Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

netflix pros and cons..

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2015, 08:24 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default netflix pros and cons..

looking at getting Netflix.. do they have a huge amount of films?? new releases? do they do documentaries? tv episodes etc?

I cant see anything until I sign up.. but don't want to sign up unless its any good!

any ideas?
Old 01 May 2015, 08:25 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

oh and do you stream the content or down load?

or both??
Old 01 May 2015, 08:31 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

and whats the pricing packages?? it says 30 days free.. but and its from 5.99 a month.. but whats that like??
Old 01 May 2015, 08:34 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've recently signed up but finding the selection rather limited, especially for kids films. No Ice Age, no Madagascar, etc.
Old 01 May 2015, 08:38 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have Netflix, and I enjoy watching some good films and series on it.

I don't find all good films on Netflix that I'd like to watch, though. It seems to be quite limited with its stock.
Old 01 May 2015, 08:44 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

is it streaming or download or both??

any alternatives...?? like amazon prime?
Old 01 May 2015, 09:13 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Streaming as far as I am aware

We have it, but it came from pressure from my kids - so they pay for it (although in reality I pay, it just come out of there allowance - but it does teach them "consequence")

The selection is a little limited, they do have some series Breaking Bad etc - but a bit hit and miss

The films are generally division 2

But and a big "but" - they did house of cards (with Kevin spacey and robin Wright) and it was Fvcking superb

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 01 May 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01 May 2015, 09:13 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Why not but an android box? you can get them all on there for a one off payment.
Old 01 May 2015, 09:50 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Why not but an android box? you can get them all on there for a one off payment.
Because they're **** and not everyone minds paying.
Old 01 May 2015, 10:20 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Apparently the American Netflix is much better, there is a way to get it in the UK as some of the blokes from my work have it but I'm unsure how it's done.
Old 01 May 2015, 10:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Was thinking about it , but most we want can be had from iplayer and ITV player

Or veetle
Old 01 May 2015, 11:03 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Apparently the American Netflix is much better, there is a way to get it in the UK as some of the blokes from my work have it but I'm unsure how it's done.
I use this www.unblock-us.com . Theres instructions on the website how to set it up with your device. It basically means you use there DNS servers and this allows you to swap between all the Netflix regions. Canada seems to have one of the best selections. It works out at just over £3 a month.
Old 01 May 2015, 11:08 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickeymouse
looking at getting Netflix.. do they have a huge amount of films?? new releases? do they do documentaries? tv episodes etc?

I cant see anything until I sign up.. but don't want to sign up unless its any good!

any ideas?
It's sh1te, don't bother.
Old 02 May 2015, 12:03 AM
gary77
Scooby Regular

get the one month free and cancel if you dont like it, i've heard chrome cast is good for a one off payment, like the android thing mentioned earlier i guess, it basically connects your device to your tv , there are websites on there to get recentfilms and series for free , but the catch is the sites keep getting closed down and you have to find another one, it is also posable to connect a laptop to your tv to do the same thing and no need for the box hdmi dongle type thing at all

Last edited by gary77; 02 May 2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02 May 2015, 09:24 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had it for a while now, film wise it's average, but for the series selection it's pretty decent. You stream content and even over 3G it works ok for me.

Kid loves it, they have their own account (within my account) that is age restricted so I let them pick what they want.
Old 02 May 2015, 09:36 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Hola
Old 02 May 2015, 09:51 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'm not interested in re-runs of TV series but watch the occasional film.
Tried Amazon Prime and that was pretty limited too.
I've "tested" Netflix with loads of titles (many not very recent too) and it keeps coming up with nowt. And the "new releases" often seem to be two years old or more.

It's very convenient but I can't see myself staying subscribed for long.
Old 02 May 2015, 10:41 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I have American netflix on my phone and I pad,laptop.used get a number and change the Internet settings,now just download a free VPN something like Hola free vpn I use this on my phone for netflix.
Old 02 May 2015, 11:10 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm using Unblock US. Just seemed easier to get going. My TV was a bit fussy with the DNS at first but works fine.

Netflix has some good stuff - Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Fargo, Lillyhammer, House of Cards

I also have Amazon Prime - buy alot of stuff from Amazon so the free next day postage is a bonus. Vikings, Hell on Wheels to name a few.

Almost at the stage where I'm considering binning Sky as I'm mostly watching one of the above. Only reason for keeping Sky at the mo is F1 and Disney for the kids.

It's all streamed AFAIK. Fibre connection helps although my GF has vanilla broadband and that runs Netflix fine.

I've got a Roku 3 coming this afternoon for my daughters bedroom as she's struggling to get her PS3 to run PLex. I have a server under the stairs and serves Plex content to all rooms.

Took a fair bit of plumbing though

Old 02 May 2015, 11:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cripes..

Iv got one cable for the dish
Old 02 May 2015, 11:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I'm not interested in re-runs of TV series but watch the occasional film.
Tried Amazon Prime and that was pretty limited too.
I've "tested" Netflix with loads of titles (many not very recent too) and it keeps coming up with nowt. And the "new releases" often seem to be two years old or more.

It's very convenient but I can't see myself staying subscribed for long.

Don't watch the re-runs then .. Netflix is putting out some excellent original shows.
Old 02 May 2015, 11:54 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

All those cables just for Plex, I just use the widi and I have never had a problem connecting to my pc and playing is buffer free.

Originally Posted by EddScott
I'm using Unblock US. Just seemed easier to get going. My TV was a bit fussy with the DNS at first but works fine.

Netflix has some good stuff - Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Fargo, Lillyhammer, House of Cards

I also have Amazon Prime - buy alot of stuff from Amazon so the free next day postage is a bonus. Vikings, Hell on Wheels to name a few.

Almost at the stage where I'm considering binning Sky as I'm mostly watching one of the above. Only reason for keeping Sky at the mo is F1 and Disney for the kids.

It's all streamed AFAIK. Fibre connection helps although my GF has vanilla broadband and that runs Netflix fine.

I've got a Roku 3 coming this afternoon for my daughters bedroom as she's struggling to get her PS3 to run PLex. I have a server under the stairs and serves Plex content to all rooms.

Took a fair bit of plumbing though

Old 02 May 2015, 01:35 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevebt
All those cables just for Plex, I just use the widi and I have never had a problem connecting to my pc and playing is buffer free.
Go easy on him, it's difficult living in the early 90's
Old 02 May 2015, 05:38 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

I like Netflix, although I agree the range of films is a little limited. Loads to choose from, documentaries, TV series'.

I watch it on bog standard fairly slow broadband and get it on a TV via a Roku device.
Old 02 May 2015, 07:10 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Because they're **** and not everyone minds paying.
I'm guessing thats a personal opinion, we have one in Spain and it is really good.

But it's not the apple box so it probably won't hit the mark with you
Old 02 May 2015, 07:16 PM
BlitzEY
Scooby Newbie

Depending on if you have a PS3 or whatever, I'd personally just stream the movies from your PC to the ps3 via a media server. That's what I do anyway.

I have Netflix, but very rarely use it. It doesn't get updated enough, although it seems to have a good selection of films, I've either seen them all, or don't intend on seeing them. I also have Prime, but have only used it once. If you want films or the like, get a box or do the media server, unless you're happy with a mediocre selection.

As for the U.S Netflix, it is much better than ours, and it's very easy to do. Just gotta change your DNS server in your PS3 or whatever you'll be watching it on. If it'll be on a PC, then it's much easier by using Hula on Chrome.
Old 03 May 2015, 07:17 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Trialled both Prime and Netflix and the latter was better in terms of speed and picture quality. I used it specifically to catch up on Breaking Bad and better call Saul. Film wise not a lot on there.

Just try it and see but make sure to cancel in time.

What about Now TV if you are after more films?
Old 03 May 2015, 10:26 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Netflix are very good at justifying the money I give them, every month there's something that I think was worth the subscription. Last night I watched an entire series about 3 blokes from Australia visiting shady areas in the US. It was great.
Old 03 May 2015, 08:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I have had Netflix for years and for £6 a month you can't go wrong, I tend to watch the stand up comedy on there and have been impressed with Bill Burr Obviously its not going to have the latest stuff as its only £6 but it has a better choice than sky movies and how much would that cost?

I also had amazon but its virtually impossible to cancel with them as I had to contact my credit card company to get them to block the payment as they will just keep taking it where as Netflix will end your contract after one email.
Old 03 May 2015, 08:55 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Netflix is worth it if you find plenty of "box set" series to watch on it. If you want a decent selection of the latest movies, forget it.

But then, it's only £6 a month so what do you expect?

We've had it for just over a year now, so have paid about £80 to watch Breaking Bad, American Horror, Suits, Person of Interest, Better call Saul, Life on Mars and several other excellent series that I can't remember the name of right now....

Quick Reply: netflix pros and cons..