Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Watch recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2015, 12:51 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Watch recommendation

I feel like buying a nice watch. If you had a budget of up to 2K what would you go for? Does not have to be new.
Old 17 November 2015, 01:15 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you like but could get a second hand breitling chronomat evolution for that easily with box and papers etc.
Old 17 November 2015, 01:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Secondhand vintage Rolex, probably get you a manual wind Oyster or Air King in Stainless for that much.
Old 17 November 2015, 01:23 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Would ideally want it to be something that can be worn with jeans and T-shirt but also with a suit and shirt.....so cannot be too big or bling
Old 17 November 2015, 01:27 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love watches and have a few nice ones (note nice, not expensive). But I never wear any of them! Is this something I need to change? Always have my phone on me so don't really see the point in wearing a watch.
I like the skeleton self winding mechanical watch I have.
Old 17 November 2015, 03:35 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Breitlings always seem to have too much going on.IMHO

Would love an Omega seamaster aqua terra on a leather strap.

Like my Longines Hydroconquest for now though,till I get £2k spare! I don't think it is too bling.About £750 for an automatic.Does casual and work

Last edited by lozgti1; 17 November 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 17 November 2015, 05:51 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Secondhand vintage Rolex, probably get you a manual wind Oyster or Air King in Stainless for that much.
I am well chuffed with my air king. It is stainless with smooth bezel, white face and quarter Arabic dial, so not bling at all, just smart. I wear it every day (except for work). It was second hand but not very old and not that far off its new list price, could have got a brand new perpetual for not a lot more but they stopped making the air king at the beginning of the year and the assistant in the AD I bought it said it would probably hold its value better now it's discontinued.

£2k should get around 15 year old model with box and papers.
Old 17 November 2015, 06:43 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I'd be looking at either a seamaster or a speedmaster in that price range. Smart and casual. Definitely second hand, that way someone else has already taken the depreciation. Box and papers is a must, and a recent polish and service means it'll be almost as good as new anyway. Tag Monaco is another option, but personally I don't like the modern version.
Old 17 November 2015, 08:58 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Breitlings always seem to have too much going on.IMHO

Would love an Omega seamaster aqua terra on a leather strap.

Like my Longines Hydroconquest for now though,till I get £2k spare! I don't think it is too bling.About £750 for an automatic.Does casual and work
Yes, I tend to agree on the Breitlings, (in fact I think they look a bit cheap, but that is prob just me)

I have a Tag Chronometer - but find I rarely wear it theses days

Instead I have a £10 Casio on my wrist
Old 17 November 2015, 10:02 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I`ve got a Rolex, and tbh, it`s nothing more than an image thing, as are most expensive watches. It`s not even a very good watch, and you need insurance to repair anything on it. I wouldn't buy again. Seiko diver for everyday use for me, never comes off, bombproof at work, never scratches. Spend it on your car !!
Old 17 November 2015, 10:07 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

There is a fella on here that customizes watches.
mslorach.
Old 17 November 2015, 10:19 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Spend it on your car !!
Spending on your car always results in the money effectively being lost though. Luxury watches are quite nice to own, and they hold their money extremely well. I rarely bother wearing a watch these days (only for weddings, special occasions), but still hang onto my watches, and they've been a surprisingly good investment.

Take advantage of the weak euro and consider looking at vendors in Europe. I've bought a few watches from Germany and made some substantial savings.
Old 18 November 2015, 12:32 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out U-BOAT . Their range are visually stunning in my opinion.
Old 18 November 2015, 06:14 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With that sort of budget I would consider 2 watches, decent daily beater for ish£300 and a nice dress watch for special occasions.

I used to quite like watches, not got anything too special though, got to say though i'm with hodgy 20 quid Casio if I even wear a watch these days, every so often I get my Raymond Weil out and give it a polish and admire it, but not even worn that for about 2yrs, mobile phones have kind of done for wearing a watch, before phones I couldn't leave the house without a watch.
Old 18 November 2015, 07:46 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

I have a few Diesel watches just for messing about in but just fancy treating myself to a nice luxury watch to use for some of the more special occassions. I am liking the look of the speedmaster but would you advice a metal or leather strap?
Old 18 November 2015, 09:30 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
With that sort of budget I would consider 2 watches, decent daily beater for ish£300 and a nice dress watch for special occasions.

I used to quite like watches, not got anything too special though, got to say though i'm with hodgy 20 quid Casio if I even wear a watch these days, every so often I get my Raymond Weil out and give it a polish and admire it, but not even worn that for about 2yrs, mobile phones have kind of done for wearing a watch, before phones I couldn't leave the house without a watch.
yes, when I was a bit younger I was quite into them (I still appreciate a nice watch)

but as I get older they just seem less important

having said that - I have just noticed (I am on my way into London for a meeting) that I am wearing my cheap Casio, - not a problem but I have done some painting in it

and it is speckled with white spots (like a decorators radio!!!!!!)
Old 18 November 2015, 10:26 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Call me strange but I really like the "more unusual" vintage Omega's like this one. I guess they're a bit more unique and you defiantly wouldn't see another person wearing one compared to your modern overdone Seamaster or Submariner.

Name:  2D1ABBAC-0834-4429-8B66-1B8787AB3A4D_zpsm4rowj7b.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  76.5 KB
Old 18 November 2015, 10:54 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
I have a few Diesel watches just for messing about in but just fancy treating myself to a nice luxury watch to use for some of the more special occassions. I am liking the look of the speedmaster but would you advice a metal or leather strap?
Do they start ok on a frosty morning?
Old 18 November 2015, 11:01 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm looking at a new watch this is what i decided on
Breitling i discounted as my mates hands fell off.
Rolex i like and they hold there price, its an investment, howevere the service charge is like a car service, so i didn't bother.

Tags are ok, but built to be replaced, mates wife works at TAG they just swap Guts when it breaks not like a rolex where they actually mend it...

I do like

U-Boat
Bell and Ross
Seiko Astron

My current watch is a Casio G Shock Orange thing, i cant go leather i as never take my watches off and ,leather stinks after a while if you wet it.

I also like Rados chronographs

get something diff like a Cartier Tank there ace...
Old 18 November 2015, 12:57 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
I am well chuffed with my air king. It is stainless with smooth bezel, white face and quarter Arabic dial, so not bling at all, just smart. I wear it every day (except for work). It was second hand but not very old and not that far off its new list price, could have got a brand new perpetual for not a lot more but they stopped making the air king at the beginning of the year and the assistant in the AD I bought it said it would probably hold its value better now it's discontinued.

£2k should get around 15 year old model with box and papers.
if its an air king date you can almost double that price they are very rare and sort after by collectors guess whose got one
Old 18 November 2015, 01:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Its funny though...watches with dates fetch more, but I always seek to buy one without a date as the date has to regularly changed and I'm too lazy to set it (unless it has a perpetual date/calender complication)....I still haven't put the hour back on the oven clock

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 November 2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 18 November 2015, 03:05 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted

Tags are ok, but built to be replaced, mates wife works at TAG they just swap Guts when it breaks not like a rolex where they actually mend it...

yes, I laboured under the misconception that a Tag was somehow "special"

when in fact it was fancy dressing on some massed produced vanilla innards

simply badge engineering

I still think mine looks pretty cool though

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 18 November 2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 18 November 2015, 03:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
yes, I laboured under the misconception that a Tag was somehow "special"

when in fact it was fancy dressing on some massed produced vanilla innards

simply badge engineering

I still think mine looks pretty cool though
That's the case with alot of Swiss watches, it got quite bad at one point with so many models and makers using the same ETA based internals (from £500 to £5K+) that the swatch group tried to stop supplying the ebauches to other companies. Its a bit of a farce really. It all went legal and the outcome as of today is many watch manufacturers still rely on the same ETA's ebauches.

So I advise this: Buy what you like, BUT, check secondhand values. Some drop like a brick when pre-owned. At worst a £1600 watch can only fetch £600 after 12months regardless of condition. A more fashionable brand/model will hold its value, a sought after one may go up (eventually).
Old 18 November 2015, 04:08 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Its funny though...watches with dates fetch more, but I always seek to buy one without a date as the date has to regularly changed and I'm too lazy to set it (unless it has a perpetual date/calender complication)....I still haven't put the hour back on the oven clock
yup i fully concur Ali my Air king Date doesn't get out much these days and the time taken to set the correct date every time is a complete ball ache
Old 18 November 2015, 04:20 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Never lost a penny on a watch , but in all honesty I never buy them new .
Easy to buy one , wear for a year and get back full money or more .
Loads on the bay , box and papers don't mean that much , a decent jeweller will open it up and confirm what needs confirming
Old 18 November 2015, 04:26 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at a new watch this is what i decided on
Breitling i discounted as my mates hands fell off.
Rolex i like and they hold there price, its an investment, howevere the service charge is like a car service, so i didn't bother.

I do like

U-Boat
Bell and Ross
Seiko Astron

My current watch is a Casio G Shock Orange thing, i cant go leather i as never take my watches off and ,leather stinks after a while if you wet it.

I also like Rados chronographs

get something diff like a Cartier Tank there ace...
Sorry to hear about your mate, I hope he is ok.
Old 18 November 2015, 04:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

That's the case with alot of Swiss watches, it got quite bad at one point with so many models and makers using the same ETA based internals (from £500 to £5K+) that the swatch group tried to stop supplying the ebauches to other companies. Its a bit of a farce really. It all went legal and the outcome as of today is many watch manufacturers still rely on the same ETA's ebauches.

So I advise this: Buy what you like, BUT, check secondhand values. Some drop like a brick when pre-owned. At worst a £1600 watch can only fetch £600 after 12months regardless of condition. A more fashionable brand/model will hold its value, a sought after one may go up (eventually).
yes, learnt about the ETA etc on the old Yoza watch threads

it sort of blew the whole "exclusivity/specialness" shtick for me to be honest

that and getting a bit older - I can't really be bothered with it all

a Rolex would be nice, but I always find other uses for my money

and I have heard they keep crap time anyway
Old 18 November 2015, 04:41 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Inherited this from grandad:

As has been said, these are £1800ish and in my view are a nice, understated, classic watch.
Old 18 November 2015, 04:59 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm looking at a new watch this is what i decided on . . .
Breitling i discounted as my mates hands fell off. .
I don't see what your mates leprocy has to do with your choice of watch

Originally Posted by mattstant
yup i fully concur Ali my Air king Date doesn't get out much these days and the time taken to set the correct date every time is a complete ball ache
Probably cost more for servicing as well, compared to one without day/date.
Old 18 November 2015, 05:14 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

What do you want, sporty, dressy, a diver?

A Rolex will hold its value, everything else in your price range will drop. I've a collection of Omega: Seamasters mostly, with a Speedy Pro (Moon watch) thrown in for good measure.

Buy with box and paper, it WILL hold its value better - collectors like to have them.

Try to buy original, i.e. unpolished, as again collectors prefer that if you decide to sell it. Also, a newly polished watch will look good for a few months until it's starts to pick up scratches and dings again. Then it will look used once more and you've removed material from the case so it has lost its original shape.

Have you thought about the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. Should be able to pick up a second hand one within your budget. They're sporty, dressy and come in several flavours!

Quick Reply: Watch recommendation