Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Autograph authentication???

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2016, 10:30 PM
andy86
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autograph authentication???

Would anyone know the first steps in getting an autograph authenticated? And having the right/relevant paperwork at the end of it. I've travelled the Internet right through and some how have completely baffled myself, reading more about the fake and real dealers and not being able to tell the difference!! Also someone fairly local (ish) so I can go to in person, don't fancy posting anything from what I've read! Thanks guys.
Andy
Old 18 September 2016, 11:10 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Who's autograph is it?
Old 18 September 2016, 11:11 PM
andy86
Scooby Newbie

Michael schumacher on a 1997 f1 ferrari scuderia bbs race wheel
Old 18 September 2016, 11:23 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Wow that's very cool!
Maybe get in contact with Ferrari,send a detailed picture to Who ever you can get contact details for.
Be nice to see a pic of you don't mind posting one up?
Old 18 September 2016, 11:31 PM
andy86
Scooby Newbie

I'm guessing I phone a dealership by the sounds of it, maybe they can give it some direction. I did try a few antique dealers but after many promises, none have delivered! I don't mind posting a picture, it's just how? May need to give me a minute 🤔
The only picture i have of it on my phone but you get the jist of it.

Last edited by andy86; 18 September 2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 19 September 2016, 12:07 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Defiantly looks like the real deal from the pic,certainly is a wheel Ferrari used on their 1997 F1 car.
Ferrari dealer may be able to point you in the right direction or an email to the Ferrari F1 media department and one to SkySports F1?
I would also think one of the top auction houses might point you in the right direction.

If it is authentic then I'm sure it will be worth a fair amount.
Good luck with the search
Old 19 September 2016, 07:44 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

When I was working in F1 all the top teams had a specific dept that dealt with team gear, merchandise, fakes etc, if this was a Ferrari itself promotion it will have records of it to back it up.
Old 19 September 2016, 10:01 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
When I was working in F1 all the top teams had a specific dept that dealt with team gear, merchandise, fakes etc, if this was a Ferrari itself promotion it will have records of it to back it up.
Pretty much this. The Ferrari e-store is probably a reasonable starting point.

http://store.ferrari.com/us_en/contacts/
Old 19 September 2016, 11:16 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It will be great if it comes out to be original. I don't look at these things with the eye, calculating how much it will be worth; in terms of money. I think it is invaluable, to be fair. Schumacher is a legend. Just read that he's still unable to walk > http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/formu...Q&ocid=UE07DHP.. which so very sad for a very nice guy (I hear) who achieved so much in his life! His signature is worth even more for his bravery in such circumstances. Hope he continues to recover and gets back on his feet one day.
Old 19 September 2016, 11:29 AM
andy86
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the help and comments guys. It's shed some new direction on it. It has been proven original a few years ago, the serial/part number has proven the car it came from. Just the papers for the autograph have gone walkies. I have had it valued by a few independent people but until I get the papers together it's just an f1 wheel.
Old 19 September 2016, 12:57 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I seen a thing about this on a tv show called "posh pawn" - where the means they used to authenticate the signature was by taking it to a dealer who had handled and recorded so many items of autographed memorabelia, that he had a lot to compare the unauthenticated item against. Transpired to be a fake in this case, think it was a guitar signed by the rolling stones or something like that.

I think they would be quite guarded about giving you sight of the signature, to prevent duplication, but may be able to confirm from a good photo if it is the real deal.

Really nice item just the same.
Old 19 September 2016, 01:32 PM
andy86
Scooby Newbie

I've heard of that program but never seen it. From what I can understand it happens a lot with autographs and I know it's a fine line. That's why I want to take it to someone proper and have it done properly. It used to belong to a friend of mine who bought it from a sports memorabilia auction, and had all the paperwork with it at the time (15 years ago ish). He never told anyone how much he paid for it, not even his wife! He passed away a few years ago now and I was given it as a thank you for sorting bits out. Over time the paperwork just vanished so having to go through the whole process again.
Old 19 September 2016, 01:57 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

That's a great piece of memorabilia. Do you reckon it will go up in value over time?
Old 22 September 2016, 05:59 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mind sharing what it's worth just as a wheel?