Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cancer Research Fund-raiser

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2015, 05:51 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cancer Research Fund-raiser

Mods - if raising money for this worthwhile cause in this fashion is inappropriate then please delete

Cancer is one of these horrible diseases that you wouldn't wish upon your worst enemy (normally) and I have personally lost a lot of friends and family to the disease. That is why I am taking on the challenge of the Rat Race Man vs Mountain to try and raise money and awareness for the disease.

http://www.ratracemanvsmountain.com/...845be-89104257

https://www.facebook.com/events/1594958157441090/

I completed my final training run today (29+ miles in just over 4 hours Final Run - http://www.strava.com/activities/378...ref_map=%5B%5D) and I’m not looking forward to the event but I will complete it.

It is not like the London Marathon – there is no bond, I have paid for my own entry, transport and accommodation so every penny raised will go to the charity (less the commission that Just-Giving syphons off) so if you have a spare £, $, € or any other dnomination of cash please think about pledging it to this cause. The event is the 5 Sep and you can pledge here - www.justgiving.com/Jonmcm666

Thanks in advance for those who can spare a couple of quid for a madman like me
Old 27 August 2015, 06:47 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair play to ya for what your doing mate but imo the whole cancer research thing is taking the p1ss now, have you seen the most recent adverts on tv? where the cheeky ***** are asking you to leave money in your will to them, how fooking cheeky have they become.

I think the last thing on a dying persons mind is to worry about making sure they leave money to the charity, Not only that how much money has been raised so far for this group and as yet still no cure for cancer, talk about stringing it out.

Rant over
Old 27 August 2015, 06:56 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I think the tactics are necessary because the charity market is flooded with everything from the big ones - Children in Need, Comic reliefe etc through to feed the illegal migrant and save the daisy. I agree with the sentiment though - my inheritnce will be left to my kids and my omnthly direct debits will pay for my phones, insurnace electic, rent etc. What I have left will go to charity and I hope that I can raise more than I have invested in completing thos event - not everyone wants to give this way so fair play to them, but some people will...
Old 27 August 2015, 07:24 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Best of luck to you in the fundraising ,Personally lost my mum a month ago to cancer . still as Devastating now as it has been over last 5 years of treatment and suffering

Will be doing a loaded March next year from Raf Lossiemouth to ARI ( 80 miles or so) with 32.5kg weight. Same as a regiment fitness test but over a lot longer distance.

Not sure on date but all funds will go to Friends of anchor and cancer research
Old 27 August 2015, 08:08 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

My sincerest condolences bud, it's a terrible way to go.

Good luck with the walk - I'm only carrying about 10-15k on this depending upon how much food/liquid I take but I have done a few loaded marches over the brecons with the heaviest being a 60ib load. Take care of your joints