Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

12 Months in Prison and a 3 year ban for 160mph!

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2002, 09:20 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year a biker was stopped in Wales for speeding and the police discovered an on board video camera.

When they played the tape it showed him riding at upto an indicated 160mph.

The rider - Wayne Soman, 32, was prosecuted on the strength of this video and today was sent to prison for 12 months and also given a 3 year ban and ordered to reset his test.

****!
Old 06 June 2002, 09:22 AM
Danny.172
Scooby Regular

Prison for 12 months? Surely he must not have had a licence insurance etc!
Old 06 June 2002, 09:28 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

It has happened before to another biker I think he was doing 150mph, reported about 18 months ago in MCN.

Of course he had to retake his test, he was given a long-term ban.
Old 06 June 2002, 09:29 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Seems like rough justice, but when i think of all the people on here yesterday, myself included, talking about getting there cars off the clock..... Makes you think!
Old 06 June 2002, 09:39 AM
Lee M
Scooby Regular

Talk about not telling the whole truth!!! The reason that he got sent down for so long was because he was a habitual speeder who had been caught again and again. It was also a totally premeditated act and he planned to do these speeds on a public road. He didn't just go out and 'find' himself travelling very fast on an empty motorway... he was having his own Isle of man TT race travelling at over 100mph in 30mph sections.... Imagine if he killed a member of your family, it would have been murder in my opinion.
Old 06 June 2002, 09:51 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

I think i speak for most of us here if i say that when we all "find" ourselves doing 140+ its only for a very short length of time, more to the point it wasn't pre-planned and is never ever in a situation where the road is at peak times i.e during the day. Im not condoning doing silly speed on any kind of road, but at least if i do take the car up to and over the 140 i do it as safely as i can i.e (3am) on the M4.

I will however say that doing any speed whether it be 40,50, or even 160 is not safe. At the end of the day the human body was not designed to go past running speed. I sure as hell dont speed very often and definately dont drive like a loon, i've more respect for human life than that.

Gav
Old 06 June 2002, 10:04 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Im not in any way condoning this blokes actions he must of been a right nutter. The site i got the cutting from didn't mention about him being a serrial speeder so please forgive my misinformation.

However we all have our own definition of what is 'a safe time' to do these speeds and even if we don't kill our selves or others there is still a very serious threat of being caught. I don't beleive this guy got 12 months just based on previous offences and all speeding is pre meditated, as soon as you think 'Ill put my foot down'. I don't think any of us find our selves accidently doing 130, 140, 150+ mph.
Ali

Old 06 June 2002, 10:43 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

He should've just stuck to vandalizing and buglary instead. He would've gotten away scot free....
Old 06 June 2002, 10:54 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Actually, the part about him speeding in 30 zones is incorrect.

He had a video strapped to the tank and was pulled up for a routine check. The police seized the video as evidence. He was shown travelling at up to an indicated 165mph in national speed limit areas, but he slowed down for the lower limits.

What really got him in the **** was the 9 points already on his licence, and the hydraulic device to hide his number plate, showing that the speeding was a premeditated event.

In fact, the court officially recognised his "undoubted riding skill" however they were not willing to let him get away with speeding for the distance that he managed (a couple of hundred miles, I believe)

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 6/6/2002 10:55:11 AM]
Old 06 June 2002, 12:11 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

The guy set out to record himself on video reaching these speeds so what he did was obviously premeditated. I know the roads around Brecon / mid wales better than most and can honestly say that they are not safe to be driving at these speeds. Maybe yes if nothing was coming the other way but as we all know this is never the case unless on a track.

Over the past few years there have been literally dozens of motorcycle deaths on the roads of mid wales. This is one reason why the police take a dim view of this. After all they are the ones who scrape up the bits which is not a nice job.

At the end of the day if anyone wants to drive/ride at these speeds then take to the track and do it properly. This goes for cars and bikes. To do so on public roads is so irresposible these days and just gives other drivers of bikes/fast cars a bad name.

Anyone who has seen someone getting a direct hit from a car that cant stop due to speeding will surely agree with me.

Chip.
Old 06 June 2002, 01:01 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

HAHA what a ******
Old 06 June 2002, 01:15 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Bend Over Wayne - ITS POKER TIME!
Old 06 June 2002, 01:16 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Sounds like that nutter from Japan who taped himself doing 160 in his Ferrari F40 over in Europe.

He was a member of the Ferrari owners club and PASSED THE TAPE AROUND fellow members. Eventually the police got it, DOH!
Old 06 June 2002, 01:54 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Talking

"the hydraulic device to hide his number plate"

Old 06 June 2002, 05:09 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

He should've just stuck to vandalizing and buglary instead. He would've gotten away scot free....
Very true [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06 June 2002, 07:23 PM
Luke
BANNED

Sounds like he's a *****
Old 06 June 2002, 09:35 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

On the letters page of last months Performance bike Magazine were 2 letters side by side:

1) Wayne sent to jail for speeding..

2) Father of a 16yr old writes in to say the guy who killed his son whilst texting on his mobile and driving gets away with a 3 month ban and 5 points...

...methinks Great Britains justice system is as fcuked up as half the ***** who get behind the wheel everyday [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 07 June 2002, 07:59 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with Richard.

Though Wayne Soman was clearly begging for it (flip up plate, taping himself ... it's just 2 fingers to the magistrates), a punishment of 12 months in prison is stupidly inappropriate. What would cause him the most hurt? Obvious, take away the thing he really loves - so ban him for 3 years.

Sending him to prison serves no useful purpose, and costs the country a shedload of cash.

A final thought - this sort of thread often turns into an anti-police rant. I know several policemen, all of whom are horrified at this. Blame the magistrates/courts, but in this case not the police.

Bros
Old 07 June 2002, 08:43 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

There's no point trawling round for examples of poor justice to get away from what this **** did - 160 mph is ******* ridiculous on any road - So the courts wait until he hits someone before doing anything about it - no that would make me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] especially if he hit my Rotty or Kid or Wife !
Old 07 June 2002, 08:45 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

And another thing - there was a case a couple of years ago when some **** killed someone whilst driving uninsured and DURING a 10 YEAR BAN !!
Old 07 June 2002, 09:32 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

A final thought - this sort of thread often turns into an anti-police rant. I know several policemen, all of whom are horrified at this. Blame the magistrates/courts, but in this case not the police.
Nah there are several justification to be anti police anyway. For one thing, I see how efficiently they dealt with this speeding menace.

On the other hand, if you were to ask the police to investigate a certain crime like vandalism or burglary they'll just say that they don't have the manpower for it. Good to see that they've got their priorities right.

So, how much do you think they made from this case anyway?

Old 07 June 2002, 11:18 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My friend Ste was knocked of his push bike just over a year ago. The driver left him for dead in the middle of a dual carriageway at night. When the olice arrived, they found his front number plate at the scene and went straight round there. When he was arrested, he was so drunk that they had to let him sober up for 12 hours before questioning him. He admitted it.

At the time he was serving his second ban for drink driving, had no insurance and was clearly pissed at the wheel.

Ste was in hospital for a month, had to wear an eye patch for 6 months (they even took Ste's licence off him because of his eye injury) and had difficulty walking for some time.

The courts thought a £75 fine and no ban was an appropriate punishment.
Old 08 June 2002, 08:29 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Notorious - sorry to hear baout your mate. Hope he's okay now. I am extremely surprised to hear about only a £75 fine. If he was driving whilst disqualified, then that should've been prison or at the very least community service and usually is. On the facts of your case, he could have been charged with at the very least drink/drive, failing to report an accident. Further, he could given the circumstances have been charged with damgerous driving. Sounds like he was VERY pissed at the time of the offence. It sounds like a poorly prosecuted case, IMHO. There are plenty of charges that coulkd've been levelled, but I bet he just got drink/drive and a VERY decent bench. Also, the £75 fine makes it sound like he doesn;t have much money.

M.