Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fed up with foreign holidays

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2015, 08:18 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fed up with foreign holidays

Maybe I'm getting old.but I can't be bothered going on anymore holidays.
I'm just back from Ibiza.hotel rooms had walls so thin you could hear folk doing the toilet.as well as doors banging shut all night long.therefore no sleep for a week.on flight home kids behind me on plane kicking seats all the way home.plus because I've ate and drank excessively all week I've now got a fat belly.the thought occurred to me why do I do it.rant over.
Old 12 October 2015, 08:27 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ibiza wouldn't exactly be my choice of a relaxing holiday away. Maybe that's where you went wrong
Old 12 October 2015, 08:33 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

You've got almost the entire planet at your disposal? Exactly how many places have you been to?
Old 12 October 2015, 09:04 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Ibiza wouldn't exactly be my choice of a relaxing holiday away. Maybe that's where you went wrong
Mine neither, I never do any hotel less than four star(no I'm not a snob) I don't think you're getting old I think you made the wrong choice.
Old 12 October 2015, 09:15 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

love ibiza just been this year went to cafe mambos twice and ocean beach done it every year since the 80s im 50 lol but love the atmosphere as hotels go try hotel garbi and spa in playa nice and chilled there
Old 12 October 2015, 09:21 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

And this is the issue. Somebody might love somewhere, but somebody else may hate it. OP, I don't think it's a case of "can't be bothered going on holiday anymore", it's a case of finding the right place or the right atmosphere for you personally.

Personally I couldent think of anything worse than going to somewhere like Ibiza, but that's just my preference. Im fairly sure there are folk on here that could think of nothing worse than going on holiday and spending all day walking around a lake and taking in the scenery, for example. But I could think of few things better. It's all about preference.
Old 12 October 2015, 09:32 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

That is one reason we purchased our own place a couple of years ago.
Old 12 October 2015, 09:49 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Have a holiday house in Donegal.
Inherited it in the last few years
Go over Easter, July and September.
Can be there from Central Scotland in 10 hours getting the ferry.
In 5 acres of woodland.
Not had a foreign holiday for a few years although going to Abu Dhabi in March for a week to visit a mate and his family.
Here's a pic of the house in Ireland. Market there has collapsed and houses can be had for very cheap
Name:  image.jpg1_zpsp7lz8acp.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  227.5 KB
Old 13 October 2015, 01:47 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Ciaran
Have a holiday house in Donegal.
Inherited it in the last few years
Go over Easter, July and September.
Can be there from Central Scotland in 10 hours getting the ferry.
In 5 acres of woodland.
Not had a foreign holiday for a few years although going to Abu Dhabi in March for a week to visit a mate and his family.
Here's a pic of the house in Ireland. Market there has collapsed and houses can be had for very cheap

Lucky swine! That is my idea of a perfect holiday location & cottage.
In fact, better than that, I would probably be very tempted to live there & tell the rest of the world to **** off.

Last edited by legb4rsk; 13 October 2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 13 October 2015, 09:18 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Lucky swine! That is my idea of a perfect holiday location & cottage.
In fact, better than that, I would probably be very tempted to live there & tell the rest of the world to **** off.
It's not quite civilised enough to live in full time as the bathroom is built on the end of the house which means going outside to access and there is no central heating or hot water in the actual cottage (the bathroom does)
Plan is to double the size of it and make the bathroom part of the house.
Also buying one of these for the spring to save carrying fire wood 2 miles
http://farm.autotrader.co.uk/used-fa.../category/atvs
Old 13 October 2015, 10:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Funny; the main reason why I hate stopping in British hotels is because of the crap soundproofing between rooms and corridors; noisy guests and slamming fire doors throughout the night. This is also in alleged five star hotels too!

I'd may well camp in a tent; it's more peaceful!

However nothing comes close to the noise in the hotel I stopped Daytona beach during bike week when the ***** in the rooms below (ground floor with patio) decided to ride/rev their unsilenced bikes in the hotel rooms at 3:00am. Whom then smashed up the rental car belonging to a couple who complained about them: First and last time I've experienced rich Americans going full retard in the flesh, which is a sour memory of a country I spent best part of three months touring with no issues.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 October 2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 13 October 2015, 10:06 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Apart from that and Rhodes, I've been to lots of places across the globe and only had problems/issues with a few places.
Old 13 October 2015, 11:09 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

It's the buggering about in airports that ruins foreign holidays for me, especially as I have spent so much of my working life standing around in them or worse trying to kill time by sleeping in them. However great the holiday this miserable performance just undoes it all for me. And there's a fortune to be made for any airline that introduces no kids flights!
Old 13 October 2015, 12:20 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

No kids, no fatties, nobody with body odour and no plebs.
How about white only flights?
And no Irish.
Old 13 October 2015, 12:38 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
It's the buggering about in airports that ruins foreign holidays for me, especially as I have spent so much of my working life standing around in them or worse trying to kill time by sleeping in them. However great the holiday this miserable performance just undoes it all for me. And there's a fortune to be made for any airline that introduces no kids flights!
I tend to drive into Europe rather than fly, because I don't really like airports, especially parking.
Old 13 October 2015, 12:44 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
And no Irish.
Where can I buy a ticket?
Old 13 October 2015, 01:03 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
And no Irish.
Think you maybe on to a winner with that - though I would add no Russians
Old 13 October 2015, 01:11 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I pray for the day where flight companies introduce 'no children' flights. I hate kids, cannot stand them. I detest parents who think everyone else should 'put up' with their kids, or who think everyone else should look at their kids with the same level of love that they do. I would happily pay more to be on a flight with no children.

I also do not understand why parents take babies on holiday? Wtf is the point in that? They don't understand they're on holiday, so why not wait a couple of years until the kid is old enough to appreciate it?

Rant over
Old 13 October 2015, 01:32 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Reading some of the last few posts above, anyone would think we'd just been transported to the US deep south in the 1960s.

Anyhow, unless you're willing to pay the extra to go business or first-class (or maybe flying charter with Saga), you're never going to have any choice about who you sit next to on a standard flight. It's just not in the commercial interests of the operators.
Old 13 October 2015, 01:37 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Reading some of the last few posts above, anyone would think we'd just been transported to the US deep south in the 1960s.

Anyhow, unless you're willing to pay the extra to go business or first-class (or maybe flying charter with Saga), you're never going to have any choice about who you sit next to on a standard flight. It's just not in the commercial interests of the operators.

You have no choice in business or first class either. I once got lumbered with a 'film star's' awful kids in first class and got relocated in business class to get away from them. Kid-free flights are the future, plenty of us would pay a premium for that luxury.
Old 13 October 2015, 02:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

You can avoid taking flights without kids by doing a few things. Do not fly charter (use scheduled) and avoid Ryanair scheduled. And don't take a holiday during silly season (during school holidays). Thirdly, if it's a budget airline: book the extra leg room seats; families with screaming brats usually don't book these so you'll at least be at the other end of the plane.

Avoiding sitting next to fatties (and by that I mean morbidly obese) is something I have an issue with and is a bit of a lottery.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 October 2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 13 October 2015, 02:48 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

No your right, somevother counties 4 star hotels won't be as good as uk's 4 star, i've always been told never go for less than 4 star.

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Mine neither, I never do any hotel less than four star(no I'm not a snob) I don't think you're getting old I think you made the wrong choice.
Old 13 October 2015, 04:18 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
No your right, somevother counties 4 star hotels won't be as good as uk's 4 star, i've always been told never go for less than 4 star.
We also always try to book couples/adults only hotels to avoid any kids
Old 13 October 2015, 07:52 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Flights can be a nightmare

Personally I would ban

Overly short men - invariably aggressive
People with visible tattoos - see above
People who smoke - they smell
Men/women wearing trainers, tracksuit and football tops - total lack of self esteem and often aggressive
Men who sway like a monkey when they walk - invariably aggressive
Men/women with bad teeth - invariably agressive, and low self esteem
Men called Kevin, Daryl, Darren, Gary
Men who wear lots of gold jewellery - invariably aggressive
Old 13 October 2015, 09:26 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Hate flying period! Just got ourselves a VW California Beach ( last of the T5 shape ) not that there's much difference to the new one and got nearly 8k of list. Intend to stick the trailer tent on the back and have as many weekends away as possible. My wife and children love the VW shows and that suits me just fine. And maybe a week in France if the tunnel isn't blocked!
Old 13 October 2015, 09:29 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Oh and Darren's are great bye the way.
Old 13 October 2015, 09:29 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Flights can be a nightmare

Personally I would ban

Overly short men - invariably aggressive
People with visible tattoos - see above
People who smoke - they smell
Men/women wearing trainers, tracksuit and football tops - total lack of self esteem and often aggressive
Men who sway like a monkey when they walk - invariably aggressive
Men/women with bad teeth - invariably agressive, and low self esteem
Men called Kevin, Daryl, Darren, Gary
Men who wear lots of gold jewellery - invariably aggressive

You've just banned half of Britain; add in the fat b*st*rds, kids and their stupid parents, and those with body odour and that's taken care of another sizable chunk. I might invest in a light aircraft and save all the aggro!
Old 13 October 2015, 09:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I thought about getting a pilots licence and a plane, but after working out the only plane I could realistically afford is a Cessna 172m (about £20 to 30k) it'd take at least 7 hours to fly to Alicante (vs 2.5 hours on a airbus a321) and that's about as far as you can fly it on a tank of fuel which is about £100 to fill it up. Plus all the running costs and airport charges (whatever that is).

That puts perspective on the £60 fee to endure screaming brats, smelly fat people and those that don't realise row 2 is behind row 1 and row 3 is behind row 2 when their ticket says row 35...guess what fella/luv...it's not at the front so keep f'kin walking and stop faffing your luggage and get your **** on the seat so we can leave on time. Oh dear...I'm ranting again lol

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 October 2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 13 October 2015, 10:16 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I thought about getting a pilots licence and a plane, but after working out the only plane I could realistically afford is a Cessna 172m (about £20 to 30k) it'd take at least 7 hours to fly to Alicante (vs 2.5 hours on a airbus a321) and that's about as far as you can fly it on a tank of fuel which is about £100 to fill it up. Plus all the running costs and airport charges (whatever that is).

That puts perspective on the £60 fee to endure screaming brats, smelly fat people and those that don't realise row 2 is behind row 1 and row 3 is behind row 2 when their ticket says row 35...guess what fella/luv...it's not at the front so keep f'kin walking and stop faffing your luggage and get your **** on the seat so we can leave on time. Oh dear...I'm ranting again lol

Many light aircraft are owned by small syndicates or informal groups thus spreading the costs, still a lot of cash however you do it though. Buying one outright as the sole owner is the quick route to bankruptcy unless you are very flush! Might be a bit extreme just to avoid kids, so airlines should seriously consider the kid-free flight option. I'd happily pay an extra 20% to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet, and I bet I wouldn't be alone either.
Old 13 October 2015, 10:27 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Many light aircraft are owned by small syndicates or informal groups thus spreading the costs, still a lot of cash however you do it though. Buying one outright as the sole owner is the quick route to bankruptcy unless you are very flush! Might be a bit extreme just to avoid kids, so airlines should seriously consider the kid-free flight option. I'd happily pay an extra 20% to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet, and I bet I wouldn't be alone either.
Although on the one hand you are correct, kids for the most part are a bloody nuisance, I found myself on a flight either to/from Dubai (work) and close by were some quiet, well-spoken and well-behaved kids. I was actually pleased. The conversation between them and their father was indicative of the real reason for objectionable kids.
Their parents.

Quick Reply: Fed up with foreign holidays