Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Weird song of this day and age

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2016, 11:03 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird song of this day and age

I had this radio station on this late afternoon which played the top 40 pop songs of today. One of the songs went like.... "Once when I was seven years old, my mama told me to make some friends or I'd be lonely". That's ok because many Asperger's may relate to the singer/songwriter, but my issue was when he sings something like...."Once when I was eleven years old, my daddy told me to get a wife or I'd be lonely". WTF, man! Which father tells their child to find a wife at eleven, eh??? What's all that about??
Old 17 April 2016, 11:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Dunno; When I was that age my Dad was too busy drinking and sh@gging random women Classy role model.

I did have my neighbour tell me to "choose my friends wisely" when I was 17 after a incident involving a ornamental shrub. That statement stuck with me; I'm still not sure if its entirely possible to "choose" friends (ignoring the pseudo friends you get social media -Facebook etc).

Anyhow, what's this got to do with aspergers?

Talking about weird a songs...there's ones on a advert for something - I forget what it's for (bank loan?) with the lyrics sung is a screechy male voice "I'll keep you safe, try hard to concentrate, hold out your hand, and I'll keep it safe"

Keep what safe? Your hand? And why do you need to concentrate? Sing lyrics that make sense man!!
Old 18 April 2016, 03:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I had this radio station on this late afternoon which played the top 40 pop songs of today. One of the songs went like.... "Once when I was seven years old, my mama told me to make some friends or I'd be lonely". That's ok because many Asperger's may relate to the singer/songwriter, but my issue was when he sings something like...."Once when I was eleven years old, my daddy told me to get a wife or I'd be lonely". WTF, man! Which father tells their child to find a wife at eleven, eh??? What's all that about??
The Taliban ?
Old 18 April 2016, 09:04 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
The Taliban ?
No, I wasn't listening to Taliban radio.

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Dunno; When I was that age my Dad was too busy drinking and sh@gging random women Classy role model.
Oh. Shaggy's 'It wasn't me' must have been the song to match him, then.

I did have my neighbour tell me to "choose my friends wisely" when I was 17 after a incident involving a ornamental shrub. That statement stuck with me; I'm still not sure if its entirely possible to "choose" friends (ignoring the pseudo friends you get social media -Facebook etc).
Sure, Internet friendships are all bull$h1t, unless they're your real life mates as well. You may meet them in a meet but won't hear from them for next seven years! You can't even tell personal things to Internet people because they'd just broadcast it on Internet peeps and strip you naked in front of them. 'Choose friends wisely' is a goodun but it's suitable for the ones who don't already do that. Why would you wanna be friends with someone who's not nice or giving artificial signs of being nice to you, anyway? Also, with humans, it's all about trying and testing. Some win, some lose. Can't be too paranoid of making new friends. Most friends are just good timers. Only one or two will stick with you through your thick n' thin.

Anyhow, what's this got to do with aspergers?
Many Aspies are loners because they find it difficult to make friends. They seem to like their own company. Parents get worried about their young Aspie children and try their best to make them more sociable.

Talking about weird a songs...there's ones on a advert for something - I forget what it's for (bank loan?) with the lyrics sung is a screechy male voice "I'll keep you safe, try hard to concentrate, hold out your hand, and I'll keep it safe"

Keep what safe? Your hand? And why do you need to concentrate? Sing lyrics that make sense man!!
i think the underlying meaning could be that he'd go out with her if she were loaded. Then he'd keep her safe and he'd keep her 'money safe' safe as well. As if! You know what it's like, these days.
Old 18 April 2016, 09:51 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

To OP...the song is called 7 years by Lukas Graham.....a talented band. I like the song. Not your usual rap or rap/dance mix.
Old 18 April 2016, 10:24 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The singer is from a gypsie community so I suppose that the way they think as they get married at 16 so you would need to find a girl earlier if you marry at young ages.
Old 18 April 2016, 12:07 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
To OP...the song is called 7 years by Lukas Graham.....a talented band. I like the song. Not your usual rap or rap/dance mix.
Sure, a good band and a good singer but the lyrics are still weird.

I quite like Mike Posner's Ibiza song. Very enthralling melody. Lyrics aren't too bad either if you take them a tad seriously. He is telling other children not to do drugs like him, I think. I don' know why he tells them not to take a bus like him, though.

Originally Posted by stevebt
The singer is from a gypsie community so I suppose that the way they think as they get married at 16 so you would need to find a girl earlier if you marry at young ages.
Oh. Now this explains, but in the song he says that his daddy actually told him to 'go, get a wife' when he's merely eleven. They may get married at 16, but 11 is too young imo.

Bieber boy is behaving himself in his 'love yourself' song for the girl he dumps. I think he originally meant to say 'go f**k yourself' to her but he dignified the lyrics for the audience.
Old 18 April 2016, 12:12 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

This is genuinely one of the few songs that will make me change radio stations. Really can't stand it.
Old 18 April 2016, 12:19 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
This is genuinely one of the few songs that will make me change radio stations. Really can't stand it.
Well I think it sounds sonorous in moderation, but it's one of the songs that if played every so often like it's being played on the radio these days, it starts to sound like perpetual moaning; as if Alkazar is singing it. That's the problem.
Old 18 April 2016, 01:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I think yo need special dedication to listen the top the flops , if youre over 35
Old 18 April 2016, 03:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I think yo need special dedication to listen the top the flops , if youre over 35
And you have to be a right old saddo for categorising the new pop music as under 35's thing, regardless of some lyrics being weird. Music is ageless. My 78 yo mother in law loves The Vamps! Besides, even our time's musicians didn't half write some garbage on the name of music. The writers of such songs weren't exactly Mr. Wordsworths or Mr. William Blakes, but they self-proclaimed the poetic licence to write some inane mumbo jumbo. Some songs of our time only became big chart hits due to the melody of them, and often the backing instruments also masked some severely shoddy, ever-repeated lyrics.

Come on. Tune up the radio and enjoy current pop music scene, Duncan! It's quite good atm. It will liven your rusted self up, my friend.
Old 18 April 2016, 03:52 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Repetitive song that gets stuck in your head, almost as bad as Rihanna ranting on about work work work....
Old 18 April 2016, 03:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I listen to station that has divergent themes , including the latest

no way could i listen to any dedicated station - havnt managed that since mid twenties , at a guess
Old 18 April 2016, 04:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

unbelievably irritating song

I actually turned the car radio off last week when this came on

the fact that the radio was on a music channel is my kids fiddling with it

I find music radio channel so inane and banal after two mins I feel like chewing my own face off

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 18 April 2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 18 April 2016, 04:22 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

The piano hook sounds a bit like Jacko's Earth Song.
Old 18 April 2016, 05:49 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

On the music, dull as dishwater ToTP fodder. On the lyrics, his dad may have told him at age 11 that it would be a good idea to get married one day, but he may not have meant for him to start making plans for it right there and then
Old 18 April 2016, 06:58 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
...On the lyrics, his dad may have told him at age 11 that it would be a good idea to get married one day, but he may not have meant for him to start making plans for it right there and then

Beat me to it!

Last edited by joz8968; 18 April 2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 18 April 2016, 07:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
On the music, dull as dishwater ToTP fodder. On the lyrics, his dad may have told him at age 11 that it would be a good idea to get married one day, but he may not have meant for him to start making plans for it right there and then

Originally Posted by joz8968

Beat me to it!
No, he didn't beat anyone.

Mark, I thought that myself. But this is not the way it's worded. I've even just been to azlyrics.com to C&P the evidence and look:

Once I was eleven years old, my daddy told me,
"Go get yourself a wife or you'll be lonely."
Once I was eleven years old....

When someone tells someone "Go, get yourself this or that", it would interpret as "Go NOW and get yourself a wife or you'll be lonely". The songwriter should have inserted something futuristic e.g. "One day..." etc.
Old 18 April 2016, 07:20 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

But it still doesn't NECESSARILY mean that though.

I'm with Mark on this.

Think about it - what's the more likely intention behind that lyric, out of the two schools of thought...

Last edited by joz8968; 18 April 2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 18 April 2016, 07:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I listen to station that has divergent themes , including the latest

no way could i listen to any dedicated station - havnt managed that since mid twenties , at a guess

I'm not exactly an addict to these dedicated radio stations, you know. But lately, when I've changed it from my compulsive R4 to the Radio City station, I can't deny that I've found current pop not that fekking immature and out of tune. Some songs are worth the easy listening.
Old 18 April 2016, 07:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

But it still doesn't NECESSARILY mean that though.

I'm with Mark on this.

Think about it - what's the more likely intention behind that lyric, out of the schools of thought...

Indeed. We weren't exactly born yesterday to think that the boy will deffo get off his butt and get a wife at his age! Even older one struggle, so what chance has an eleven yo got?? The point is how fleetingly the song writer has written it; in order to fit it into the song. I also know that he can do that as a song writer/artist.

Last edited by Turbohot; 18 April 2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: iPad fekked up my spellings!
Old 18 April 2016, 07:32 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

...i Also know that he can do that as an song writer/artist.
Exactly. Prob. a cynical, commercial ploy, to get people talking....... Oh wait.

Old 18 April 2016, 07:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Exactly. Prob. a cynical, commercial ploy, to get people talking....... Oh wait.

It's fun talking. From kettle to Cameron, from last drink to Nurburgring- we talk all sorts here.
Old 18 April 2016, 07:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

chat s**t get banged

c/o Jamie Vardy, 2016

Last edited by joz8968; 18 April 2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 18 April 2016, 07:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

chat s**t get banged

c/o Jamie Vardy, 2016

Yes, I recognise that some people possess such thought here and they act like the thread killers without getting in touch with the thread's humorous spirit. Ironically, in the same way as one not understanding that the Lukas bloke is singing those lines in future! Such thread destroyers should get a life, even when they can't potentially get themselves a wife!

Last edited by Turbohot; 18 April 2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 19 April 2016, 12:17 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
listen to station that has divergent themes , including the latest

Forgot to ask, which radio station is that, then? Zimbabwe Rock FM?
Old 19 April 2016, 01:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Listen to FIP over internet mainly , its in French obviously , so don't even need to pay attention to the waffling for the most part
Old 19 April 2016, 03:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Listen to FIP over internet mainly , its in French obviously , so don't even need to pay attention to the waffling for the most part
Superb. If you don't understand lyrics lingo anyway, you'll have no reason to moan about them, I understand.

Anyhow, I'd like to share this BREAKING NEWS with all n' sundry that today, it's been decided that Coke Zero will soon be re-named as Coke Zero Sugar because many people don't understand that Coke Zero means 'no added sugar'. Moral is that words do matter. Not everyone is into guessing the abstract.
Old 19 April 2016, 03:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I've just re-heard that Mike Posner's remix on the charts. When I stopped dancing, I pondered over that 'you don't want to take bus like me' enigma. Since he also talks about stepping down some roller coaster and finding himself all alone, I put two-n-two together and worked it out. What he means is that you shouldn't take a bus to crazy places or you'd find yourself on your todd; like he did. I'm quite pleased with my newly developed deeper understanding of what he may have meant. Really funky remix, that!
Old 30 April 2016, 10:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Got to hear that 7 Years song's remix today on the radio. Not sure why someone bothered to remix it, as it sounds even worse! Drake's 'A One Dance', on the other hand, is cool! I also notice that Sean Paul is back with his dis-dat-da-do-yo-dim-dum singing. He was lamenting on some hot beats with his usual 'da girl-da-diamond-da gold' etc.