Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pikey clothes and down jackets

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2015, 10:38 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pikey clothes and down jackets

Ok so last week I bought a new coat went in for a Barbour waxed jacket for 270 quid ended up buying a belstaff for 600, anyway whilst floating around Leeds I was in Harvey nicks and saw the Canadian goose jackets proper ones, 700 quid each lovely coats.
Anyway I then started looking on eBay and how many of them are fakes is a joke, there was one with a bird modelling it and she had that council face you know the one,, gaunt full of **** and nicotine and white lightning..

Nice coats but too many fakes about, may get one next time I'm in the USA

Anyway tonight I decided I wanted a new pillow for bed, I have a few tempur ones but I fancied down again, Jesus Canadian goose feather down 100% 200 to 300 quid each, what I don't want though are feathers that scratch me so it has to be down...

Might start a goose farm...
Old 14 December 2015, 08:01 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stay perfectly warm in my £80 coat and sleep perfectly well with my £10 pillow from The Range
Old 14 December 2015, 08:40 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I stay perfectly warm in my £80 coat and sleep perfectly well with my £10 pillow from The Range
More money than sense. Don't try and understand it, its like women, its not possible to understand.

some people feel the need to brag about it on forums to make them feel better....
Old 14 December 2015, 08:58 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch I'm all for quality but a £600 jacket is a bit of a stretch even for me, I bought the £270 Barbour (well the Mrs did) for xmas a couple of years ago and it's a lovely winter coat/jacket, I only wear it as smart winter wear though if I'm off out somewhere.

As for down Jackets I have a 16yr old North Face Summit Series (as mentioned in jeans thread) that's just day to day winter wear and by it's age you can tell it came from a time when north face did actually make some propper quality kit, not the more fashion type stuff they seem to do now, wasn't cheap at the time though and even less so as I bought one for the mrs at the same time, but she still uses hers to walk the dog in at 6am every morning, so definitely very good value for money.

Pillow has to be of decent quality for me too, I buy mine from Dunelm at about 60 quid a pop, current one is about 5yrs old and still perfect, but I always have a couple of the Alovera pillow cases that go on under the normal pillow case to protect it at the same time.
Old 14 December 2015, 08:59 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

weirdly enough it was a woman that chose my coat..... wonder ....

Yeah I'm with you Dictchy i would have never paid that to be honest but after he gave me 100 quid off as i knew him and i just got some free cash floating that a mate owned i went for it

As for down yeah I'm with you, i have the NF gilet and a 10 year old puffa that i use. Some of them Canadian goose jackets are a grand LOL.
I did look at dunelm mills but then i remembered the best Pillows ive ever sampled where the Marriot Hotel ones, of which you can buy online so I'm gonna get 2 today think there 35 quid each...

Last edited by Littleted; 14 December 2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 14 December 2015, 09:00 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll spend decent money on motorcycle gear or anything else where safety is concerned, but other than that I'll spend as little as I can get away with.
Old 14 December 2015, 09:02 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
More money than sense. Don't try and understand it, its like women, its not possible to understand.

some people feel the need to brag about it on forums to make them feel better....
yeah you should be ashamed,
Old 14 December 2015, 09:03 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
I'll spend decent money on motorcycle gear or anything else where safety is concerned, but other than that I'll spend as little as I can get away with.
Wont u wear belstaff then Flowers, or is it even a premium in Motorbike world, i have to say its a nice coat but Barbours more for your money, for me to make this Coat warm i need to buy an additional inner at wait for it 300 LOL
Old 14 December 2015, 09:05 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleted
Ok so last week I bought a new coat went in for a Barbour waxed jacket for 270 quid ended up buying a belstaff for 600, anyway whilst floating around Leeds I was in Harvey nicks and saw the Canadian goose jackets proper ones, 700 quid each lovely coats.
Anyway I then started looking on eBay and how many of them are fakes is a joke, there was one with a bird modelling it and she had that council face you know the one,, gaunt full of **** and nicotine and white lightning..

Nice coats but too many fakes about, may get one next time I'm in the USA

Anyway tonight I decided I wanted a new pillow for bed, I have a few tempur ones but I fancied down again, Jesus Canadian goose feather down 100% 200 to 300 quid each, what I don't want though are feathers that scratch me so it has to be down...

Might start a goose farm...
Canadian Genuine Goose down jackets in COSTCO at £420 all up.
Old 14 December 2015, 09:10 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
weirdly enough it was a woman that chose my coat..... wonder ....

Yeah I'm with you Dictchy i would have never paid that to be honest but after he gave me 100 quid off as i knew him and i just got some free cash floating that a mate owned i went for it

As for down yeah I'm with you, i have the NF gilet and a 10 year old puffa that i use. Some of them Canadian goose jackets are a grand LOL.
I did look at dunelm mills but then i remembered the best Pillows ive ever sampled where the Marriot Hotel ones, of which you can buy online so I'm gonna get 2 today think there 35 quid each...
I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Belstaff, I have a cotton/canvas one that I bought about 10yrs ago in Italy for about £250 which is more of a late summer evening type jacket and it still looks like the day I bought it, half wish I'd have bought the leather version but that was about £800 so I shyed away beautiful fit though.

As for the more money than sense, I don't have so much money that I can afford to waste it on cheap rubbish that falls apart in the wash or doesn't do the job I NEED it to.
Old 14 December 2015, 09:22 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

yeah this is cotton the leather Panther Jacket or Beckhams variant are 1200 now, think james May wears the Panther one... Mine is more UK summer, and the reason i got it, as my Dog Walking NorthFace triclimate is a little too warm for Pubs etc and i really struggled with a Pub coat, plus it smells of Dog ha
Old 14 December 2015, 09:28 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Canadian Genuine Goose down jackets in COSTCO at £420 all up.
got a link to the mens ? i can see womens but not mens
Old 14 December 2015, 01:47 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Mine is like this but not wax and it's a tan colour.

http://www.mrporter.com/en-hr/mens/b...t/700989?ppv=2

£550 might stick mine on the bay and get my money back.

Opps just noticed it's in Euro but that's still around 400 quid.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 14 December 2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 14 December 2015, 01:52 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

OK then, somebody blind us with trivia here - how many geese does it take to make one standard UK-size pillow?
Old 14 December 2015, 02:40 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Mine is like this but not wax and it's a tan colour.

http://www.mrporter.com/en-hr/mens/b...t/700989?ppv=2

£550 might stick mine on the bay and get my money back.

Opps just noticed it's in Euro but that's still around 400 quid.
That's Mine too...
Old 14 December 2015, 02:41 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
OK then, somebody blind us with trivia here - how many geese does it take to make one standard UK-size pillow?
good question its also down so its the fluffy **** under the feathers, not in abundance....
Old 14 December 2015, 09:23 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

It's over 12c outside..... I'm still in short sleeves never mind a jacket.

Are you lot from the south?
Old 15 December 2015, 06:35 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zip106
It's over 12c outside..... I'm still in short sleeves never mind a jacket.

Are you lot from the south?
That's a very good question. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination what you'd call the Go-Pro wearing action hero type, but even I had to take the zip-in winter liner back out of my all-synthetic 3/4-season jacket a few weeks ago, as it was just getting too sweaty with it in there now it's got so mild again.

Anyhow, to answer my own earlier question, it apparently takes the down from 75 birds to make an average duvet, so for a pillow I would guesstimate a good half dozen or more:
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...cts-birds.aspx

After reading that, I'm definitely not in any hurry to go out and buy anything made from this stuff.
Old 15 December 2015, 06:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ah, the good old Canada Goose. Certainly a fashion statement these days. I've got an "Expedition" and have had it for around six years. It was around CAD$700 (including tax) when I got it, and they're now around CAD$900.

I only wear it when it's very, very cold outside, at least -20 or colder, otherwise I get too warm as it's very good at keeping you toasty.

I know my local costco here did have CG last year, not sure what models they had though, pretty sure they didn't have the Expedition or Snow Mantra though, but what they did have was a pretty good saving on the price elsewhere.

If you're thinking of buying one now, get it from Canada, exchange rate is very good at the moment (CAD$2 per £1). so it'd be around £430 as opposed to the £700 if purchased in the UK.
Old 15 December 2015, 08:05 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Bought myself a Canada Goose Selkirk Parka from Costco at the weekend for £470 - so about £200 less than anywhere else.

It is seriously warm though. Not an everyday winter coat at all, but will last forever if I only use it on the really cold days.
Old 15 December 2015, 10:17 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Those Canada Goose parka's do look very nice I must admit. Shame we don't get much of a winter here though to actually put one through its paces.
Old 16 December 2015, 03:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

We're not having it too cold here at the moment. My Patagonia jacket has been doing very well. I don't think there were many days last year when I had to wear the Goose and I've not worn it at all so far this winter.
I'll admit I look a right prize pillock in it, with the hood up, but I'm a very warm and toasty looking pillock
Old 16 December 2015, 04:41 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

my brother was sponsored by Patagonia, had loads of stuff at the house once...
Old 16 December 2015, 04:56 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

can anyone Link the Costco ones they don't seem to be online
Old 16 December 2015, 08:01 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Go on then, what do you lot make of this? I could do with a new winter coat as mine is tatty, £350 max. Needs to have a hood too.

Fleece lined and polyester body filling;
http://www.barbour.com/uk/all-collec...p/MWX0900OL52L

http://www.barbour.com/uk/all-collec...p/MWX0698OL71L

http://www.barbour.com/uk/all-collec...quiltedjackets

Last edited by LSherratt; 16 December 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 17 December 2015, 01:19 AM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

LoL some money for a coat you guys spend Me personally am happy with the 4 superdry windcheaters that I have
Which is just short in price for all four than the lower end of one one of those jackets you fellas are going on about ha ha

Oh well I will just have to look like a chav with my superdry lol

Haven't been on here in a while how's your renovation work coming along on
Your house Lsherratt ?
Last time I was on we were talking about our kitchens if I remember correctly

Last edited by nizmo80; 17 December 2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 17 December 2015, 09:17 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I'll admit I look a right prize pillock in it, with the hood up, but I'm a very warm and toasty looking pillock
If anyone accuses you of looking like that, show them the pictures of you dancing around a flaming bin...
Old 17 December 2015, 12:41 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Go on then, what do you lot make of this? I could do with a new winter coat as mine is tatty, £350 max. Needs to have a hood too.

So that 80 quid coat is not quite cutting the mustard then

I tried looking at your links but they've timed out for me anyway, (internet is playing up/running slow today)

All I'll say is I hate the cold and am generally always a bit nesh, mine is the single button normal square pocket type, pretty much the same as the Barbour I posted a picture of but it's the wax version, normal nylon quilted effect inside and it has a hood that rolls up and goes into a collar zip pocket, also has a strip of corderoy (sp) on the inside of the collar and down the zip on either side.

I's plenty warm enough for me and I only zip it all the way up if it's raining, it's normally zipped to my waist as it's more of a fitted style than a big sack.

Also recommend you find a shop that stocks them and go and try it on as I think their sizing is a bit on the small side, mine is an XL and I'm not what you would call a big bloke @5'11 and 85kg , I only ever wear either a fleece top or shirt and jumper and there's not much in the way of room inside it for piling on loads of layers under it, but I guess that's the style of jacket.
Old 17 December 2015, 01:10 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizmo80
Haven't been on here in a while how's your renovation work coming along on
Your house Lsherratt ?
Last time I was on we were talking about our kitchens if I remember correctly
It's a new build on the farm so no renovation work, just everything completely fitted from scratch . That's right, white gloss units and black sparkly quartz worktops, how are you finding yours? Also, do you still do the hydrographics? That going OK??

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

So that 80 quid coat is not quite cutting the mustard then
It does but it's over 10 years old and looking tatty! It's even got a stain of white gloss paint which hasn't budged in about 4 years!
Old 18 December 2015, 09:40 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Middle one..

I just invested in a Belstaff Wilson, for the light stuff and it also press studs into my trial master for extra warmth

http://www.belstaff.co.uk/men/outerw...192-Black.html

Quick Reply: Pikey clothes and down jackets