Swimming

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2016, 08:10 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Swimming

I can't remember a year with this many fatalities on uk beach
Can't all be rip tides and people playing devil with waves ?!

Always check with locals, first , on potential currents !

5 just yesterday Camber
Old 25 August 2016, 10:16 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Something odd about this. Fully dressed! Suspicion is illegal immigrants drowned and washed up?

If it turns out to be the case, Farage was correct in his prediction about it
Old 25 August 2016, 10:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Somebody must have seen these people take to the water if they were just bathing

But that would make sense. Dumped few hundred yards off crowded beach . Perfect cover

Last edited by dpb; 25 August 2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 25 August 2016, 11:21 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they turn out to be illegal immigrants, they must be so desperate to leave their country that they were prepared to take such risk of fighting with the tides and die, if it came to that. How awful!

If they were locals; just enjoying the weather and messing about in the sea, very, very sad.

May your souls rest in peace, the departed humans in such tragic circumstance.

May your soul rest in peace, the departed ones in the natural earthquake disaster in the other parts of this world yesterday.
Old 25 August 2016, 11:53 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cops are speculating that it was a group of lads from London. Pissed perhaps or high and just got it wrong. Hard lesson to learn.

I have been to Camber a couple of times, cracking beach. Kids loved it.

dl
Old 25 August 2016, 01:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Nige was unavailable for comment - too busy promoting himself across the pond
Old 25 August 2016, 02:01 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Cops are speculating that it was a group of lads from London. Pissed perhaps or high and just got it wrong. Hard lesson to learn.

I have been to Camber a couple of times, cracking beach. Kids loved it.

dl
So silly when people think that getting too p1$$ed and/or high is fun. You're so vulnerable in such state. How can anyone call a legless night a good night when the fact is that you don't remember much of it?? Really twisted choice of fun. Deliberately self-harming to f@@k! I'd understand such consumption in the people who have trauma history. But the recreational ones simply have a very warped perception of fun.

Again, very sad for them and their families.

The lesson is hard, but I think it's awfully hard for the people to learn something or anything from it. They may stop getting too p1$$ed or too high by the sea but they would continue that in the middle of some town or a busy city, and get involved in some accident there. People just don't learn.
Old 25 August 2016, 02:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

apparently in terms of "totals" (deaths in the beach/sea) this summer/year has not been extraordinary

although this "cluster" of deaths in a week is unusual

was out on the sea last Saturday - Sunny Hunny

hooning about on a 4.7

Old 25 August 2016, 02:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

That was too big down here and too onshore , and then Sunday when it went westerly it dropped to unusable and small choppy mush..
Old 25 August 2016, 02:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

It not easy to swim in your clothes, especially if you can hardly swim to start with, I suppose add a rip tide and some hootch - presumably that done it

Still surprised though ,
Old 25 August 2016, 02:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Ive just checked this news on Internet.

http://news.sky.com/story/first-camb...-ravi-10551088

3 out of 5 deceased seem to be either Indian or Sri Lankan origin. OTT Alcohol/drug intake isn't that prevalent in these cultures. So, I wonder what went on, there. I think we'll know in a few days.

Edited to say: after learning about the deceased people's (3/5) origins, I can also see why they were suspected to be illegal immigrants, initially.

Last edited by Turbohot; 25 August 2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 25 August 2016, 03:24 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
That was too big down here and too onshore , and then Sunday when it went westerly it dropped to unusable and small choppy mush..
this sunday looks ON too

big air!!
Old 25 August 2016, 03:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

How difficult could it be ( and why hasn't it already been attempted ) to slip something in that hopkins women's tea ?
Old 25 August 2016, 03:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Check out next weekend

Busy weekend for rescuing lilo surfers this weekend I should think !
Old 25 August 2016, 03:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Will there be post mortem ?

Nobodies drowned like that on that beach for ten years, apart from Brazilian bloke
Old 25 August 2016, 03:53 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

i have sailed at Camber - and the low tide creates islands some distance from the shore - with lakes in between

(actually same at Hunstanton)

when the tide comes in, and it comes in fast, you can find yourself cut off - and will have to swim across a channel to the next bit of sand

if you can't swim - or are not a strong swimmer, then you are in serious trouble
Old 25 August 2016, 03:54 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
If they turn out to be illegal immigrants, they must be so desperate to leave their country that they were prepared to take such risk of fighting with the tides and die, if it came to that. How awful!
You realise that those "illegal" (your words, not mine) immigrants have already gone through X amount of safe European countries already to get to the channel don't you? No sympathy from me on that one whatsoever. Why did they not stop in Italy, or Germany, or France, or Spain or wherever else in Europe they could have easily got to without taking such a risk? Ponder on that one for a moment.
Old 25 August 2016, 03:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
You realise that those "illegal" (your words, not mine) immigrants have already gone through X amount of safe European countries already to get to the channel don't you? No sympathy from me on that one whatsoever. Why did they not stop in Italy, or Germany, or France, or Spain or wherever else in Europe they could have easily got to without taking such a risk? Ponder on that one for a moment.
That has been discussed many a times, here.

I'm sure you'd do the same if you were in their shoes or the situation was other way round.

In addition, you're entitled to your psychopathy.
Old 25 August 2016, 04:40 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

That has been discussed many a times, here.

I'm sure you'd do the same if you were in their shoes or the situation was other way round.

In addition, you're entitled to your psychopathy.
You're right, I would do the same. I would leave my country for a safe country......the first safe country I got to. Why would I jeopardise my life to swim across the channel to England when I've already got to a safe country and passed through X amount more safe countries?

You're ignorance is borderline bewildering. Next you're going to tell me that youre a leftie aren't you?
Old 25 August 2016, 04:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
You're right, I would do the same. I would leave my country for a safe country......the first safe country I got to. Why would I jeopardise my life to swim across the channel to England when I've already got to a safe country and passed through X amount more safe countries?
Ok, if that's how you'd play. Free country, big deal. Most people with full stomach and minimum sociocultural-naturopolitical fear would think similar.

You're ignorance is borderline bewildering. Next you're going to tell me that yours a leftie aren't you?
I feel like asking why I'm ignorant in your eyes, and whether it's to do with me having a different stance to yours. I won't ask because that would mean engaging into an argument with you, which I don't come here for. I'm leaving you alone with your psychopathy, so please leave me alone with my ignorance (your word, not mine).

I don't want to tell 'you' anything. I didn't make my post with my views on the illegal immigrants' plight on this thread, with the expectation of starting off this b1tchfight with your aggressive self. Stop moidering me, now.
Old 25 August 2016, 05:12 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Ok, if that's how you'd play. Free country, big deal. Most people with full stomach and minimum sociocultural-naturopolitical fear would think similar.

I feel like asking why I'm ignorant in your eyes, and whether it's to do with me having a different stance to yours. I won't ask because that would mean engaging into an argument with you, which I don't come here for. I'm leaving you alone with your psychopathy, so please leave me alone with my ignorance (your word, not mine).

I don't want to tell 'you' anything. I didn't make my post with my views on the illegal immigrants' plight on this thread, with the expectation of starting off this b1tchfight with your aggressive self. Stop moidering me, now.
So anyone who disagrees with your point of view is a lunatic then? Well that's that one sorted . Enjoy!
Old 25 August 2016, 05:20 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Its simple really, respect the sea for what it is. A very dangerous place to be. It takes no prisoners and has no mercy.

Treat the sea with respect and you'll be fine.
Old 25 August 2016, 05:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
i have sailed at Camber - and the low tide creates islands some distance from the shore - with lakes in between

when the tide comes in, and it comes in fast, you can find yourself cut off - and will have to swim across a channel to the next bit of sand

if you can't swim - or are not a strong swimmer, then you are in serious trouble
This^^^ Same at Cleethorpes. I remember a whole riding school washed away one year. Tragic.
Old 25 August 2016, 05:56 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

Absolutely right. It must be 25 years since I was there with the kids but now I remember the pools which were so much fun especially as they warmed quickly if the sun was out. Bur parents had to be on their toes as an incoming tide could mean a hazardous trip back up the beach to the blanket on the ground as Billy Jo said

I would still not rule out a late night immigrant drop off which went **** up. Very sad.

dl
Old 25 August 2016, 06:04 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Beeb now say 5 men on day trip from London. dl
Old 25 August 2016, 08:20 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Just back from a few days at Center Parcs Longleat, know your limits !
Old 25 August 2016, 10:31 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many 'safe' countries did they pass through before they died?

If they are in fear of their lives, claim assylum in the first safe country they come to, then their lives are safe

Don't keep going to get to England and end up paying with their life
Old 26 August 2016, 03:15 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just seen in the news that they are blaming the lack of life guards at beaches. It's always someone else's fault or the state that has somehow caused these tragedies. Individuals need to take responsibility for their actions. If people do not realise the risks they take by entering the sea by now, as a species, we are doomed.
Old 26 August 2016, 09:02 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

So,five lovely lads of Sri Lankan origin having a nice day out. Goes a bit wrong and those in trouble and their friends try to save them and they all die.

So sad,and a really good reason why the internet and keyboard assumpionists should re think their small and overactive minds

Sorry,but it is a very sad story

Last edited by lozgti1; 26 August 2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 26 August 2016, 09:14 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

No bloody immigrants ,IS,Mosques,muslims,wars or whatever.Just 5 lads havining a nice day out.

One day,race,religion,creed and colour will stop the nonsense that continually is spouted or inferred.We are all just the same with the odd crazy person thrown in..How about a short thought for those boys? Just a thought.Grrrr .So upset about this scenario

Quick Reply: Swimming