Trick or treat?

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2016, 09:51 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trick or treat?

By my mate Glen Scrivener:

It's a few years old now and I've posted it before, but in my opinion worth sharing again. Feedback is, as always, gratefully received.
Old 28 October 2016, 12:12 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mumbo jumbo religious nonsense
Old 28 October 2016, 12:45 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Mumbo jumbo religious nonsense
Thanks for the feedback, Urban.
Old 28 October 2016, 01:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

IMO anything that shows the light to people and change them into better people is cool. The only thing I'd like to add is that if the change is simply being perceived (by the changed and the beholder) due to the cloaking or masking self with that 'anything', and doesn't really change the interior with some hope for the good change's permanency, then it's just a child play; like Halloween. One might as well go treat-or-treating with the kids with their mask/cloak of 'niceness' on.

Just in case if there's an issue with that, I'm aware of the fundamental difference between taking on a role of the dead or evil and a role of a Christ follower. Therefore, one may not go out begging for sweets with Halloween kids, but find another date to perform their own door-to-door begging drama. They both will be based on the same principle i.e. the principle of pretence. You can call it 'Christ-een', if you like. I don't mean 'Christine'. It should be spoken like "Christ" + "teen". Just an idea.

Last edited by Turbohot; 28 October 2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 28 October 2016, 01:46 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
IMO anything that shows the light to people and change them into better people is cool. The only thing I'd like to add is that if the change is simply being perceived (by the changed and the beholder) due to the cloaking or masking self with that 'anything', and doesn't really change the interior with some hope for the good change's permanency, then it's just a child play; like Halloween. One might as well go treat-or-treating with the kids with their mask/cloak of 'niceness' on.

Just in case if there's an issue with that, I'm aware of the fundamental difference between taking on a role of the dead or evil and a role of a Christ follower. Therefore, one may not go out begging for sweets with Halloween kids, but find another date to perform their own door-to-door begging drama. They both will be based on the same principle i.e. the principle of pretence. You can call it 'Christ-een', if you like. I don't mean 'Christine'. It should be spoken like "Christ" + "teen". Just an idea.
Yes, that's a really interesting insight; the parallel between kids pretending to be ghouls by wearing costumes and Christians pretending to be 'good' by being clothed in Christ's righteousness. I think the latter are concious of their sin, have confessed it and seek to chip away at it by imitating Christ, following Him and endeavouring to obey His commands. In lay terms, we fake it 'till we make it; that is we pray that one day our inner life will reflect that of the exterior cloak. We are to persevere with this until such time as it's realised in glory i.e. when we join Jesus upon our passing. There are no perfect humans this side of glory; merely those pilgrims that grow closer to Christ as they progress through the journey of life and in their walk with the Lord. Some of us started so far back that we need to run just to get to the beginning; that is the burden.

Last edited by JTaylor; 28 October 2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 28 October 2016, 02:00 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Thanks for the feedback, Urban.
You're welcome
Old 28 October 2016, 03:09 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's a really interesting insight; the parallel between kids pretending to be ghouls by wearing costumes and Christians pretending to be 'good' by being clothed in Christ's righteousness. I think the latter are concious of their sin, have confessed it and seek to chip away at it by imitating Christ, following Him and endeavouring to obey His commands. In lay terms, we fake it 'till we make it; that is we pray that one day our inner life will reflect that of the exterior cloak. We are to persevere with this until such time as it's realised in glory i.e. when we join Jesus upon our passing. There are no perfect humans this side of glory; merely those pilgrims that grow closer to Christ as they progress through the journey of life and in their walk with the Lord. Some of us started so far back that we need to run just to get to the beginning; that is the burden.
The latter are aware of their sin, but continue to sin anyway because it suits them better than the teachings they claim to follow...

Seems alot of religious people will merely fake it, as they knowingly do not follow the teachings they claim
Old 28 October 2016, 03:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
The latter are aware of their sin, but continue to sin anyway because it suits them better than the teachings they claim to follow...

Seems alot of religious people will merely fake it, as they knowingly do not follow the teachings they claim
Romans 7

Last edited by JTaylor; 28 October 2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 28 October 2016, 03:53 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Romans 7
Those pesky devils making you do things that are so easy to not do but yet people do them anyway.

Nothing to do with not having commitment to your faith as a whole and cherry picking the bits that suit, its devils I tell thee....
Old 28 October 2016, 04:01 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Those pesky devils making you do things that are so easy to not do but yet people do them anyway.

Nothing to do with not having commitment to your faith as a whole and cherry picking the bits that suit, its devils I tell thee....
Only Jesus was and is perfect; I'm just a wretch saved by grace.
Old 28 October 2016, 04:05 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Only Jesus was and is perfect
So why does he allow such suffering to mankind via disease/natural disasters etc.
Old 28 October 2016, 04:08 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
So why does he allow such suffering to mankind via disease/natural disasters etc.
The fall.
Old 29 October 2016, 07:23 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

What a crock of **** that was.
Old 29 October 2016, 10:56 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
What a crock of **** that was.
I agree
Old 30 October 2016, 03:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

IMO the poet in the OP vid is a good reciter.
Old 30 October 2016, 07:43 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
IMO the poet in the OP vid is a good reciter.
He might be, but **** me, that was really boring.
Old 30 October 2016, 09:20 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
He might be, but **** me, that was really boring.
Well I think he's a good reciter because his delivery isn't boring; that's even if you disagree with what he's reciting.

I suppose we all have our appraisal criteria.
Old 31 October 2016, 12:12 AM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Religion is a load of bollocks!

Mary was a slag and got knocked up by one of her 'f**k buddies', but wouldn't admit what happened, someone in the town wrote a story of this 'immaculate conception' that had just occurred, this became known as 'the bible'

Religion and wealth are the causes of most of the evil that happens
Old 31 October 2016, 08:52 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
Religion is a load of bollocks!

Mary was a slag and got knocked up by one of her 'f**k buddies', but wouldn't admit what happened, someone in the town wrote a story of this 'immaculate conception' that had just occurred, this became known as 'the bible'

Religion and wealth are the causes of most of the evil that happens
Spit it out mate and say what you mean, all this candy coating, beating about the bush makes it difficult for us to understand what it is you're trying to say.
Old 31 October 2016, 10:08 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Boozydave's alright. He may be guilty of gross blasphemy, but he's one of the few kind souls on here who's contributed to The Fostering Network via my Sober October stunt. Bless you, Dave, I pray that one day you can be reconciled with my faith.
Old 31 October 2016, 10:11 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Boozydave's alright. He may be guilty of gross blasphemy, but he's one of the few kind souls on here who's contributed to The Fostering Network via my Sober October stunt. Bless you, Dave, I pray that one day you can be reconciled with my faith.
I couldnt think of anything more insulting to say to someone with daves kind of views....
Old 31 October 2016, 10:27 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I couldnt think of anything more insulting to say to someone with daves kind of views....
Would you be kind enough to elucidate, the last thing I want to do is contravene 1 Peter 3:9?
Old 31 October 2016, 10:42 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Would you be kind enough to elucidate, the last thing I want to do is contravene 1 Peter 3:9?
Why you would pray for anyone who does not beleive in religous mumbo jumbo to reconcile with your faith is frankly absurd.

And to be honest the last thing I would want is someone to pray for me, I am fine as I am, and praying isnt going to change that...

Its basically like turning round and saying "**** you" to an atheist...

You also offer to pray for various members on here, whom you have never met nor do you know, so i highly doubt the sincerity of your pledges, which is also somewhat insulting...

"Dear fake bloke in the sky, please watch over boozy dave, scoobdood, and wrxsti2020, and jazzyjeff, I pray that they find faith"
Old 31 October 2016, 10:55 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Why you would pray for anyone who does not beleive in religous mumbo jumbo to reconcile with your faith is frankly absurd.

And to be honest the last thing I would want is someone to pray for me, I am fine as I am, and praying isnt going to change that...

Its basically like turning round and saying "**** you" to an atheist...

You also offer to pray for various members on here, whom you have never met nor do you know, so i highly doubt the sincerity of your pledges, which is also somewhat insulting...

"Dear fake bloke in the sky, please watch over boozy dave, scoobdood, and wrxsti2020, and jazzyjeff, I pray that they find faith"
First, I once thought and felt that belief in Jesus was nonsense; in fact I'm on record amongst the threads of this very site as having said so. Christians prayed for me then and I've since come to know the Lord. In other words, I've come to understand the power of prayer and, as I said earlier, miracles do happen.

Secondly, my prayer is sincere, if it's not then I grieve the Lord and this flies in the face of the love I have for Him.

Finally, I have not prayed that Dave finds faith (although the Angels in heaven would be overjoyed if he did) I have prayed that he be reconciled with Christianity. There is a difference.

As ever, I appreciate the feedback and I'll pray that you can begin to understand that which you deride.
Old 31 October 2016, 11:09 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

First, I once thought and felt that belief in Jesus was nonsense; in fact I'm on record amongst the threads of this very site as having said so. Christians prayed for me then and I've since come to know the Lord. In other words, I've come to understand the power of prayer and, as I said earlier, miracles do happen.

Secondly, my prayer is sincere, if it's not then I grieve the Lord and this flies in the face of the love I have for Him.

Finally, I have not prayed that Dave finds faith (although the Angels in heaven would be overjoyed if he did) I have prayed that he be reconciled with Christianity. There is a difference.

As ever, I appreciate the feedback and I'll pray that you can begin to understand that which you deride.
Dont waste your breath praying for me, as ive already mentioned previously its pretty much thebmost insulting thing you could say to me...

Which brings me back to what I said about sincerity and it been a religous way of saying "**** you". You know my views on the phrase and practice yet you knowingly do it to insult someone....

Unfortunately JT, you can preach uour heart out on here, but you are a fair weather christian who cherry picks the bits you want to follow and conveniently ignores the rest of it....
Old 31 October 2016, 11:22 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Dont waste your breath praying for me, as ive already mentioned previously its pretty much thebmost insulting thing you could say to me...

Which brings me back to what I said about sincerity and it been a religous way of saying "**** you". You know my views on the phrase and practice yet you knowingly do it to insult someone....

Unfortunately JT, you can preach uour heart out on here, but you are a fair weather christian who cherry picks the bits you want to follow and conveniently ignores the rest of it....
I think your last paragraph refers to the fact that I'm unmarried to my partner. It does smack of hypocrisy and it's a source of anguish for me. This does not make me a fair weather Christian, but it does make me a hopeless sinner saved by the grace of God.
Old 31 October 2016, 11:31 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I think your last paragraph refers to the fact that I'm unmarried to my partner. It does smack of hypocrisy and it's a source of anguish for me. This does not make me a fair weather Christian, but it does make me a hopeless sinner saved by the grace of God.
Hey at the end of the day, who wouldnt want to get their ***** wet? I cant fault you for that.

Just admit that getting laid is more important to you than your beloved fictional god....
Old 31 October 2016, 12:26 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Hey at the end of the day, who wouldnt want to get their ***** wet? I cant fault you for that.

Just admit that getting laid is more important to you than your beloved fictional god....
When fleshy passion takes over, when our carnal instinct is to make love, it's fair to say that my desire for my partner is at the forefront of my mind when in fact, to which you rightly allude, it ought to be the Lord's commandments. Thank God Jesus died on the cross for my sins and that I can be washed clean with His blood. It is a blessed assurance.
Old 31 October 2016, 01:03 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Through the power of prayer my wife left a hospital full of confused doctors who said she wouldn't be leaving alive. I need to second your statement that miracles happen.
Old 31 October 2016, 01:08 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Through the power of prayer my wife left a hospital full of confused doctors who said she wouldn't be leaving alive. I need to second your statement that miracles happen.
Praise God!