Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Snake and Rat Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2016, 11:13 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snake and Rat Dilemma

Basically, I was on my usual walk in the break a couple of weeks ago, and some adolescents stopped me and propped up this question to me:

Imagine (just imagine, even if you never have/had/will have either of them as your pet) you have a pet snake and a pet rat. Your pet rat dies one day. Now, would you feed the pet rat's body to your pet snake?

My immediate answer was 'Yes'. There was some dissatisfaction around my answer from just one person in the group, so it made me thinking.

What do you guys (and if another lady is knocking about) think?
Old 26 January 2016, 11:24 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Yep, feed the dead rat to the snake.
If you are of a particularly sensitive or sentimental nature you could console yourself with the thought that the rat lives on as part of the snake.
Old 26 January 2016, 11:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well saves on snake food I guess

why anyone want keep one goodness only knows
Old 26 January 2016, 11:38 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends what the rat died of, if it was a heart attack at seeing the snake then **** the snake this could be your only opportunity to find out what nice clean well fed rat tastes like, spit roast rodent yummy.
Old 26 January 2016, 11:40 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Basically, I was on my usual walk in the break a couple of weeks ago, and some adolescents stopped me and propped up this question to me:

Imagine (just imagine, even if you never have/had/will have either of them as your pet) you have a pet snake and a pet rat. Your pet rat dies one day. Now, would you feed the pet rat's body to your pet snake?
Granted it's been a while since I've been up that way but i didn't realise north Wales had gotten that strange.
Old 26 January 2016, 11:45 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Yep, feed the dead rat to the snake.
If you are of a particularly sensitive or sentimental nature you could console yourself with the thought that the rat lives on as part of the snake.
Originally Posted by dpb
Well saves on snake food I guess

why anyone want keep one goodness only knows
Would you apply same thought to the cat and dog scenario, or will your thought be a different one? Would you feed your dead cat to the dog? Please note that in this imaginary scenario, the cat dies of natural death or in an accident with something else, not poisoned or killed by the dog.

Last edited by Turbohot; 26 January 2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 26 January 2016, 11:45 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by neil-h
Granted it's been a while since I've been up that way but i didn't realise north Wales had gotten that strange.
http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/trouble...h-on-our-side/

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2016, 11:56 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Thought provoking question, I thought. Children/adolescents shouldn't be just seen but heard, too. Better snake-rat debate among them than debating which bird to sh@g next and what corner to hang out at, for a toke of dope while skidding around senselessly on their skate boards with a can of value cherryade from lidl in their hand each.
Old 26 January 2016, 12:10 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Thought provoking question, I thought. Children/adolescents shouldn't be just seen but heard, too. Better snake-rat debate among them than debating which bird to sh@g next and what corner to hang out at, for a toke of dope while skidding around senselessly on their skate boards with a can of value cherryade from lidl in their hand each.
Just struck me as being incredibly random.

On the note of random questions. What would you rather be attacked by, 1 horse sized duck or 10 duck sized horses?
Old 26 January 2016, 12:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

your dag wouldn't want to eat the cat unless it was REALLY hungry , youd have to prepared it for him

whereas the rat , just chuck it in there, jobs a goodun
Old 26 January 2016, 12:26 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Would you apply same thought to the cat and dog scenario,
Do you regard a cat as a part of the natural diet of a dog?
Hardly the same thing as rat/snake is it?
Old 26 January 2016, 12:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Just struck me as being incredibly random.

On the note of random questions. What would you rather be attacked by, 1 horse sized duck or 10 duck sized horses?
Oh, definitely. I felt it was random too, but I found it sensible with that.

Now, to answer your question, I'd rather be attacked by 1 horse size duck, to be honest. I say that because I could either ride a horse size duck in defence or run off from between its magnified feet but 10 duck size horses would be trampling all over me from every direction, and I will get well leathered by them. It's slightly similar to the analogy of being totalled by one lion and ten Anopheles mosquitos. You have better chance of escaping your agony with one lion than you would, with ten mosquitos. Ten mosquitoes will bite you something chronic and give you slow death like malaria whereas a lion will just kill you and end all your agony quite sharpish.

Last edited by Turbohot; 26 January 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 26 January 2016, 12:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Do you regard a cat as a part of the natural diet of a dog?
Hardly the same thing as rat/snake is it?
No.

Natural diet isn't so much of a question here, Blue by You. The question is your emotional attachment with your pet. Cat isn't a natural diet to the dog, we all know that, but it's a natural prey to it. Yes, they may become friends in many instances, but that's not the point. Imagine both are your pets, but they don't get on with each other. Now would you chuck the dead body of your cat to your dog to rip it apart, as it may toy with it, if not naturally consume it to satisfy its hunger?

Ok, if cat and dog analogy isn't so suitable, think of a goat and a lion as your pets and apply the situation to that scene.

I think this one will be difficult as goat and lion as pets isn't really that common, is it.

Ok, think of a pet budgie and a pet cat scenario in your own context and apply the situation to that.
Old 26 January 2016, 12:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I reckon this blokes parents kept the rats to feed the snake
Old 26 January 2016, 12:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I reckon this blokes parents kept the rats to feed the snake
In that ^ case, there wouldn't be any dilemma.

In the scenario I am talking, the pet rat isn't kept as the food for the pet snake. It's kept as another loving pet.
Old 26 January 2016, 01:15 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

either scenario works, bury it and it returns to the earth to nurture it. feed it to the snake and it gives sustenance to the snake who in turn dies and returns to the earth to also nurture the soil. unless a predator eats the snake in which case the snake supplys sustenance to the predator of the snake, who in turn dies and returns to the earth to nurture it, unless.........you get the idea lol. as a side note when the snake dies skin it and you can make some nice snakeskin shoes, or a handbag in your case
Old 26 January 2016, 01:16 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Oh, definitely. I felt it was random too, but I found it sensible with that.

Now, to answer your question, I'd rather be attacked by 1 horse size duck, to be honest. I say that because I could either ride a horse size duck in defence or run off from between its magnified feet but 10 duck size horses would be trampling all over me from every direction, and I will get well leathered by them. It's slightly similar to the analogy of being totalled by one lion and ten Anopheles mosquitos. You have better chance of escaping your agony with one lion than you would, with ten mosquitos. Ten mosquitoes will bite you something chronic and give you slow death like malaria whereas a lion will just kill you and end all your agony quite sharpish.
Trampling all over you? Are you staked-down and tied to the ground in this scenario, or are you a bona fide real-life Lilliputian?
Old 26 January 2016, 01:22 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Is this a real thread or am I having a flashback?
Old 26 January 2016, 01:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Trampling all over you? Are you staked-down and tied to the ground in this scenario, or are you a bona fide real-life Lilliputian?
Even in the cases other than that, I personally would find it difficult to fight off 10 duck size horses. What about you? Are you going to input with what you would do in such random scenarios or just pick a hole in other people's posts in your usual insipid, back-and-white ways?

Last edited by Turbohot; 26 January 2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 26 January 2016, 01:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Is this a real thread or am I having a flashback?
What do you mean? Explain!
Old 26 January 2016, 01:31 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Is this a real thread
I thought it was a plausible, if somewhat bizarre, topic at first with two fairly simple and equally rational answers; practicality vs sentimentality.
But now I'm not so sure, squeak hiss whinney cluck - GET DOWN!

Last edited by Blue by You; 26 January 2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 26 January 2016, 01:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Watching Attenborough in Tibet last night, some Buddhists up there actually take their dead and leave them on the mountaintop for the vultures. Pics of the place were rather disturbing.......
Old 26 January 2016, 01:36 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Watching Attenborough in Tibet last night, some Buddhists up there actually take their dead and leave them on the mountaintop for the vultures. Pics of the place were rather disturbing.......
Don't be worried, I'm sure you have a few more years on here left yet
Old 26 January 2016, 01:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Old 26 January 2016, 01:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Really as gruesome as setting your loved one adrift down the Ganges on a few twigs ?

Last edited by dpb; 26 January 2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 26 January 2016, 01:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
That's a collectively agreed, organised, well-thought and practical thought by the Buddhists. If the pics of that kind disturbed you so much, I'm wondering what you'd do with your loved but a dead pet rat. Would you feed it to your loved pet snake or what?

And yes, it's still the practicality vs sentimentality in question.

I forgot to say that I did give the example to the objecting (to my 'yes') lad of what's happening in Syria/Madaya right now. I told him that people are leaving their sentimentality behind as they have no choice, and are having to eat their pet dogs and pet cats to survive. But the kid wasn't convinced. he said he was talking about the regular setting here in the UK, not the current desperate setting in Syria.
Old 26 January 2016, 01:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Plus I'm not Buddhist, nor do I live in Tibet

The worst thing was that the dead are carried up wrapped in long cloths, and LEFT WRAPPED, so that there were scraps of rags all over the place. Looked like an explosion in a cemetery. I suppose it suits them, but.......
Old 26 January 2016, 01:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Really as gruesome as setting your loved one adrift down the Ganges on a few twigs ?
Last year, my English traveller daughter witnessed these scenes on the banks of the Ganges in Varanasi. She said that it was something very deeply explanatory to her, in terms of what us living beings are; with our mortal bodies.

I'm still not so sure whether she'd feel her pet rat to her pet snake, though. She's away on her travels again, so can't ask her of her views on this.

I, from a distance, once saw a Hindu dead body burning on a pyre in Guyana. It was long after I had started to live in the UK. It was a traumatic site. I had lost my father only a few years prior to that, so watching the aftermath of a human body brought that up for me, and made me very sad.

Last edited by Turbohot; 26 January 2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 26 January 2016, 01:55 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Even in the cases other than that, I personally would find it difficult to fight off 10 dick size horses. What about you? Are you going to input with what you would do in such random scenarios or just pick a hole in other people's posts in your usual insipid, back-and-white ways?
Now you put it that way, you're probably right, I wouldn't stand a chance. At least not if they're anywhere near the size of mine

ps
My earlier comment was meant in jest, sorry for forgetting the smiley
Old 26 January 2016, 01:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Now you put it that way, you're probably right, I wouldn't stand a chance. At least not if they're anywhere near the size of mine

ps
My earlier comment was meant in jest, sorry for forgetting the smiley

Hey, your guess was still right, though. I'd pass for a Lilliputian at a pathetic 5'2" meself, Mark.

Quick Reply: Snake and Rat Dilemma