04 June 2018, 11:33 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I fitted a large wooden deck in our back garden approx 13yrs ago - still pretty good now - that was using proper decking tannalised timber and beams.

However it IS as slippery as **** in the Winter when its constantly damp! - not too bad in the Summer as it's mostly dry. Its the algae on it that makes it slippy.
It is totally untreated.

Weirdly I have just spent the entire weekend rebuilding it (I'm cream crackered!), as we have had an extension and the part of deck that was took up I got them to keep and stack up (probably half the deck), I have managed to reuse both boards & joists to make good and extend the area up to the new extension - I was amazed at just how well the boards have coped - most of them are still like new. I did treat ALL the cut ends with End Grain Preserative when I built it, and I used it again this weekend, as I reckon it does make a difference.

Those groove deck strips look good - I looked at similar product to these a few years ago, but they were prohibitively expensive then - I will investigate these again, as it is lethal in the Winter for sure.

My builder wanted to rip the whole deck up - he started in Feb! He wouldn't even let his guys walk on it at all for fear of slips/falls - in the end we compromised - he only took up what he needed, but screwed down fine mesh chicken wire on the rest - which I have say did a fantastic job - and I was tempted to keep it on - however the chicken wire did go a bit baggy in places as it stretched with wear - one thing though all the sand, cement, gravel etc plus 4 hairy arsed builders walking on it during the building process did a great job of scouring the deck clean! hahahaha
Old 04 June 2018, 06:05 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice guys
Old 04 June 2018, 06:28 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

The Deckwright insert kit.... comes with the adhesive, got from B&Q....
Old 04 June 2018, 06:54 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ray54

The Deckwright insert kit.... comes with the adhesive, got from B&Q....
just been speaking to a pal who uses a stain with grit in it, he said it is good stuff so thats another option for me
Old 04 June 2018, 09:08 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is treacherous when wet but looks great .
I just hold the side rails when walking on it ,if its damp or wet , but to be honest I only use it in the dry months anyway, which aint many. It leads to my summer house.