Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Business

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2016, 08:14 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Business

My wife has just started an ironing business, anyone on here got any advice on setting/starting up a website? I've never had anything to do with buying a domain name or even hosting a website, so being honest, I/we've not got a clue where to start. I've been looking on Google, but I'm lost with it all.
Any advice would be great.
Old 17 February 2016, 08:41 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Facebook page?
Hate Facebook myself, but the wife is on it. She has just expanded her business and opened another branch, her sister created a Facebook page and it had several hundred likes within a couple of days so it's good to get the word out there.
If you make a specific website you have to rely on people searching for that specific thing.
Old 17 February 2016, 08:42 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy the domain associated with the name is the first thing.

setting up a website is easy, either do it yourself, read up and code it yourself, use a site builder (most domain hosts have them) or pay someone a small amount of money to make one for you, you can get single page websites cheap and pay increased sums for more pages.

Don't need to go overboard with the hosting space as it's a portal for contact rather than a video, blog hosting sort of site by the sound of it.

As said previously also do a facebook page - although you could buy the domain name and put a holding page to stop someone nicking the name and use shares on FB to promote that works well TBH>

Last edited by PaulC72; 17 February 2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 17 February 2016, 08:45 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Facebook page?
Hate Facebook myself, but the wife is on it. She has just expanded her business and opened another branch, her sister created a Facebook page and it had several hundred likes within a couple of days so it's good to get the word out there.
If you make a specific website you have to rely on people searching for that specific thing.
Cheers for the reply, we've a Facebook page but want to go one step further. We have a few other similar business's local to us who all seem to have proper websites with things like online booking.
Old 17 February 2016, 08:46 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
buy the domain associated with the name is the first thing.

setting up a website is easy, either do it yourself, read up and code it yourself, use a site builder (most domain hosts have them) or pay someone a small amount of money to make one for you, you can get single page websites cheap and pay increased sums for more pages.

Don't need to go overboard with the hosting space as it's a portal for contact rather than a video, blog hosting sort of site by the sound of it.

As said previously also do a facebook page - although you could buy the domain name and put a holding page to stop someone nicking the name and use shares on FB to promote that works well TBH>
Cheers Paul
Old 17 February 2016, 09:19 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Cheers Paul
NP mate, good luck.
Old 17 February 2016, 09:43 PM
Neeko1988
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul
My mrs has used a company called webfactory they took care of everything and was quite cheap.

They are excellent at responding to emails aswell normally within 10 minutes. They sort the domain name, site, email address the lot.
Old 18 February 2016, 12:04 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife has just started an ironing business, anyone on here got any advice on setting/starting up a website? I've never had anything to do with buying a domain name or even hosting a website, so being honest, I/we've not got a clue where to start. I've been looking on Google, but I'm lost with it all.
Any advice would be great.
relatively cheap, easy to bolt on eCommerce etc They have their failings but that's why they are cheap! https://uk.godaddy.com/websites/website-builder
Old 18 February 2016, 05:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I recently started my own business late last year. Found the whole website thing to be a right pain in the @rse.

I went to a few website designers, and the vary in price from £200 to £2000 for a simple website. You need to ask yourself what do you want your website to be? Just an advert? a way for people to make booking through? Links to facebook, and Twitter etc.

Mine was just a simple website to advertise my services. I ended up going with a company who were involved in a Government Business startup support scheme. The guy spoke plain English, listened to what I had to say, and came up with some very good idea's. I got Business card designed as well. And the cards and website look very professional.

I found most website designers didn't really listen, and thought they knew it all, and just quoted prices out of thin air. Much like car salesmen, most are W.ankers, but there are a few genuine ones out there.
Old 18 February 2016, 06:04 PM
GWJ
Scooby Regular

Ensure that you buy your domain name. I have had many instances of sorting out ownership when above mentioned W.anker webdesigners have bought a domain for a client but registered it to themselves
Old 19 February 2016, 07:13 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Had a look on Sitebuilder, they say you get to own your domain name for life. Anyone else used them?