Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ear Defenders

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2016, 08:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ear Defenders

Anyone know the best ones that you could sleep with?

I have an owl living in a tree across the street; right opposite to my hut. It talks really loud after 2am-ish and trembles its baby-like voice on a really high pitch for hours! It's doing my head in.

I've tried foam ones, they're rubbish because they slip out of my ears. My neighbour has given me a pair, which is like a headphone with micro foams attached to it. That's more effective but whenever you hit the circular plastic bit, it sounds pretty harsh to my ears like a stethoscope is being tapped. Very disturbing (worse than the owl song) and disappointing.

Anyone knows a good set of ear defenders that could help?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 11 October 2016, 08:24 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

These seem to be getting plugged a lot, no idea how good they are.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...your-ears--4#/
Old 11 October 2016, 08:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
These seem to be getting plugged a lot, no idea how good they are.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...your-ears--4#/
Wow, they seem superb! Great trouble shooting recommendation, TT! I don't think I'll buy the gold-plated ones , but would give a try to 25-27 quiddo titanium ones. Honestly, thank you so much!

P.S.: The look of these has brought back some memories of those neon lights that people used to tart their Subarus with.
Old 11 October 2016, 08:44 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you hear about the peacock that was terrorising the neighbourhood with its early morning noise?
That vanished and the conspiracy theories......
Old 11 October 2016, 09:13 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Are you sure you've been scrunching up the foam ones and pushing them far enough inside your ear? It's a myth that they can get permanently stuck in there, you know
Old 11 October 2016, 10:04 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Did you hear about the peacock that was terrorising the neighbourhood with its early morning noise?
That vanished and the conspiracy theories......

Bustamoves, my claim is evidence-based. This owl isn't a figment of my imagination, it does exist. In fact, I didn't know that it was an owl. To begin with, I thought it were some nocturnal little stray cats; lamenting outside to get my cats' attention. But after a few days, I focused on that weird sound as well as studied my own cats' reaction to those weird sounds. I concluded that it was definitely no cat, and my own cats didn't even flinch at that constant, utterly disturbing, high and low pitched, baby-like but Shakira style trembling sound. They would have, if the perpetrator was a cat or a few cats singing a chorus. I was determined to solve the mystery, so, I rang up my neighbour one evening after work, to ask if she knew who it is that makes this strange sound to break my sleep every bleddy night! She beat about the bush for a long time but eventually got her head around to the fact that she knew via other neighbours who knew that an owl has made the tree right opposite to my place its permanent residence. Not that I personally haven't ever seen some owls fluttering around my residence, of course I've seen many of them around here. but I didn't know that this out-of-tune musical one has started to live permanently opposite to me, now.

Originally Posted by markjmd
Are you sure you've been scrunching up the foam ones and pushing them far enough inside your ear? It's a myth that they can get permanently stuck in there, you know
Of course, I've tried my utmost by scrunching and pushing the foam ones deep inside my little ears, Mark. Fact is they're simply shyte. I reckon my neighbour had very cheap ones that she gave to me. I mean, she actually donated to me about 6 packs of foam ones and 2 packs of headphone style ones. They must have been dirt cheap. She's very kind, I know, but it doesn't change the poor quality of those ear plugs and headphone thingies. I don't know where she got them from. The headphones ones are too snug to my head, they seem to fit children's heads, so they could have belonged to her 7 YO granddaughter's; for false clay pigeon shooting game or something.

Last edited by Turbohot; 11 October 2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11 October 2016, 10:15 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I wasn't saying you were imagined it lol.
The peacock http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7343821.html
Old 11 October 2016, 10:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
I wasn't saying you were imagined it lol.
The peacock http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7343821.html
Oh, right! Sorry I thought you took me as some airy fairy conspiracy theorist, with my owl claim.

I'm very sorry to know about that Yorkshire peacock's demise. Peacock is the most beautiful and most endearing bird! I can imagine why the villagers are after the blood of its killer.
Old 12 October 2016, 12:06 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Bustamoves, my claim is evidence-based. This owl isn't a figment of my imagination, it does exist. In fact, I didn't know that it was an owl. To begin with, I thought it were some nocturnal little stray cats; lamenting outside to get my cats' attention. But after a few days, I focused on that weird sound as well as studied my own cats' reaction to those weird sounds. I concluded that it was definitely no cat, and my own cats didn't even flinch at that constant, utterly disturbing, high and low pitched, baby-like but Shakira style trembling sound. They would have, if the perpetrator was a cat or a few cats singing a chorus. I was determined to solve the mystery, so, I rang up my neighbour one evening after work, to ask if she knew who it is that makes this strange sound to break my sleep every bleddy night! She beat about the bush for a long time but eventually got her head around to the fact that she knew via other neighbours who knew that an owl has made the tree right opposite to my place its permanent residence. Not that I personally haven't ever seen some owls fluttering around my residence, of course I've seen many of them around here. but I didn't know that this out-of-tune musical one has started to live permanently opposite to me, now.

Of course, I've tried my utmost by scrunching and pushing the foam ones deep inside my little ears, Mark. Fact is they're simply shyte. I reckon my neighbour had very cheap ones that she gave to me. I mean, she actually donated to me about 6 packs of foam ones and 2 packs of headphone style ones. They must have been dirt cheap. She's very kind, I know, but it doesn't change the poor quality of those ear plugs and headphone thingies. I don't know where she got them from. The headphones ones are too snug to my head, they seem to fit children's heads, so they could have belonged to her 7 YO granddaughter's; for false clay pigeon shooting game or something.
Try 3m ones. they are the best IMO. I get mine from Amazon.

Old 12 October 2016, 12:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ear-defende...enders%20music

Just hope it rains coz then owls are too wet to whoo ......

(sorry)

Last edited by David Lock; 12 October 2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12 October 2016, 03:21 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Well you already have a cat.All you need is a pea-green boat and,voila, problem solved!
Old 12 October 2016, 10:56 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dblock
Try 3m ones. they are the best IMO. I get mine from Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vHP8K3BsrA
Enlightening vid. Amazing how right technique of rolling the ear plug would ensure right performance of this item. I was not doing it right. I was literally shoving them in my ears and then pushing them in with my might and main, or rolling them into a little ball, in order to fit my ears. Thank you.

Helpful link, David. The thing with these things is that they all look effective in the pics and boast about their performance, but the factual performance is best described by the users. That's why I asked the crowd here. I guess some people here might be working in noisy environments, where their H&S policy might highly recommend the use of such, so it's worth asking SN people's personal experience based feedback on such item.

The headphones sort are impractical to sleep with.

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Well you already have a cat.All you need is a pea-green boat and,voila, problem solved!
Absolute quality!

I'm not giving them my new plastic fiver to wrap their cash they elope with, though Mind you, the waterproof plastic fiver would prevent thei cash from getting all soggy, in case they drop it in water while sailing away. I may just act helpful for a change, and lend it to them. I'll have a think.
Old 12 October 2016, 11:36 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Female foxes screech sounds quite lot like this .. Not to mention errant moggies

Maybe make friends with the owl - throw him dead mouse ??
Old 12 October 2016, 11:46 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ear-defende...enders%20music

Just hope it rains coz then owls are too wet to whoo ......

(sorry)
What a hoot!
Old 12 October 2016, 11:50 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Female foxes screech sounds quite lot like this .. Not to mention errant moggies

Maybe make friends with the owl - throw him dead mouse ??
Well we do have vixens and foxes, living in the village centre compound. But my neighbour and I ruled it out. We think that the perpetrator in this case is that owl.

I'd like to strike a friendship with this owl or any owl. I saw a stout one in Thirsk, who looked quite like my B&W fat cute cat. I would have gladly brought it home. However, I still won't like any owl singing its horrid song in the middle of the night and keeping me awake.
Old 12 October 2016, 05:08 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

How have we managed to get this far without someone suggesting one of these?

The internet does disappoint me sometimes
Old 12 October 2016, 05:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

My other half uses wax earplugs,

Someone snores apparantly ?? i cant comment cos I've never heard them

you get them from superdrug or boots

I had a custom pair made for when i do clay's, but you can get a mould your own set

of the bay for about £15

Failing that, some Bose QC35's silence and audio whenever you want

Mart
Old 12 October 2016, 05:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
How have we managed to get this far without someone suggesting one of these?

The internet does disappoint me sometimes
Oye! Suggesting any cruelty towards the owls isn't allowed on this thread!

Originally Posted by mart360
My other half uses wax earplugs,

Someone snores apparantly ?? i cant comment cos I've never heard them

you get them from superdrug or boots

I had a custom pair made for when i do clay's, but you can get a mould your own set

of the bay for about £15

Failing that, some Bose QC35's silence and audio whenever you want

Mart
Oh, cool. I may check our local Boots.
Old 12 October 2016, 08:20 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Oye! Suggesting any cruelty towards the owls isn't allowed on this thread!
But it's not cruel, it's a 20mm anti tank rifle. The owl won't even know what hit it
Old 12 October 2016, 09:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

But it's not cruel, it's a 20mm anti tank rifle. The owl won't even know what hit it
I'm not so sure. But say if you did total the owl in your suggested way, then the next life, the owl will potentially take revenge on your reincarnated owl-self. It, as a reincarnated human, will do so by shooting you down with the same bleddy gun! Therefore, this idea is not a good one tbh.
Old 12 October 2016, 10:00 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I'm not so sure. But say if you did total the owl in your suggested way, then the next life, the owl will potentially take revenge on your reincarnated owl-self. It, as a reincarnated human, will do so by shooting you down with the same bleddy gun! Therefore, this idea is not a good one tbh.
I don't know why but the way my mind read that post ended up with an owl behind the barrel of a bloody great rifle, looked hysterical
Old 12 October 2016, 10:54 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried foam ones, they're rubbish because they slip out of my ears.
You must not be inserting them correctly. I have used them for years and once used correctly, they are fine.

Try rolling it between your fingers before inserting it
Old 12 October 2016, 11:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
You must not be inserting them correctly. I have used them for years and once used correctly, they are fine.

Yes, Dblock's video suggests this as well, BoozyDave. I'll try that tonight.
Old 12 October 2016, 11:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I don't know why but the way my mind read that post ended up with an owl behind the barrel of a bloody great rifle, looked hysterical
I think owl is very underestimated for such a majestic looking creature. I find their no-neck turning ability fascinating! In India, owl is labelled as an ultra creepy, super foolish creature, with a reputation of a baby kidnapper, whose voice it mimicks. I don't believe that the British owls are as dysfunctional and criminal-minded. Instead, they're taken as fairly sophisticated and clever birds. Singing wise, they're as crap as the Indian ones, though.
Old 13 October 2016, 12:33 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
Said the actress to the bishop!
Old 13 October 2016, 09:04 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I think owl is very underestimated for such a majestic looking creature. I find their no-neck turning ability fascinating! In India, owl is labelled as an ultra creepy, super foolish creature, with a reputation of a baby kidnapper, whose voice it mimicks. I don't believe that the British owls are as dysfunctional and criminal-minded. Instead, they're taken as fairly sophisticated and clever birds. Singing wise, they're as crap as the Indian ones, though.
Old 13 October 2016, 10:56 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Old 13 October 2016, 12:06 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Bet the internet hasn't been this awesome in a while
Old 13 October 2016, 12:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular