Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fires and fireplaces - replacement time

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2016, 11:49 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fires and fireplaces - replacement time

Looking to get rid of dated stone clad fireplace with a gas fire. It's not particularly nice to look at and takes ages to warm the room up 7.9m long x 3.6m wide x 3.3m high. The only good thing about it is that it's remote control once it's lit. Most of the heat goes up the chimney and it can be quite draughty when it's not been used. I've even had to put one of those boiler bladders (?) when the fires not in use to keep the draught out.

Picture of current one:-

The wife wants a log/multi stove burner although I can't see her wanting to get her hands dirty, lighting it, cleaning it, etc. I popped into a local place that does different fuel stoves, fires along with fancy fireplace surrounds, etc. I had a quick chat with one of the sales people who calmly wrote done some figures for £3.1k

I noticed they also do gas stoves as well. Has anyone got one and how efficient are they? Seems less aggro lighting, cleaning and more controllable in comparison. Have the wood and coal stoves had there day compared to the gas ones? Price wise they seem the same.

I've got a friend of a friend coming round tomorrow (HETA registered) to give me some options but I quite like the look of having a multi burner stove on legs inset into the fireplace keeping the walls flush and no hearth sticking outside - I think I'm getting suckered into this

The thought of £3.1k seems strong before even buying a few logs and we're not looking to move for at least the next 10 years or so ruling out making it look pretty or desirable for the next owners. I want function and she wants features.

I'm also getting three windows replaced and changing a patio door to French doors as the current ones must be nearing 20 years old or so and you can feel the cold when you're close to them.

Then it will need new flooring and redecorating ....
Old 21 September 2016, 12:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A few thoughts about log/multifuel burners.

1. They are dirty, they cause dust and marks.
2. On opening to add fuel, your room takes on the scent of whatever you are burning.
3. Don't bank on no hearth, adding fuel etc inevitably means some tiny bits fall out. No hearth= burnt carpet
4. Look VERY carefully at the woodburner etc you want. Mine was bought with little research, we assumed they are all much the same. They aren't.
5. Do you have a source for your logs/fuel? what is the cost? Does it include delivery?
6. Do you have a dry store for your fuel? Would you have to stack it? Go outside to fetch new fuel in?
7. What is your fuel? I know people who burn old pallets etc: poor choice, produces tar and little heat.
8. Does your existing chimney NEED a liner? They are very expensive to buy and have fitted. Take advice. From more than one place.
9. Does your existing chimney need sweeping before fitting the new stove?
10. What of firelighting? Have you a source of kindling? any way of producing any? Place to store it? Even decent firelighters won't start thick logs easily.

HTH.
Old 21 September 2016, 12:18 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Wow, thanks for that quick informative reply that raises some good points

I've got an old small pitched roof shed I can easily adapt to store logs. A local place will deliver a load of seasoned 8/9 inch ones for £120 a load. I can store them outside the door ( I see what your getting at as it'd bring the cold in with the fuel) as I don't fancy storing them inside for the mess they'll make, inc spiders and everything else that wants to live inside in winter. I didn't think of the fire lighting - something else that needs to go on the list...

As for the type or make or burner? I've no idea. The chimney is lined although I can see some the lining has come away at the top so no doubt it'd need a lining kit but unsure if it would if I had a gas stove burner. Probably though.

This is the type of thing that I quite like:-

http://firefireplacestove.com/catego...i-fuel-stoves/

The top one. Although I think they all have a hearth that sticks out. Then I'll need approx 30sqm of flooring to sort out - which it needs anway as this carpet was just temporary.
Old 21 September 2016, 02:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Quite a few of those in your link are Westfire, I have the smallest one and it's fantastic.
Old 21 September 2016, 02:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Nice bit of stone work - what's wrong with that?

I am a big fan of log burners. We had one fitted - about £600, although that was some time ago. Closed doors and extremely efficient leaving only small amount of ash which went on the garden. Churned out the heat. And I always kept some pine logs to burn at Christmas as the smell was so good.

Next house had a gas log fire. Looked twee but no good for heating up a large room and in the days when people smoked they just tipped their ash on the fire

So I think they are well worth the extra hassle.

Keep warm, David

Last edited by David Lock; 21 September 2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 21 September 2016, 03:58 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anything, log burners are becoming more popular. I'm forever reading topics about log burners and people looking to make the switch. There is literally nothing better than having a roaring burner on full chat on an evening winter weekend eating good food and your favourite drink . Your guests will also love you for it. They are not dirty and do not cause dust or smoke if used properly. Contrary to belief, they don't require much cleaning either. The only cleaning I've done with mine is empty out the ashes once every couple of months (ashes drop into a tray so not difficult) and clean the glass. They're definitely worth the investment IMO.

Here's mine. I went for the more modern clean lines approach with no surround. Mine's a Contura

Name:  1065CBBC-CFC4-42BA-91DF-02744EC20709_zpsfn2ew94n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  127.2 KB

Last edited by LSherratt; 21 September 2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 21 September 2016, 08:53 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Nice one Mr Sherratt, aiming for that sort of look when I get round to having a stove fitted - I love those peltier fans, clever idea to convect the heat.
Old 21 September 2016, 10:25 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Yep, the fan on top makes a big difference. A friend recommended I got one. A fan and stove thermometer are must-have items for any wood burner. You'll maximise the heat output.

The picture of it burning was before I purchased the fan.
Old 22 September 2016, 11:02 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I like the picture of that one above

I had the HETA guy over. He has suggested I won't be able to have one like the picture above. The only way to have a stove big enough to fit 8-12" logs would be to remove the existing hearth, brick up the existing hole and have the stove outside on a new hearth. As it'd need locating with the correct sizes all round and at the back, I think it'd protrude too much out the front even if I used one that has the flue coming out the back (?). Price wise we're looking at approx £3k

The other option - that the Mrs really liked was one of these hole in the wall gas jobbies with the graphite surround. It kind of makes sense for practicality and ease of use and cleanliness, but one of my concerns is how much will the price of gas rise. Like wise I suppose with logs/coal.

http://www.hotprice.co.uk/gazco-logic-he-steel-gas-fire
Old 22 September 2016, 12:39 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

If you can afford it, go for it. If you don't you'll be forever thinking that you'd wish you went for it.

If this is what you're referring too, then personally I really like this style. Having a burner out infront shouldn't be an issue unless your living room is tiny. This looks cool and modern. I like the exposed flue too plus more heat .

Name:  E9A17B9B-B60F-4C8D-8E31-324FA4A567A7_zpsdjsjhdsf.jpg
Size:  226.1 KB

Name:  C6A2FF4A-0E63-4C36-9708-F24F46583283_zpsacbtzwku.jpg
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  321399E8-A108-48E0-B1A3-4963129D9F56_zpsxmefmlsd.jpg
Size:  112.1 KB

Last edited by LSherratt; 22 September 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 22 September 2016, 02:47 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

All of what Alcazar said above...

And as LSharatt said, you'll regret not having done it if you had the opportunity.

I'm not sure whether the gas ‘hole in the wall’ will give you a high enough heat output though.

Like you, we had limited hearth back space in our dining room so we fitted an inset multi-fuel stove for around £2,300 all in:
- Saltfire Sturminster 8Kw inset stove £500
- Custom-made stone surround and hearth from a chap in Bath £900
- Chimney liner, connectors & fittings c£300
- Installation by builder £500
- Local council buildings inspector £80.

A good builder and the buildings inspector (before and after visits) worked out cheaper than a HETAS installer and still gave us full certification.

Old 22 September 2016, 03:57 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

This talk about log burners makes me want to fire mine up! As soon as it drops below 12C I think I'll go for it... Maybe October .
Old 22 September 2016, 04:44 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

to the OP

get it done

had one for 6 odd years now - 9kw Yeomans

fantastic
Old 22 September 2016, 07:10 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Some good advice on here. Thanks.

I've contacted a few builders to get some prices in. I much prefer the log burners and it has made me wonder that if the guy that came out today prefers just fitting gas fires instead of log fires. His charge is £800 for removal of existing fireplace and surrounding (left on site), any brickwork, plastering and install, connect and set up new gas fire. Plus an additional £80 for bird guard on the chimney. There's no VAT and he does not supply fires and only suggests where to get them from.

One place I visited this week quoted as follows but will not do a site visit unless I pay a deposit. They had a God like attitude :-

£500 for chamber alterations and any plastering
£650 for flue fitting kit
£550 installation
£600 approx for Huntingdon 5kw log burner
£299 hearth
Plus Vat.

I like the idea of the log burner. The wife likes the idea of an inset gas fire. My money, my choice me thinks
Old 23 September 2016, 10:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

When you say £120 for a load, what is a load?

In France, I pay €80 for around 2.5 steres, which is about 2.5 cu m of oak, cut to anywhere between 1m and 1.3m. I cut it to 460mm myself.

The seller usually throws in around 1/2 cu m of rough stuff, difficult to cut as it's not split easily, but it all burns eventually. I have a decent chainsaw and an electrical one too, plus a stand to hold logs while I cut them.

I also sweep up and store all sawdust and any small bits of wood from cutting, and often use it to make a bed for the fire before lighting. Pine cones make decent aids to lighting too. And look nice in the house
Old 23 September 2016, 10:32 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 47 NAT
One place I visited this week quoted as follows but will not do a site visit unless I pay a deposit. They had a God like attitude
Forget them. There are plenty more who will be grateful for the work. I had a similar issue with one prospective fitter who wanted to charge me £30 to screw a cap on a disused gas line! He didn't get the job.
In my experience, I would agree largely with Alcazar. They can be dusty, but not so much with wood. Coal makes much more dust, although we have found the heat fro coal is more intense and prolonged per charge.
I pay around £80 per cubic metre for a mix of hard and soft wood.
We have never regretted the expense of having our burner installed. Sure there are associated issues to overcome such as a source of fuel and somewhere to store it, etc. But when the fire's burning you forget all that.
Get it done.
Old 24 September 2016, 08:06 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Having mine fitted the end of next month , can't wait as iv alway wanted a log burner,, even from Very young I thought they were great ,, prob the pyro coming out in me lol
Old 25 September 2016, 12:13 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I couldn't resist. We fired ours up this evening! Blummin cosy.

Name:  464F4C50-3834-4BF5-80C8-B20A6D0225F8_zpsb2gxaqw6.jpg
Size:  155.5 KB
Old 25 September 2016, 08:35 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

So tempted last night, also want a fan but I want this one and might have to wait for Santa.

http://www.stirlingengine.co.uk/d.as...VULCANSTOVEFAN
Old 25 September 2016, 11:42 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Looks like Aldi are selling stove fans in today's Special Buys!

mb
Old 27 September 2016, 09:31 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I couldn't resist. We fired ours up this evening! Blummin cosy.

That looks great and ideally what I'd like

Really struggling to get people through the door to get some quotes. That includes builders as well. I'll keep pushing it as I want the room done soon.
Old 27 September 2016, 04:57 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
So tempted last night, also want a fan but I want this one and might have to wait for Santa.

http://www.stirlingengine.co.uk/d.as...VULCANSTOVEFAN
That's fantastic

Originally Posted by boomer
Looks like Aldi are selling stove fans in today's Special Buys!

mb
I wouldn't trust the quality of that... You get what you pay for.

Mine is this one;
£110 Ecofan 812 AirMax
http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/Ecof...0/ECOFAN812/BK
Old 30 September 2016, 02:02 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Had another local firm come round this morning. He has said I can have one fitted how I want and recommended this one. I should get his quote later on today or early next week. The stove is an FDC5. I can't find any prices on the net yet.

http://www.fdcuk.co.uk/fireplaces/fd...standing-stove

Originally Posted by alcazar
When you say £120 for a load, what is a load?
One of the places has the following on his website:-
NEW Triple Load | 4.5 cubic meters = £310
Kiln Dried Triple Load = £360
Double Load | 3 Cubic Metres is one box = £210
Kiln Dried Double Load = £260
Full Load | 1.5 Cubic Metres = £110
Kiln Dried Full Load = £140
Half Load | 1 Cubic Metre = £85
Kiln Dried Half Load = £100
Kindling Wood £5 = a sack

Will shop around a bit more once I know it's doable. The other option I've asked him to price up is for one of these - not solid fuel I know ...

http://www.hotprice.co.uk/flavel-jazz-gas-fire
Old 30 September 2016, 02:10 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Another question related to heating but not fires. I had someone round for a quote to change our old radiators. Why they weren't changed 5 years ago when a new combi boiler was installed, I'm unsure.

Anyway he's stated he can't change the 5 rads in one go - said that the system would need draining down and filling before/after each rad change
From memory it's a one pipe system and each rad is fitted with TRV's one end and shut off valves the other.

I'd of thought it'd be a case of shut the valves down, drain, replace the rad, fill, bleed, top up/fill with required amount of inhibitor?
Old 04 October 2016, 09:08 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Quick update. Apart from answering my own question above ....

Had a quote come through today.

To remove existing fire and surround, install the fdc5, flue, certificate, fireboard, make good, stone hearth, etc, etc £2k.

The other option on the quote is for a high efficiency hole in the wall gas fire. Remove existing fire/surround, chamber alterations, etc, install Flavel Rocco, (87% efficiency ) @ £1450
Old 05 October 2016, 11:29 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Never heard of FDCUK. Is it a good make then? £2k sounds a good price- I think you already know what you'll go for .
Old 05 October 2016, 06:17 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Never heard of FDCUK. Is it a good make then? £2k sounds a good price- I think you already know what you'll go for .

I've been given a start date and paid my deposit.

Last edited by 47 NAT; 01 November 2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12 November 2016, 12:22 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

The end result

Need to get some new flooring in and finish off decorating but it's in and the difference is great. It literally heats up most of the bungalow. It took a bit of time to suss out the settings as I was throwing in logs like there was no tomorrow.

I bought a temp gauge and a stove fan. I gave the fitters a few quid for fitting the wood beam. The beam is 6"x 6" and 4ft long.

I also knocked up two of these with the help of my lad:-

I've used up nearly of those logs since it was installed a week and half ago as I was too enthusiastic getting it flaming. The temp gauge has taught me to burn it at a lower temperature and the fan is brilliant at throwing out the heat as the room is 4m x 9m.

Absolutely love it. I'll give it a go at some stage with coal.
Old 12 November 2016, 12:27 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

A slightly better picture of the beam with our little Westie break dancing around the room.

Old 12 November 2016, 03:19 PM
Greenslade
Scooby Regular

The burner looks good.

A fellow Westie owner I see

Quick Reply: Fires and fireplaces - replacement time