Any builders here....downpipe advice please

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2017, 04:31 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Any builders here....downpipe advice please

Just a quickie.....

Where does the water go that flows from your guttering into your down pipe? Does it flow into a soak away or into an underground drainage system?
Old 29 December 2017, 05:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Can go into any; sewer, storm drain or soakaway: Depends on age of property and where it is in relation to nearby services. By rights though it "should" go to a storm drain.

Ours goes into the sewer (that's how it was built)...one is blocked as I noticed when I trod in a 4" deep puddle wearing slippers on Tuesday night ...something I should have sorted today but really can't be arsed

Our old house had separate storm which I believe ran to a piped stream leading to the Stour. I recall we had the water authority round flushing dye down the bogs because some numbnut in the street had connected their bog to the storm drainage system.

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 December 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 29 December 2017, 05:28 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Can go into any; sewer, storm drain or soakaway: Depends on age of property and where it is in relation to nearby services. By rights though it "should" go to a storm drain.

Ours goes into the sewer (that's how it was built)...one is blocked as I noticed when I trod in a 4" deep puddle wearing slippers on Tuesday night ...something I should have sorted today but really can't be arsed

Our old house had separate storm which I believe ran to a piped stream leading to the Stour. I recall we had the water authority round flushing dye down the bogs because some numbnut in the street had connected their bog to the storm drainage system.
Well it's a new build and across the road there is what I'm gonna guess is a storm drain. Basically a large excavated area with a large pipe leading somewhere
Old 29 December 2017, 05:33 PM
seanvx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will go to a manhole ether the front or back of your house , what's the problem?

Last edited by seanvx; 29 December 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 29 December 2017, 05:40 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seanvx
It will go to a manhole ether the front or back of your house , what's the problem?
No problem as such, am gonna be having some landscaping work done in a few months and I'm trying to find out what's buried in the back yard, neighbour said that the down pipe would lead into a gravel soak away in the back garden but to me that doesn't sound right.
Old 29 December 2017, 05:43 PM
seanvx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yer it could do it will probably go to a manhole first (600 square black plastic one) then into the soak away , if it is a soak away it probably be quite deep
Old 30 December 2017, 03:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Would anyone notice in the Stour?
Old 30 December 2017, 03:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
No problem as such, am gonna be having some landscaping work done in a few months and I'm trying to find out what's buried in the back yard, neighbour said that the down pipe would lead into a gravel soak away in the back garden but to me that doesn't sound right.
Four out of six of mine do just that.

Severn Trent charge us £90 pa to drain the remaining two.

1960's built 3 bed detached.
Old 30 December 2017, 10:16 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Could always hire a cat and genny to see where they run. We use them often at work and are a good piece of kit
Old 30 December 2017, 10:31 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
Could always hire a cat and genny to see where they run. We use them often at work and are a good piece of kit
a what?
Old 31 December 2017, 12:12 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

All new builds have to drain roof water into soak aways. Cat scan detection for pipes cables etc