Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone work in Car Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2016, 08:05 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone work in Car Insurance?

Due to car getting keyed 4 times off some lass who took exception to me parking in "Her spot", even though it's on a side road and a couple street away from her house !!! Like, how am I supposed to know that? I need the full side of my Audi S3 Saloon resprayed.

Had 3 quotes today, but Keen to use local Audi bodyshop. Looking at £1000, and that's with discount.

If I claim (£250 excess) how would that effect my premiums for the next 5 years.
20+ years no claims, protected. 2 cars on insurance.

Would it be worth claiming (and I want to choose where it's repaired) or will the premium load-up mean I'm better off just paying for it outright myself?

Cheers
Old 14 March 2016, 10:08 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Not in insurance but usually if protected they give you 1 claim without any affect on your premium, well that is what I was told previously.
Old 14 March 2016, 10:08 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
Due to car getting keyed 4 times off some lass who took exception to me parking in "Her spot", even though it's on a side road and a couple street away from her house !!! Like, how am I supposed to know that? I need the full side of my Audi S3 Saloon resprayed.

Had 3 quotes today, but Keen to use local Audi bodyshop. Looking at £1000, and that's with discount.

If I claim (£250 excess) how would that effect my premiums for the next 5 years.
20+ years no claims, protected. 2 cars on insurance.

Would it be worth claiming (and I want to choose where it's repaired) or will the premium load-up mean I'm better off just paying for it outright myself?

Cheers
Your premium will go up if you make a claim against your own policy. It will be on your record for 5 years and each renewal it will need to be declared. It will follow you around like a bad smell. All insurance companies will load your premium because of it. If you can afford it pay yourself. Imho
Old 15 March 2016, 10:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you prove it was her? Police involved? Your insurers could go after her for the money.
Old 15 March 2016, 12:53 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Your percentage of no-claims bonus will be protected - so that your premium will still attract 65% discount (or whatever your percentage is) - but the base premium will increase for 5 years.
In reality - anything less than £1000 damage on a high group car would probably be better to pay yourself, without claiming.
Technically - you are supposed to inform your insurance company of this incident, even if you don't claim. That would also result in higher future premiums - as your risk level will increase, due to what has happened.
Umbrella until it rains, comes to mind!
Cheers
Steve
Old 15 March 2016, 01:17 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You have to love car insurance don't you! - when the conversation is how much will I get shafted by claiming on the very product I bought to protect me in case of unexpected events

Old 15 March 2016, 01:32 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Surely you should have reported this to the police as it is criminal damage.
Old 15 March 2016, 02:13 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by johned
Surely you should have reported this to the police as it is criminal damage.
Indeed.Also,shouldn't your insurance have legal cover? Get them to chase after her & get the ****** to pay up!
Make the Insurance company do something to earn their keep for once.
Old 15 March 2016, 02:27 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Can you prove it was her? Police involved? Your insurers could go after her for the money.
Police were involved. Went round to question her, but as I didn't witness her do it (happened late night or early morning) it's her word against mine.

I did confront her one morning (4th damage done New years Eve) and she was very cold with her answers. You just know when it's someone, but can't prove it?

Plus if I'd witnessed her doing it, I probably be in more trouble, as I'd have kicked every panel in on her new DS3 right in front of her. Every action has a reaction

I just hope somewhere down the line, someone damages her car. See how she likes it.
Old 15 March 2016, 02:30 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve05wrx
Hi,
Your percentage of no-claims bonus will be protected - so that your premium will still attract 65% discount (or whatever your percentage is) - but the base premium will increase for 5 years.
In reality - anything less than £1000 damage on a high group car would probably be better to pay yourself, without claiming.
Technically - you are supposed to inform your insurance company of this incident, even if you don't claim. That would also result in higher future premiums - as your risk level will increase, due to what has happened.
Umbrella until it rains, comes to mind!
Cheers
Steve
Come in just under a Grand, and that's with an Audi Bodyshop. Had lower quotes, but as it's not ever 12 months old, I'd rather give it to Audi to repair. Thankfully they have a special offer on, as Benfield has been taken over by Lookers. Quotes are basically staff prices to keep people within the group. That's the story anyway.

Booked the car in. Just going to pay it myself, and swallow very hard.
Old 15 March 2016, 02:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If you are footing the bill, please see if you can get to see someof the dealership's workmanship with bodywork.

Some these days are unforgivable quality/finish.
Old 15 March 2016, 03:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If you are footing the bill, please see if you can get to see someof the dealership's workmanship with bodywork.

Some these days are unforgivable quality/finish.
Was outside their bodyshop yesterday. Audi's everywhere. Being a Dealer group owned bodyshop, it's where all their cars will go (new and old) to be repaired before selling on.

If it's not up to standard, I can just refuse to accept. Plus come selling/trade-in time, they can't grumble at any spray work, as it's them that did it.

That's the reason I decided to go with Audi. Had lower quotes, but maybe finish won't be to the required standard.
Old 15 March 2016, 06:38 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
Was outside their bodyshop yesterday. Audi's everywhere. Being a Dealer group owned bodyshop, it's where all their cars will go (new and old) to be repaired before selling on.

If it's not up to standard, I can just refuse to accept. Plus come selling/trade-in time, they can't grumble at any spray work, as it's them that did it.

That's the reason I decided to go with Audi. Had lower quotes, but maybe finish won't be to the required standard.
Most dealerships don't do their own body work, they sub contract it to a local national body repair centre. I know the local audi dealership to does this. They were completely open and told me where to go to see workshops.
Just check they are doing it themselves or you might be paying audi a premium just to drive it to the repair centre!
Old 15 March 2016, 08:00 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It's difficult to say as all insurers will vary, but if you say a ballpark figure of around 15% extra it'll give you an idea