GSD advice

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2017, 07:33 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GSD advice

Hey all,

not sure this is the best place but I need some advice regarding my poorly GSD. Tara is almost ten and has always had the occasional fainting spell, the vet said it's her heart but because it was so rare and it didn't bother her, he suggested not treating it (you treat the symptoms not the condition) Anyway, in the last three days she has developed a cough, my local vet said it could be kennel or it could be her heart. The cough strangely and potentially coincidentally started the day I gave her some metacam as she was acting a bit lethargic, which at her age is normally her sore legs. Her cough is dry and almost makes her heave. She's eating and drinking and going the toilet but she is coughing when resting which I know isn't a good sign. The cough seems to be making her feel pretty sorry for herself even though she maybe coughs every few hours.

The vet said to give her a week and give her the metacam daily but obviously I want to act to help her now. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm willing to pay the £600 to have the scans but they say if the issue isn't happening at the time nothing will be seen and £600 isn't something I can afford to waste.

Still playful
Old 09 January 2017, 11:12 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Cough is a known side effect of metacam.
As with all medicines for humans and animals it's often a case of weighing up the benefits vs. the downsides.
Is the metacam helping the condition that it is being used for?
There are other medications available - talk to your vet about any alternatives.
Hope Tara is feeling better soon!
Cheers
Steve
Old 09 January 2017, 12:47 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pimmo

I didn't know about coughs being a side effect of metacalm so hopefully its just that.

With any NSAID I'd be asking the vet for something to counter any irritation it could be causing in her stomach however as one of the main side effects is gastro-intestinal tract ulceration and bleeding. I lost a dog a few years ago now to just that so make sure he vet gives you something to counter the anti inflamatory damaging her stomach and follwow the instructions of when to give the anti inflamatories to the letter (ie with food, etc)

Is she coughing anything up? Like pale yellow/white foam or similar? If so that can be a sign of fluid on their lungs which is generally a result of heart failure at that age.

An ultarsound and ecg will show most heart related problems in mature dogs.

Also keep an eye (or hand) on her paws. Make sure they are as warm as the rest of her. Cold or cool paws while indoors is an indication of heart issues too.

Hope she's ok - look like a lovely dog.
Old 09 January 2017, 02:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Devildog
Cold or cool paws while indoors is an indication of heart issues too.

presumably that's the result if poor circulation

and hope all goes well Pimmo
Old 09 January 2017, 06:22 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

If everything else fails, give it another punch in the mouth.
Old 10 January 2017, 06:45 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steve05wrx
Hi,
Cough is a known side effect of metacam.
As with all medicines for humans and animals it's often a case of weighing up the benefits vs. the downsides.
Is the metacam helping the condition that it is being used for?
There are other medications available - talk to your vet about any alternatives.
Hope Tara is feeling better soon!
Cheers
Steve
I thought that, but the vet didn't seem to think so.. the metacam didn't really do much to help her so I think I'll knock it on the head for a few days, it was just a pain killer for her old legs we used now and then.

Originally Posted by Devildog
Pimmo

I didn't know about coughs being a side effect of metacalm so hopefully its just that.

With any NSAID I'd be asking the vet for something to counter any irritation it could be causing in her stomach however as one of the main side effects is gastro-intestinal tract ulceration and bleeding. I lost a dog a few years ago now to just that so make sure he vet gives you something to counter the anti inflamatory damaging her stomach and follwow the instructions of when to give the anti inflamatories to the letter (ie with food, etc)

Is she coughing anything up? Like pale yellow/white foam or similar? If so that can be a sign of fluid on their lungs which is generally a result of heart failure at that age.

An ultarsound and ecg will show most heart related problems in mature dogs.

Also keep an eye (or hand) on her paws. Make sure they are as warm as the rest of her. Cold or cool paws while indoors is an indication of heart issues too.

Vet didn't give her anything as her lungs were clear, not coughing anything up no. Gums are good, paws, eyes, temp, she seems fine.

Originally Posted by stilover
If everything else fails, give it another punch in the mouth.
She punches me more than I punch her

It's like having a baby again, I'm up and next to her every time she coughs.