Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well done, Poland.

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2017, 08:45 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Setting aside differences of opinions on faiths / beliefs / religion etc, I used to really like Sundays as they were when I was a kid. Nothing was open, nothing happened, and traffic was almost non existent (this was early 80's btw.)

My family were committed Christians (Baptists) on Sunday the TV would not have been on in our house, my brother an I weren't allowed to play outside, Sunday had to be different. I kinda liked it because it was different to other days of the week, and was a time to spend with family, either my own immediate family, or we visited extended family or they visited us.
My memories.
Old 28 November 2017, 09:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So where were the northern greeks living from 500 bc ?
Old 28 November 2017, 09:37 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Postmodern materialism is not European culture it is European anti-culture. Atheists should go to church on a Sunday and sing hymns and listen to the sermon and have coffee with people from their community in our often beautiful churches and cathedrals. Going to B&M Bargains to buy stuff is stultifying at best and more likely nihilistic. People need meaning in their lives, acquisition is not the antedote. Europe has a Christian cultural heritage stretching back at least 1600 years; to think we can strip this out and remain intact is absolute lunacy.

1600 years is not a very long in the context of time. The human race thrived and flourished for many multiples of that time period without Christianity.
Old 28 November 2017, 10:01 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
1600 years is not a very long in the context of time. The human race thrived and flourished for many multiples of that time period without Christianity.
We’re discussing Europe. Please expand on your claim that humans “thrived and flourished”, but within the confines of Europe in the years preceding Christendom. I would be interested to know the facts upon which your assertion is based.
Old 29 November 2017, 06:09 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Living in a predominantly Catholic country I've gradually slipped into this groove of sunday being a day of rest... dare I say... I quite like it and think it's actually not such a bad thing.

In this modern age I think it's good to have a day away from the hustle and bustle of daily life, spend some time with the family, have a meal together and go for an afternoon stroll and basically do nothing all day... recharges the batteries for the coming week.
Old 30 November 2017, 07:24 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Living in a predominantly Catholic country I've gradually slipped into this groove of sunday being a day of rest... dare I say... I quite like it and think it's actually not such a bad thing.

In this modern age I think it's good to have a day away from the hustle and bustle of daily life, spend some time with the family, have a meal together and go for an afternoon stroll and basically do nothing all day... recharges the batteries for the coming week.
A day off to relax is always good, and should always be a matter choice, not imposed.
We all have free will and can make our own decisions, that's something that the church doesn't like very much btw.