Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Back to work tomorrow.....

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2016, 10:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Back to work tomorrow.....

....anyone thinking of quitting without any plans to move on to anything else?

Really need a change of scene and I'm useless at self employment.
Old 03 January 2016, 10:30 AM
Lee225
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having exactly those thoughts, really don't want to go back.
Old 03 January 2016, 10:32 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't seem to be useless, seem to be making money , lots of toy big house etc

You have go on holidays though and a get a wife / servant

You could Rent the place out and go busking round India or maybe take up after dinner speaking ~ oodles of cash for nothing , expenses paid
Old 03 January 2016, 11:53 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
....anyone thinking of quitting without any plans to move on to anything else?

Really need a change of scene and I'm useless at self employment.

Originally Posted by Lee225
I'm having exactly those thoughts, really don't want to go back.
Then make changes. Stop thinking that you're useless in this n' that. If you have some financial back up to see you mortgage/bills etc. then take a rucksack, go travelling, see something different and come back to start something new. It can be a different employment, if not self-employment.

I know a boy (daughter's friend) with 1st class in Computer Science degree who declined a top job in Germany and has been travelling with doing odd jobs wherever he lands, because he doesn't want to get stuck in a rut (or rutt, rott- whatever you call it.

You guys are much older but if you're on your own with no settled relationship/kids etc., then go places; rather than getting up every morning with a thought like that. What's stopping you!

Originally Posted by dpb
You don't seem to be useless, seem to be making money , lots of toy big house etc

You have go on holidays though and a get a wife / servant

You could Rent the place out and go busking round India or maybe take up after dinner speaking ~ oodles of cash for nothing , expenses paid
And you! Don't ever stroke 'wife' with a 'servant'!

Rest is cool.
Old 03 January 2016, 12:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

New Year blues Ali.

Best of luck.......you always seem planted and reasonably happy on here, plus a mine of info.
Old 03 January 2016, 12:55 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did, so I sold one big house and bought 2 others one to give me an income and the other to fix up and give me an even better income, so I can do as I please in a year or 2 and I'm not even 50 yet.

Best thing I have ever done, I'm not cash rich but I've more than doubled my original stake and had money to live on and pay for materials etc along the way, it's been a bit of a long road at almost 9yrs but the end is in sight.

The biggest benefits though are not marching to the beat of anyone elses drum and waking up every morning in spectacular surroundings.

I have already done the high life, traveling, cars, bikes, boats, skiing, diving, horse and bike riding in some far flung places,off roading even toyed with flying for a spell, but none of it gives me a buzz like waking up here and doing my own thing.

Freedom, there's a lot to be said for it.
Old 03 January 2016, 01:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Then make changes. Stop thinking that you're useless in this n' that. If you have some financial back up to see you mortgage/bills etc. then take a rucksack, go travelling, see something different and come back to start something new. It can be a different employment, if not self-employment.

I know a boy (daughter's friend) with 1st class in Computer Science degree who declined a top job in Germany and has been travelling with doing odd jobs wherever he lands, because he doesn't want to get stuck in a rut (or rutt, rott- whatever you call it.

You guys are much older but if you're on your own with no settled relationship/kids etc., then go places; rather than getting up every morning with a thought like that. What's stopping you!

And you! Don't ever stroke 'wife' with a 'servant'!

Rest is cool.

morning Mrs
Old 03 January 2016, 02:05 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to work t omorrow? Was there a break or something?

Been flat out since the 27th, on my 5th job of the day today. Co-op for the first three isolating this and that and making safe due to water ingress, although I can't claim all the glory, the three phase over door heater isolated itself when it caught fire!

Now in a b+q doing the same, then off to a station as a 160a switch fuse has "blown". All at double time, happy days
Old 03 January 2016, 03:30 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Was a nice break, but has gone pretty quick, first year that I am not looking forward to going in tomorrow.

If someone wants to take the wife and kid off me I reckon I could retire. almost. my expectations are lower than theirs.

Did book holidays yesterday though, so on count down
Old 03 January 2016, 03:41 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah ive got the feeling of dread for tomorrow as well. maybe some motovating words from shia labeouf will help.......
Old 03 January 2016, 04:30 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I start back tomorrow but only if I get a call, might put my phone on silent!!!!
Old 03 January 2016, 04:42 PM
NOCK
Scooby Regular

I remember hearing this time last year that the first day back to work after Christmas is when walkouts/resignations are at their highest.

I love what I do so don't feel like that but I feel for those that do. Why not look at training in something else part-time with a view to switching careers? I'm a big believer that you can get whatever you want if you want it hard enough.
Old 03 January 2016, 04:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Tool batteries are charged and alarms have been put back on my phone. I'm not looking forward to a busy day tomorrow especially since I have been off for 3 weeks.
Old 03 January 2016, 05:38 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOCK
I remember hearing this time last year that the first day back to work after Christmas is when walkouts/resignations are at their highest.

I love what I do so don't feel like that but I feel for those that do. Why not look at training in something else part-time with a view to switching careers? I'm a big believer that you can get whatever you want if you want it hard enough.
So true.
Old 03 January 2016, 06:09 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NOCK
I'm a big believer that you can get whatever you want if you want it hard enough.
so does shia
Old 03 January 2016, 07:54 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Man the Fu** up and get on with it, you need to go to work so you can have holidays otherwise what else would you do lol.

Back tomorrow myself and quite looking forward to it, I do like my job though.
Old 03 January 2016, 09:50 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Tomorrow morning, after 12 years and 3 months in the Army, My 'notice to terminate' is going in. I then have 1 year left before I'm a civvie. Gotta fit in loads of courses and my last 3 months is spent as a civvie but still getting paid! Nervous, but excited for the future! I'm certainly not going to miss room inspections, walking around Salisbury plain at 2 am in the cold and wet or sleeping underneath a sheet of material in a ****ty hole I've dug in the middle Of Thetford Forest lol!!
Old 03 January 2016, 10:12 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Tomorrow morning, after 12 years and 3 months in the Army, My 'notice to terminate' is going in. I then have 1 year left before I'm a civvie. Gotta fit in loads of courses and my last 3 months is spent as a civvie but still getting paid! Nervous, but excited for the future! I'm certainly not going to miss room inspections, walking around Salisbury plain at 2 am in the cold and wet or sleeping underneath a sheet of material in a ****ty hole I've dug in the middle Of Thetford Forest lol!!
All that and for not much more than the minimum wage when you consider the 24 hour nature of the role. Best of luck with it Peedee.

First Christmas in 10 years that I haven't been on call and absolutely loved it! Only slightly wierd thing is now that I work from home, it doesn't feel like being off work - although nice to not have to give work a second thought for almost two weeks, and have a couple of drinks now and then.

Never stay in a job you dislike, life is way too short - either learn to like it, or make your plans to move up or move on.
Old 03 January 2016, 10:21 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Man the Fu** up and get on with it, you need to go to work so you can have holidays otherwise what else would you do lol.

This is another and quite a relevant way of looking at this 'not wanting to go back to work tomorrow' epidemic.
A Third World solution to a First World problem.
Old 03 January 2016, 10:21 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
All that and for not much more than the minimum wage when you consider the 24 hour nature of the role. Best of luck with it Peedee.

First Christmas in 10 years that I haven't been on call and absolutely loved it! Only slightly wierd thing is now that I work from home, it doesn't feel like being off work - although nice to not have to give work a second thought for almost two weeks, and have a couple of drinks now and then.

Never stay in a job you dislike, life is way too short - either learn to like it, or make your plans to move up or move on.
Thanks mate. To be fair, the pay is fairly good, but if I stayed any longer, it would be just for the money as I don't enjoy the job anymore, which is a bad thing. I'd rather earn less but enjoy the work. The Army used to be great and I saw myself as doing the full 22 years, but over the last 3-4 years it has completely changed unfortunately, which is quite clear to see when you take a look at the sign-off and retention rates.
Old 04 January 2016, 05:45 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Is it me or has this thread has had a visit from the thread ninjas.
Old 04 January 2016, 05:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Is it me or has this thread has had a visit from the thread ninjas.
Well, it certainly has had a visit from someone. The last post has vanished.
Old 04 January 2016, 06:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

The awkward silence was deafening.....
Old 10 January 2016, 10:22 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
I start back tomorrow but only if I get a call, might put my phone on silent!!!!
Ended up working Weds to Friday, working tomorrow too
Old 11 January 2016, 07:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I threatened to walk out if I have to do any rectification work on another LR319 or L320 (or L322) without the proper technical resources subscription or no adequate labour rate and job time. (Three last week: one with dead Active stabilisation hydraulics, another with a blown manifold and another that's generally a shed all owned by people that bought them cheap and either have no money or no idea or no appreciation of the work involved ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 January 2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11 January 2016, 12:52 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I threatened to walk out if I have to do any rectification work on another LR319 or L320 (or L322) without the proper technical resources subscription or no adequate labour rate and job time. (Three last week: one with dead Active stabilisation hydraulics, another with a blown manifold and another that's generally a shed all owned by people that bought them cheap and either have no money or no idea or no appreciation of the work involved ).
Are you saying avoid Land Rover's then, unless you have deep pockets for if/when they go wrong?

This is the worst time of year, crap weather but at least its starting to get a bit lighter!
Old 11 January 2016, 01:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

In short yes: If you have to have one; Buy one with a manufacturer's warranty and avoid anything older than 3 years old. In the end of there the day there's a good reason why a £65K (when new )car is on a secondhand-sales pitch for under £25K

Edit...and don't buy one with t*sser-skirts (as I like to call them...but otherwise known as side step/bars)...as it prevents them being lifted on a 2post lift ...ahh well another 2 hours to bill to the owner.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 January 2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11 January 2016, 01:51 PM
NOCK
Scooby Regular

In short yes: If you have to have one; Buy one with a manufacturer's warranty and avoid anything older than 3 years old. In the end of there the day there's a good reason why a £65K (when new )car is on a secondhand-sales pitch for under £25K

Edit...and don't buy one with t*sser-skirts (as I like to call them...but otherwise known as side step/bars)...as it prevents them being lifted on a 2post lift ...ahh well another 2 hours to bill to the owner.
We've got an Evoque... and I completely agree with the above. If it wasn't under warranty it would be gone!