Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is this really the sort of nation you want the UK to be?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2014, 10:51 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this really the sort of nation you want the UK to be?

While Cameron pats himself on the back for giving lots of foreign aid here we have young people in the UK unable to afford a decent meal due in part to crazy new benefit rules and slow payments

The young people going hungry in the UK this winter

Sickening quite frankly!
Old 08 December 2014, 11:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They can only blame themselves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30386108
Old 08 December 2014, 11:29 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1128...d-of-food.html
Old 09 December 2014, 12:52 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
While Cameron pats himself on the back for giving lots of foreign aid here we have young people in the UK unable to afford a decent meal due in part to crazy new benefit rules and slow payments

The young people going hungry in the UK this winter

Sickening quite frankly!
What have those 2 things got to do with each other?
Old 09 December 2014, 01:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
What have those 2 things got to do with each other?
FFS if a country would rather help another country's population while some of its native population goes hungry then I reckon it has its priorities wrong! Of course your pal Cameron wouldn't get to be seen as a hero on the world stage by feeding the native population of the UK though would he now?
Old 09 December 2014, 02:12 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so through the fault of the job centre,the guy lost his college course.
The aspiring electrician's prospects had been looking up. He was on a college course but was instructed by the job centre to take a two-week placement at Boots. By the time the placement was over, he had fallen behind and couldn't meet the college's required 97% attendance rate.
And then he had his jobseeker's allowance stopped
Old 09 December 2014, 02:18 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

FFS if a country would rather help another country's population while some of its native population goes hungry then I reckon it has its priorities wrong! Of course your pal Cameron wouldn't get to be seen as a hero on the world stage by feeding the native population of the UK though would he now?
Same reason people like Bob Geldof does band aid for africa,whilst here our own are on the streets and pensioners will die in the cold weather.
But he wouldn't get the same publicity on the world stage eh.
Old 09 December 2014, 07:38 AM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

i agree its really ****ed up but because the great british people but that w@nker in charge what can we do about it
Old 09 December 2014, 09:37 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Foreign aid budget amounts to only 0.7% of UK total income. I think this country is still wealthy enough to spare a small amount of its income in helping others in less fortunate countries who are suffering even greater hardships than, while no less worthy granted, the young adults who are going hungery. Of course some of the aid is mispent and some of it doesn't goes to where it is intended, but I like the think that what this country can spare can still make a difference.

Do you really want the UK be an "I'm alright Jack" and sod all the other countries sort of nation. There is a separate UK welfare budget with the aim to help those in the UK. Rather that cutting the aid budget for those less fortunate in other countries, how about looking at the allocation and spending of the UK welfare budget instead of adopting a knee-jerk reaction of sod everyone else and look after our own.

Last edited by jonc; 09 December 2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09 December 2014, 09:46 AM
fawor
BANNED

Isn't British help 0.0000000001% what was "take" from countries around a world during last 500 years?
Old 09 December 2014, 09:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to wonder what happens to those in countries where there are no food banks, except in disaster scenarios...
Old 09 December 2014, 10:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Foreign aid budget amounts to only 0.7% of UK total income. I think this country is still wealthy enough to spare a small amount of its income in helping others in less fortunate countries who are suffering even greater hardships than, while no less worthy granted, the young adults who are going hungery. Of course some of the aid is mispent and some of it doesn't goes to where it is intended, but I like the think that what this country can spare can still make a difference.
If this was a Labour government doing this your attitude would be completely different of course, but leaving aside the fact you are a party politics man you are missing the point of the fact that the country is not wealthy enough. What is it you people do not get about a £1.5 trillion debt???

Do you really want the UK be an "I'm alright Jack" and sod all the other countries sort of nation.
No, but surely we need to look after our own first? It is really that simple. Cameron and IDS and their little demonisation of benefit claimants sickens me and that article despite being on a biased BBC is scandalous! Had some closer to home experience of the so called benefit cuts with the son of a mate of mine just recently and the system is completely broken thanks to this and the previous government's meddling!

When the likes of Cameron and Blair stop wanting to be seen as statesmen of the world rather than PM of the UK then maybe things will improve!
Old 09 December 2014, 11:02 AM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Ssssh you lot grumbling made em mess up their candy crush tourney !!
Seriously in private sector if someone was caught playing games for 2 1/2 hours they would be the subject of an enquiry as to why they arent concentrating on the meeting in hand as theyre paid to be there as well as no doubt claimed expenses for travel and acc to the max all for the privillige of playing a stupid game - but no pathetic apology and a witchunt for who let the peasents know what we get up to in our meetings

On topic though the point is valid - sanctions are hurting and will kill some vulnerable people this winter and all to manipulate the governments figures so they can say they are doing a good job ,,, crazy to then help other countries but then we do seem to be spiralling evermore into a giant lunatic asylum tbh

Last edited by scoobyskool; 09 December 2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:12 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes but the British people do not help themselves do they when they donate x millions to red nose day and x millions to Bob Geldofs record when you all know the proceeds are going out the country. Stop donating the money to these things where you know before you cough up the money is going to Africa in the first place. You can't really complain about it when you know what it is for when you donate.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:15 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyskool
Seriously in private sector if someone was caught playing games for 2 1/2 hours they would be the subject of an enquiry as to why they arent concentrating on the meeting in hand as theyre paid to be there as well as no doubt claimed expenses for travel and acc to the max all for the privillige of playing a stupid game - but no pathetic apology and a witchunt for who let the peasents know what we get up to in our meetings

On topic though the point is valid - sanctions are hurting and will kill some vulnerable people this winter and all to manipulate the governments figures so they can say they are doing a good job ,,, crazy to then help other countries but then we do seem to be spiralling evermore into a giant lunatic asylum tbh
Either that or we've eventually realised we aren't as important as we thought, on the world stage
Old 09 December 2014, 12:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This morning, on the local news, we were again shown pics of folk flooded out this time last year all along the east Coast and the Humber, who will be out of their homes for another Christmas.

Cost of stopping it happening again was put at £2billion over the next five years.

Government can't/won't fund it

Yet they give TWELVE BILLION a year to mainly corrupt governments and to countries whose economies are better than our own?

Go figure.

Still, it makes posstots like Martin feel good.........bet HE'S never gone hungry, cold, without a roof....
Old 09 December 2014, 12:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DYK
so through the fault of the job centre,the guy lost his college course.
The aspiring electrician's prospects had been looking up. He was on a college course but was instructed by the job centre to take a two-week placement at Boots. By the time the placement was over, he had fallen behind and couldn't meet the college's required 97% attendance rate.
And then he had his jobseeker's allowance stopped
I suspect there's more to this, I expect he just fell behind with work full stop, I seriously doubt a college would count work placement against him.
Old 09 December 2014, 01:12 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyskool

Instead they have decided to track down the person who filmed it. Hahahaha.
Old 09 December 2014, 02:01 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
This morning, on the local news, we were again shown pics of folk flooded out this time last year all along the east Coast and the Humber, who will be out of their homes for another Christmas.

Cost of stopping it happening again was put at £2billion over the next five years.

Yet they give TWELVE BILLION a year to mainly corrupt governments and to countries whose economies are better than our own?

Go figure.

Still, it makes posstots like Martin feel good.........bet HE'S never gone hungry, cold, without a roof....
Maybe you could colaborate with F1 and release a single like "Feed the teenagers, do they know it's Christmas".
Old 09 December 2014, 02:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Maybe you could colaborate with F1 and release a single like "Feed the teenagers, do they know it's Christmas".
What an odious little man you are... so funny laughing at those less fortunate than yourself isn't it?
Old 09 December 2014, 02:34 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

If this was a Labour government doing this your attitude would be completely different of course, but leaving aside the fact you are a party politics man you are missing the point of the fact that the country is not wealthy enough. What is it you people do not get about a £1.5 trillion debt???
Whoever is in Government, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. At what point would you deem the UK's finance fit to allow foreign aid?

No, but surely we need to look after our own first? It is really that simple. Cameron and IDS and their little demonisation of benefit claimants sickens me and that article despite being on a biased BBC is scandalous! Had some closer to home experience of the so called benefit cuts with the son of a mate of mine just recently and the system is completely broken thanks to this and the previous government's meddling!
You mean you're friend's son who has been extradited and arrested for tax fraud? The benefits system is certanly broken where it's currently better to live off benefits than it is work for a living.
Old 09 December 2014, 02:36 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

What an odious little man you are... so funny laughing at those less fortunate than yourself isn't it?
It takes one to know one.
Old 09 December 2014, 02:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
I suspect there's more to this, I expect he just fell behind with work full stop, I seriously doubt a college would count work placement against him.
Now, of that, I'm unsure.

Some years ago now, my eldest was doing a four-year course leading to becoming a welder/plater.

Sadly, the firm who employed him, decided to make him and five other trainees redundant, and then took on six "fully trained" Polish welders.**

My lad went on the h8unt for another job, but remember, he wasn't yet trained.

The college? Well they gave him 6 weeks to find work, or he was off the course, no ifs, no buts, six weeks and finito.

I asked on his behalf, what would happen if he went off the course but found work days later, and was told that GOVERNMENT regulations forbade them taking him back as he was...but he could start again.

I thought they meant redo the year....nope, the ENTIRE FOUR YEAR COURSE!!!!!

You couldn't make it up, when we NEED trained workers.

We eventually found him a job by ringing every company in a 30 mile radius and asking them to employ him, and I would pay his wages and on-costs, and explaining why he NEEDED a job, or almost four years' work up the spout.

Hard times....but Government regs. Someone has decided that's how it will be, and that's how it is.

** The "fully trained" Polish welders turned out to have little idea at all, so last laughs to the redundant lads.
Sadly, only two of them were able to finish the course........
Old 09 December 2014, 03:31 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=alcazar;11577961]This morning, on the local news, we were again shown pics of folk flooded out this time last year all along the east Coast and the Humber, who will be out of their homes for another Christmas.

Go figure.

Still, it makes posstots like Martin feel good.........bet HE'S never gone hungry, cold, without a roof....[/QUOTE]

The only way you could possibly use that argument against me is if you've lived in the third world on less that $2 a day!

Why are you trying to pretend that the choice here is doing more for the hungry in this country, and helping those in even greater need elsewhere. That is just a completely phony choice. The short answer is we should do BOTH.

And if we are giving billions to corrupt governments and countries richer than us (like to see the fact here btw), then that's just an argument for doing it better, not for stopping foreign aid.
Old 09 December 2014, 03:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You mean you're friend's son who has been extradited and arrested for tax fraud? The benefits system is certanly broken where it's currently better to live off benefits than it is work for a living.
Time to educate you yet again!

a) While someone is looking for work they should be entitled to benefits. You'd be the first to complain if you lost your job (which, if it involves any sort of writing you probably should do given your spelling and grammar) and then were refused what you should be entitled to!

b) He has found a job so you can knock the underhand sniping about his persona off.... just like when you tried to obliquely accuse me of being a racist you are way wide of the mark.
Old 09 December 2014, 04:21 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Time to educate you yet again!

a) While someone is looking for work they should be entitled to benefits. You'd be the first to complain if you lost your job (which, if it involves any sort of writing you probably should do given your spelling and grammar) and then were refused what you should be entitled to!

b) He has found a job so you can knock the underhand sniping about his persona off.... just like when you tried to obliquely accuse me of being a racist you are way wide of the mark.
I merely stated fact, he was wanted for tax fraud - fact!, he was extradited - fact!, he was arrested - fact! Are you now saying this isn't so? As for sniping, you least of all should complain about it since you are the biggest offender for this!! If you take the fact that I faced racism in Manchester and you live in Manchester to mean calling you racists, then so be it you delusional idiot. Also you can continue with your petty and pathetic little vendetta against me I really don't give a ****, and since you know I'm Chinese and English isn't my first language, feel free to continue with your petty little corrections of my spelling and grammar, I really do enjoy being eduated by you.

Back on topic, sure so let's cut foreign aid, you certainly put the "n" in cut!
Old 09 December 2014, 04:50 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Would these be the same less fortunate people that you don't want to help by us giving them foreign aid?
Old 09 December 2014, 05:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I merely stated fact, he was wanted for tax fraud - fact!, he was extradited - fact!, he was arrested - fact! Are you now saying this isn't so? As for sniping, you least of all should complain about it since you are the biggest offender for this!! If you take the fact that I faced racism in Manchester and you live in Manchester to mean calling you racists, then so be it you delusional idiot. Also you can continue with your petty and pathetic little vendetta against me I really don't give a ****, and since you know I'm Chinese and English isn't my first language, feel free to continue with your petty little corrections of my spelling and grammar, I really do enjoy being eduated by you.
Vendetta??? You post snide comments on nearly every thread I start and yet I am the one with the vendetta??? Stop posting sh1te and you will not have an issue with me!

Oh and I didn't know you were Chinese (not that it makes any difference), as I said I take no notice of people's creed or race .... I only knew you weren't caucasian from the London thread and for all I knew you were British born. Anyway like I said if I think someone is a **** then that's what I think and it has nothing to do with their race/creed or whatever!!

Back on topic, sure so let's cut foreign aid, you certainly put the "n" in cut!
Hmmmm, that might work if there was an 'n;' in cut
Old 09 December 2014, 05:52 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

these homeless skint teenagers need to breed, then they will get a house benefit's and trimming's better still learn a foreign language and lose thier passport, claim to be from another eu country and WATCH THE CASH ROLL IN
Old 09 December 2014, 06:09 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, that might work if there was an 'n;' in cut
As ever the joke has gone over your head. So much for your high IQ claim, you can now add thicko to your extensive list of amazing human qualities.

Quick Reply: Is this really the sort of nation you want the UK to be?