Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contact Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2016, 09:14 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Contact Lenses

Question for all you contact lenses wearers, what is the most comfortable lenses on the market?

I've just had a trial of Alcon Daillies and I have to say they were quite good, the optician costs are £45 for 30 pairs, seems I can 90 pairs for the same price online.

If I'm taking the plunge I'd sooner get the most comfortable even if the cost is a little elevated

Thanks,
Rob
Old 13 October 2016, 09:33 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't worn contacts in some time, but did wear bosch and lomb hard lenses for about 10 years - cant fault them. Went back to wearing specs due to my working environment being a dry aircon'd office.
Old 13 October 2016, 10:22 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Haven't worn contacts in some time, but did wear bosch and lomb hard lenses for about 10 years - cant fault them. Went back to wearing specs due to my working environment being a dry aircon'd office.
I'm on specs, and have been since school days to a degree, I managed without so to speak until around 5 years ago where I had to give in to the test of time, so I'm now wearing specs for work, tv, reading, occasionally driving and home renovation.

So if I can get glasses off my face for at least 50% of the time will be a result!

Simply fed up with wearing glasses, wearing for pic and reading, off to talk people, on for pc, off again, on - off - on

Last edited by Rob Day; 13 October 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 14 October 2016, 09:33 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I've been wearing monthlies for about 15 years now and get on great with them. Costs me around £20 a month for solutions, lenses, postage and yearly checkups (they're now a requirement to obtain lenses).

Dailys are likely to be slightly thinner and therefore a little more comfortable, but I find that you quickly get used to most soft lenses. With dailys you don't have to worry about solutions.
Old 14 October 2016, 01:15 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I have been using Daysoft lenses for around 8 years now.
£12 for 32 pairs. Buy direct as most opticians won't prescribe them as they do not offer them.
Last me 12hrs a day before they start to go dry.
Super comfortable and simple through away jobbies.
Old 14 October 2016, 06:18 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

I'll continue with my trial and try various option.

I like the idea of daily throwaways, so I'll try the daysoft if they are comfortable at £12 pm

Rob
Old 14 October 2016, 09:02 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I've had rigid gas permeable lenses for over 20 years, never had any variety of soft lenses as always found the gas permeables comfortable.

I changed opticians recently and did wonder if they were going to suggest a move to soft lenses, but the optician was an advocate of the gas permeables so sticking with them.

Cost wise, I think they work out cheaper, as they last years - I had one pair for 10 years, since then advice was to change every two years. Not sure whether that advice was from a health perspective or from the point of view of Boots accountants. Solutions cost about 25 quid for three months, plus Saline for rinsing.
Old 14 October 2016, 09:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cant imagine going back to contact lenses , you need to be particular vain to put up with all that work / dry eye ****e

imo
Old 15 October 2016, 09:52 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Vanity is not necessarily a key decision making point, although I acknowledge for some it may be. Wearing lenses doesn't cause your vision to deteriorate in the way that always wearing specs does. Going out in the rain is a lot better with contacts than with specs. I am a little undecided between changing my specs, going back to contacts or giving laser surgery a shot. I hate waking up and not being able to see, I dont feel awake until I get my specs on and have things properly in focus.
Old 16 October 2016, 02:43 AM
Jamie Bird
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Cant imagine going back to contact lenses , you need to be particular vain to put up with all that work / dry eye ****e

imo
Eh?!?
I've been wearing lenses (daily's) since I was 17 (18 years ago) and I've got no idea what 'work/dry eye **** you're on about'?
Literally I put them in approximately 5:40AM (without a mirror) and then take them out when I go to bed approximately 11:15PM.
When I tried glasses it was more hassle with them steaming up and remembering where I'd left them!
Old 16 October 2016, 11:32 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Some very good points raised here, thanks for opening my eyes a little more (punt unintended)

Vanity in my decision making is probably 10%, the 90% main reason is the hassle freeness through the day, simply plug and play!

For what it's worth my lass thinks I look better with specs on! LOL
Old 16 October 2016, 01:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well . You can vary and have different versions of glasses ( cheaply if you go online)

Youre obviously very adept Jamie , you've had some practise !

forgetting to take them out / eye infection / cant swim with them. All that stuff - honesty couldn't be arsed.

Glasses your first line defence against unwanted visitors also
Old 16 October 2016, 09:20 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Well . You can vary and have different versions of glasses ( cheaply if you go online)

Youre obviously very adept Jamie , you've had some practise !

forgetting to take them out / eye infection / cant swim with them. All that stuff - honesty couldn't be arsed.

Glasses your first line defence against unwanted visitors also
I'd imagine some, if not most, would use both lenses and specs?

Does anyone swim in glasses?
Old 16 October 2016, 09:59 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had the "age creeping up" thing and its a right pain in the a$$ and the worst thing about getting old so far by miles. Over the past 5 years, my reading eyesight has deteriorated and I really struggle to read any form of "normal print".

So far I've tried reading glasses in a variety of forms of lens but still, at the end of the day, have a pair of glasses that I might drop, sit on, forget to take and otherwise provide a right pain in the proverbials. I've got a pair that I can perch on my head so that they are always to hand and I find myself going everywhere with them so placed.

Earlier this year I tried contacts - the daily form. OMG, even more aggravation! Started with varifocals but they are useless as you spend your time blinking in order to focus on anything & don't FFS drive, especially in the dark! Afterwards tried mixed prescriptions, so that my left eye has the reading & the other almost a placebo. Bit odd to start but works once you get used to it. That's best but even when used to it, its still a bit lopsided.

I now use normal reading glasses as before for work and blundering around the house but wear contacts for things like going out in the evenings or social gatherings when you sometimes need to read but not always.

Whole thing is a nightmare and I may have laser surgery in a couple of years time.
Old 17 October 2016, 09:19 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
I'd imagine some, if not most, would use both lenses and specs?

Does anyone swim in glasses?
yes i did have both for a while , maybe could go back If they could invent some which don't suck the moisture out of your eyes (unlikely). Stepdad whose passed had the hard ones off/on , they seemed be even more brutal regime

I think you could possibly wear contacts ,under swimming googles
Old 17 October 2016, 09:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Present glasses cost 20 quid , delivered !
Rimless , well made , had them 5 months

No doubt assembled in some ghastly sweat shop
Old 17 October 2016, 09:07 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I've a set of those slave labour specs from specky four eyes, they are cheap and cheerful, but not ideal as the ones I've chosen are not sprung so fall of my heed when leaning forward!
Old 17 October 2016, 09:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

hmmm These aernt sprung , cant say its been problem . Did whole triathlon with them on

not the swim obviously
Old 18 October 2016, 11:04 AM
AP3491
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually have air optics in my right eye and soft lens in my left as air optics don't do one strong enough I always find my right eye dries out quicker and blinking becomes an issue after 12 hours, I then swap them for either my glasses or another fully moisture lens, the softlens ones are a German make I believe. Thanks Aaron
Old 23 November 2016, 08:29 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hey all.

Well I've been wearing the lenses now for a month, absolutely great with no issues bar perhaps being a bit hasty removing one and caused a little irritation, but it slept off.

I've got around a week or so left on the Total Dailies, and I've tried some other day soft which aren't quite as comfortable, however I'll wear them a little more to see if i just need to get used to them.

I think the monthly ones are worth looking at, but only because of cost, however I'd sooner have comfort over saving a few quid.

Rob