Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Applying for a job, unknown salary?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2017, 06:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Applying for a job, unknown salary?

What's that all about?

Youngest has applied, and been interviewed for, a job with a BIG company.
But despite asking at interview and going online, he still has no idea what salary he might be offered. And yet they asked HIM what he earned on his application form.

Why do they do that?

And why do folk online advise you NOT to ask what the salary is, when it's not stated????
Old 06 March 2017, 09:55 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is his profession? I think the most legitimate reason for this is that there is a budget for the hire, salary will be determined based on his experience, there is no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't state what the range is or explain thier approach. Personally I wouldn't raise salary in a first interview or screening interview, there are better questions to ask at those stages. If he is in the last few candidates, then it may be more appropriate, but leave the negotiation until he has an offer.

If the package negotiation is being ran based on what he earns + 10%, he is probably negotiating with the wrong person in the company. If HR or talent acquisition are running the negotiations in this way I would view it quite dimly, as it infers that the comapny is not willing to spend what it takes to attract the right individuals to the role, it also indicates the employer (or the person in the negotiations) doesn't really understand the market. The stupidity of that approach is that they may go through the time and cost of interviewing potential hires, and loose the best candidate over a few thousand pounds.

Ask the right questions though, and ensure he understands the full package - if they don't offer the base salary he wants, haggle for benefits, health insurance, car allowance, signing bonus, shares, company bonus, personal bonus etc etc (obviously not all of those!). My personal view is that salary should always be negotiated, but be realistic and know the market, and ensure any justification for a increased salary is well anchored.

Has he looked at sites like glassdoor and totaljobs to get an idea of the market rate?
Old 07 March 2017, 07:13 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
The stupidity of that approach is that they may go through the time and cost of interviewing potential hires, and loose the best candidate over a few thousand pounds.
This jumps out at me, the selection process takes a lot of time and effort as well as cost and I dont understand why at least a range hasn't been discussed.

I wouldn't be applying and putting the time in without an idea especially with so many direct sales jobs hidden as IT or admin roles. Guess they hope once you have the job you'll just be grateful.
Old 07 March 2017, 09:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yes it was HR.

He has a degree in Chemistry and works in labs doing QC and data for the production dept.
Old 07 March 2017, 01:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

From job ads I've applied for, the advertised salary was often quite a bit away from the actual one (always lower).

I guess it's more honest to not state a salary than advertise one that is not realistically achievable.
Old 09 March 2017, 11:34 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Any employer who seeks all the transparency from you as a job candidate, but hides important facts such as the wage packet is not worth giving your valuable services for.

You have a right to ask the salary in the very first interview at the end when they offer you the 'any questions?' time.

Never be so desperate that you bow down to something as unethical as them being cagey with you about the salary, due to their 'power and control' attitude; right at the very beginning. Have some confidence in yourself and dignity.

Even if they are to pay according to the candidate's experience, they can always inform e.g. 'Between 26k and 32k; depending on your qualifications/experience'. But if they don't, dump them and look for a better job opportunity out there.
Old 09 March 2017, 11:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Agreed, but we live in one of the most depressed areas in the country, Humberside, so it's not that easy.

He and his partner are still awaiting her getting a full-time job after getting a 2.1 in social and political science last year.......
Old 09 March 2017, 11:59 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Agreed, but we live in one of the most depressed areas in the country, Humberside, so it's not that easy.

He and his partner are still awaiting her getting a full-time job after getting a 2.1 in social and political science last year.......
Despite, Alcazar, I'm sure your son is more worth than working for such employer that deliberately lacks transparency and blatantly exposes its 'power and control' attitude from the very beginning.

I'm all for the employment candidate showing the readiness to provide flexibility and support to the employing organisation, but this sort of cagey attitude from the company stinks! This thread indicates to me that it seems to become a norm that a candidate mustn't ask the salary in first interview. I'm gobsmacked to learn that! Not until long ago it was the zero-hour contract issue, and now this! Shame on this field of employability, in this so-called super-developed side of the world!
Old 29 March 2017, 02:30 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In answer to the original question, I think only the recruiters themselves will know why.

However, a good place to look for jobs these days is LinkedIn. All the big companies have a presence and are often searching for candidates on there.

I have come across many adverts on there where positions are advertised without a specified salary and if such a position interests me, I will try and connect with the recruiter and politely enquire about the salary and any associated benefits, before deciding if it's in my interests to apply. If the recruiter refuses to disclose that info then I don't waste any more of my time or theirs.
Old 29 March 2017, 03:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Update, After more than three weeks, and no response, he emailed them to ask oif any decision had been taken, and they said no.

Waiting until the new tax year?
Old 29 March 2017, 03:56 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could well be, or waiting on quarterly results etc. I work for a big global IT services provider (who shall remain nameless) and the tactics used to make the numbers crunch at different periods of the year can beggar belief at times.

I applied for my current position in Oct 2010 and wasn't interviewed until early Dec 2010. I didn't hear anything back for a couple of months and assumed they just weren't interested. I thought nothing more of it and then got a call late Feb / early March 2011, was offered the job and started in Apr 2011. So it was a 6 month process for me. Having seen how the company operates from the inside, I can bet the process was held up by budgets, bean counting, and timings; the fact that the recruiting process was outsourced to a 'partner' probably also added to the duration of the process.