Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default And thats one reason why i don't shop at ALDI

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrin...id=mailsignout
Old 30 March 2016, 02:31 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you actually read the article? Its the producer that is at fault not the distributor.

...........and in other news, Aldi are not the only distributor.
Old 30 March 2016, 02:32 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hardcoreimpreza
I think you'll find most of the supermarkets have had similar issues over the years, Aldi is nothing unusual.

The main reason I don't shop there is lack of choice, poor veg, poor stock since it became popular, and being unable to pay with a credit card.

Some of their stuff is excellent, some of it really isn't, but I gave up trying to find out what is and isn't, so went back to more expensive, but less frustrating and ultimately easier shopping experience at 'normal' supermarkets.
Old 30 March 2016, 02:45 PM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Yes i understand this, but cheap unknown brands i don't trust. The company who makes the food is in South africa, although they have a unit other here, but doesn't say where there made.

You normally find its cheap brands that have these problems.

Originally Posted by jayallen
Did you actually read the article? Its the producer that is at fault not the distributor.

Old 30 March 2016, 04:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

perhaps the 2p a pair of jeans a Bangladeshi worker makes for the £5:99 you pay would be more appropriate
Old 30 March 2016, 04:17 PM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
perhaps the 2p a pair of jeans a Bangladeshi worker makes for the £5:99 you pay would be more appropriate
Old 30 March 2016, 04:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I don't know what or how S.A. v any other country has to do with anything ?!

Last edited by dpb; 30 March 2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 30 March 2016, 04:36 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I work for aldis as a driver a lot of the stuff is rebranded main suppliers that you find anywhere else i get a laugh when folk say they wont eat cheap copies when its made in the same factory as the branded stuff lol
Old 30 March 2016, 05:15 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Yes i understand this, but cheap unknown brands i don't trust. The company who makes the food is in South africa, although they have a unit other here, but doesn't say where there made.

You normally find its cheap brands that have these problems.
But no doubt you'd happily eat a horse burger from Tesco just because it costs more than Aldi's burgers....
Old 30 March 2016, 09:15 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by **jay**
I work for aldis as a driver a lot of the stuff is rebranded main suppliers that you find anywhere else i get a laugh when folk say they wont eat cheap copies when its made in the same factory as the branded stuff lol
I'm sure that is true in plenty of cases, but some of the stuff they sell really isn't good at all, not even worth the cheaper price you pay.
Old 30 March 2016, 09:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

have to say iv not really sampled any bad stuff at lidl , can aldi be much different ?
Old 30 March 2016, 09:25 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

my wife has just come back from Aldi.... spent £62 on a main shop sounds good to me.

How much would that have been at Waitrose?

We're happy with Aldi stuff, she does go to Tesco every so often when we need the stuff Aldi don't sell.. like milkshake powder for the kids lol
Old 30 March 2016, 11:22 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Aldi and Lidl are shaking up UK retailing. They have a formula that the 'big 4' cannot compete with.
Old 30 March 2016, 11:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you click the link? I don't see the 'real' biscuits being recalled.
Old 31 March 2016, 12:22 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Did you click the link? I don't see the 'real' biscuits being recalled.
If you read what i posted it was that "some" brands are made in the same factory as it boils down to snobbery with brands that folk buy bit like apple products eh Jack was just commenting on what someone said that they dont like the cheap brands that taste different.
Old 31 March 2016, 08:24 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If you read what i posted it was that "some" brands are made in the same factory as it boils down to snobbery with brands that folk buy bit like apple products eh Jack was just commenting on what someone said that they dont like the cheap brands that taste different.
Can you provide proof that the products are the same? You could become internet famous if you could as nobody has yet.

As for Apple products, yes, they're like the real biscuits, reassuringly expensive and not full of ****.
Old 31 March 2016, 08:41 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

But no doubt you'd happily eat a horse burger from Tesco just because it costs more than Aldi's burgers....
Tesco were also the distributor not the producer same as you first comment

Birdseye were also affected by the same issue
Old 31 March 2016, 08:49 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Can you provide proof that the products are the same? You could become internet famous if you could as nobody has yet.

As for Apple products, yes, they're like the real biscuits, reassuringly expensive and not full of ****.
The only thing full of **** about here Jack is you pmsl.
Old 31 March 2016, 09:03 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow
Tesco were also the distributor not the producer same as you first comment

Birdseye were also affected by the same issue
Which was my point....
Old 31 March 2016, 09:26 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The only thing full of **** about here Jack is you pmsl.
I'll take that as you have no proof, thanks for your time. Now get back to delivering low grade products.
Old 31 March 2016, 12:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I shop at Aldi and will continue to do so, without any hesitation. Every supermarket has come under fire with such irregularities at some point, nothing new there. I'm least concerned because I don't buy any of those recalled products.

Aldi's blueberries are delicious! Massive and really sweet in taste. I highly recommend them.
Old 31 March 2016, 06:23 PM
guinnessman2001
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just polished off an Aldi Lamb Rogan Josh whilst reading this thread. It was absolutely delicious.

I regularly shop at Aldi and think their dairy and meat products are much better value than anything comparable from the big four.
Old 01 April 2016, 06:00 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

We shop at Aldi several times a week and only go elsewhere for things they don't sell. There's very little of theirs we've tried that we haven't liked.

I've been using them since the 1990s when they had a fairly limited range and the checkout staff knew every price. I believe their current success is fully justified. The 'Big Four' were happy to screw us for years and are reaping the reward. The recession really signalled the change in the public perception of Aldi.

The only thing I've had from them recently that was faulty was a set of spade bits (wood boring tools), some of which had been made with the points slightly offset, resulting in the holes they produced being oversize. But for the price, I kept the concentric ones and binned the rest.

As for the vegetables, well...

...they shop at Tesco! (Sorry, couldn't resist).
Old 01 April 2016, 01:00 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

The meat is hit and miss. The steaks are superb, but, for example, the bacon, I wouldn't give it to my cat.

The veg is generally pretty poor, the fruit is comparable with other places.

The chocolate and biscuits (recalls notwithstanding ) are excellent.

Breakfast cereals, cardboard is being kind for a lot of them. Some are ok, but not worth the effort to try, them all to find out, IMO.

Booze is very good too.

We also have a Lidl, but not really shopped in there.

In the end, went back to Tesco as Aldi was cheaper, but overall, not as good, and we we use Tesco credit card to pay, we get double points, and we have had so much out of those over the years.
Old 04 April 2016, 06:43 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy anything to eat at Aldi but some of their wines have had good reviews recently so I tried them and they were pretty good and, essentially, less expensive than the Waitrose equivalent.
Old 04 April 2016, 07:03 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

And let's face where else can you get a work bench, a set of imperial spanners, a floor standing telescope and some current buns - all in the same aisle
Old 04 April 2016, 08:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
And let's face where else can you get a work bench, a set of imperial spanners, a floor standing telescope and some current buns - all in the same aisle
Definitely. Aldi believes in equality of its goods. By equality, I mean in status, not cost. If you want cost equality, Poundland is your daddy. The other Sunday, I saw a new pair of white Crocs type tacky plastic shoes (£5.99 worth) sticking its ugly mug out of the loose sweet potatoes tray. It proves that Aldi also believes in integration of its goods.

But, not everything in Aldi is great, tbh. Have you ever smelt Aldi's chavtastic perfumes? They are so revolting that even my cats would run away from me if I had any of them sprayed on me! Their skin care products for women are good, though. Basically, Aldi's jumble sale is way better than LIDL that sells roasted nuts via open sacks to every Tom, D4ck or even Harry. I went to LIDL the other day, just to check it out, and those open roasted nuts sacks made me think: 1. All these exposed roasted cashews and almonds will go soggy with the atmospheric moisture, and 2. Who knows who has put their hand in after having been to wherever he/she has been, yuk!

Whoever said that Aldi's bacon is substandard should try their Dutch bacon. That's if you like your bacon thin and crispy. I never liked their bacon before but since they've started to stock and sell this very thin Dutch bacon, I'm a fan. Also, try their thin and crispy gourmet crackers with either sea salt or black pepper. 89p for 185 gr. pack is a real good value for something very delicious. If you buy similar gourmet type Tesco Finest crackers in Tesco of course, you'd be looking to pay at least £1.99 for the same weight packet.

Last edited by Turbohot; 04 April 2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05 April 2016, 10:59 PM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

I've tried buying none branded foods and to be honest i was disappointed. Don't get me wrong you do get the odd nice food. But i've found alot is hit and miss as has been said.
Old 05 April 2016, 11:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Does non branded food exist
Old 09 April 2016, 03:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

And this is the reason why I don't mind shopping at Aldi:

Name:  image_1.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  221.8 KB

^ Lunch today. All products are from Aldi.

Ok, Aldi bread is not as good quality at all but just about edible, but you can't go wrong with delicious Aldi hummbus (British spelling ) for 49p as opposed to, at least a quid; at Tesco. Same story with veg, fruit and salads although you must consume Aldi's greens quicker, I suggest.

By the way, any juice in cartons is shyte at Aldi. Orange one is like sewerage water and rest other flavours are also like the washing machine water. Not that I've ever tasted any of those but you know what I mean. I warn you not to bother with Aldi pre-packed juices.

Quick Reply: And thats one reason why i don't shop at ALDI