Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Plastic Maggots .... they work, how do they do that?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2017, 08:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic Maggots .... they work, how do they do that?

A few weeks ago I started fishing once more, I even bought a Fishing Licence (for me to buy ANYTHING means I'm serious as I'm naturally a tight git).

Anyway, I bought 1/2 pint of maggots and popped them into my 40 year old baitbox ..... little was I to know that the breather holes were now filled in with dried/damp sawdust from the 1970's.

I put them in the boot while I had my tea. When I returned a few hours later I thought I would check on them ..... opened them up and they were sweating, it was bubbling and horrible!

Now, as you know I'm really clever, so worked out that if I 'cracked' open the top it would help them breath overnight ......

The morning arrived, as it does, and I popped to the boot of the Honda .... I opened it up and - to my horror - saw that the heat of the morning sun through the glass had allowed the top to fall off ................................. where the hell were all the maggots????

Now, anyone who knows the Honda Civic will know there is a secret area under the boot floor ..... it's always in the dark, and it seems that maggots love the dark, they hunt it out and get in there (I don't know how they do it as they don't have eyes, do they?).

So, I lift up the floor and there they are - hundreds of the sodding things - wriggling happily about.

The light from me lifting the floor had the effect of them all running - yes I know they have no legs - but they can't half move fast!! They all started disappearing into the trim!! I did grab a few but the rest were lost to me!

Anyway, I went fishing with what I had and was quite successful ... I even bought some more maggots and cleared the breather holes in my bait box - this cured the sweating problems.

About 10 days later I got into the car and was swarmed by bluebottles!! FFS the damned things had hatched!! They are amazing beautiful considering the fluid maggots they start from ...... that said, I was wafting flies out of the car for about a week!! Hundreds of the things and quite dangerous when they appear from the trim and attack you while driving!

Long story short ..... I saw some plastic maggots in the tackle shop so gave them a go this afternoon .... and they work, they really do!!!

Had some good catches, how can they do that? They do feel real and look real ..... but I thought fish were a bit cleverer than that!? They don't wriggle for example.

All those cold winters I spent with a mouthful of maggots to keep them warm and wriggling maybe wasn't needed??

Anyone here use these things?

Last edited by pslewis; 29 October 2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 29 October 2017, 10:59 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Lol

Not used the fake maggots but have used the fake sweetcorn with some success
Old 29 October 2017, 11:11 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

slippery buggers those maggots
Artificial baits have been around for many years and work well,they might not be live but still move in the water and some are flavored.
Spam,sweet corn and bread have caught me some big fish
Old 31 October 2017, 07:23 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the same problem with live maggots in your car in the future, simply park your car in the river and the fish will eat them all for you. Simple.
Old 31 October 2017, 07:35 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SWRTWannabe
If you have the same problem with live maggots in your car in the future, simply park your car in the river and the fish will eat them all for you. Simple.
lol
Old 02 November 2017, 07:44 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only go mackerel fishing these days... I've had the most success with the little tin foil looking lures... this summers Cornwall outing saw me and my boy leaving the locals stunned with 39 keepers... caught a fair few more between us but they were undersized so had to throw them back despite them being the best tasting... 22cm minimum size down there.

Never been much good at float fishing... but always did ok when Carp fishing... always found tinned dog meat mixed in with my bait to be quite a good one, picked the tip up off an old boy on some ponds out Tamworth way... my luck changed almost instantly.
Old 02 November 2017, 09:58 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Yep, they can't half run those maggots! You have to be quick!

Brilliant thread.
Old 02 November 2017, 11:28 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Unless their INFESTING YOUR CAR