Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How large does a single garage footprint have to be ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2016, 06:11 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How large does a single garage footprint have to be ?

We are looking at moving home. The desired bungalow does not have a garage but does have some space between a gable end and the very low boundary wall. As far as I can tell the wall belongs to the bungalow and is not attached to any other wall or property. If we were to use this space for a single garage and use the gable end as one wall then how big would a concrete base need to be to fit a single garage on it ? I am thinking of a purpose built garage not a prefab type.
We need to have an idea of size so we can see if it is feasible. The garage wall parallel to the gable end would then be the boundary line, this would be along the length of the garage.
Cheers and thanks.
Brian.
Old 03 June 2016, 06:45 PM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That question could have any number of answers...

To give you a simple answer - I just measured my single garage (that is also built onto a gable wall) and the floor width is 8 feet. Add another foot (as the outside wall is double skinned) and that gives a slab width of 9 feet.

If you are planning on working on the car, it would be possible, but a bit tight.

HTH Pete
Old 03 June 2016, 06:51 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Put it this way standard UK car park spaces are 2.4m x 4.8m you will need a bit more to open the door safely without banging it on the wall, you may want to go for 3m x 5m + the wall thickness which being a garage would be half brick thick, it would then also depend if you want to insulate or build it as a traditional cavity wall which would then add extra footprint size.
Old 03 June 2016, 06:55 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Many thanks, the figures mentioned give me something to work on and think about options.
Cheers
Brian.
Old 03 June 2016, 07:12 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl
Many thanks, the figures mentioned give me something to work on and think about options.
Cheers
Brian.
Open both doors of your car and measure the furthest points. I thought garage would be great when i moved in but i have to go tight to the wall on the Passenger side to get out.