Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The occasional joys of French Supermarkets.

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2015, 09:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default The occasional joys of French Supermarkets.

Living out here four months a year, I have a loyalty card for the local Trois Mousquetaires Intermarche supermarket.

This October they are giving out little card poker chips that you insert into a machine to see if you win anything, (€2 so far ). You get one with every €25 spent.

But the real pleasure is this last week, (it ends on 25th October).

This morning I was able to buy fifty 25cl bottles of 1664 for €12.50, EIGHTY bottles of Kronenbourg ordinary 33cl bottles for €13, and two litres of Glen Grant whisky for €30 the pair.

I actually paid more, but have accumulated the money on my loyalty card, we now have enough for three litres of Pastis 51 (like Pernod), for free.

The shop was also doing Ballantynes litre whisky at €14 a bottle....seemed rude not to

The local French looked a bit taken aback at my alcohol laden trolley with a bottle of milk, some eggs and some spuds in it too.
Old 20 October 2015, 11:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I currently have a trolley load of Spanish brandy in the boot of the car...that's now being gently sloshed around in the middle of the Bay of Biscay.

Anything to declare? Erm, yeah, I get seasick and the wifi onboard the ferry is as slow as hell
Old 20 October 2015, 11:41 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Alcoholic?

Actually it explains why you keep having accidents with power tools

I don't drink anything like I used to, and that wasn't a great deal. A total of 3 glasses of red wine in October, so far
Old 20 October 2015, 05:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds expensive to me, bottle of whisky costs a fiver here and Balentines is about 9 quid but I don't like the stuff, sooner drink Mac Authors or Old Smuggler (made by Chavas and tastes the same) former being a fiver and the latter 7 quid, I buy local red & white wine 50L a time pound a litre, and it's good, no chemicals added so drink as much as you can and you won't get a headache the next day, beer is £1.20L.

And as if that wasn't enough, just filled my car up with 100Ron @ 96p per litre, the wine costs more than petrol.
Old 25 October 2015, 07:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Everyday groceries similar price back home here in Zim, but anywhere out super market people round Anything up to a dollar because cents not available, although gov have minted Bond coins which some use. (not exchangeable for foreign currency ) ...

Some items are ludicrously loaded, so there's large amount of buying from S.A. , we spent 6 hrs "negociating" duty at the border amongst hundreds other maligers Fortunate it wasn't week before when it was 50 degrees. Even so an experience wouldn't choose to go through again, hectic hot dusty.

Quart castle 1:55, local drink the chibuku, take your own container. The desperate drink the kuchsa (sp) some illicit cocktail of knocked off smirnoff car tyres and God knows whatelse