Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog issues ..

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2014, 07:28 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Turbo; It wasn't a direct disagreement, more an observation. That's a rather disturbing story too.

The poor lady down the road (around 70 but still active) got a rescue terrier and spent ages training him; over six months she made progress but he did go for my little boy on one occasion (I had to pin the dog down until he gave up) but it wasn't too awful. Then the dog bit her 18 month old grandson and that was it; back to the rescue home and she's on her own again. I feel really sorry for her as she did everything "right" in my opinion.
That certainly is a disturbing one, Matt.

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Had a similar situation with my Rat Pack male Parsons Jack Russell, had him from 10 weeks fully trained did everything 10,000,000 % better than anyone would with him as I wanted him right, read countless books studied and did everything right , 2yrs later he attacks my 3yr old son for no reason in my presence, thankfully, only one way that's going to end, the dog unfortunately is no more and no one more sad about it than me almost 5yrs later.

I'll take that one to my grave.
My father in-law shot his dog dead because he bit my sister in-law's finger while she was messing about with him. I don't think he felt any remorse, but the rest of the family was left traumatised with the dog's demise.

I know of some stories like yours, Ditch. That's when your own pet turns against you, and you may have to shoot him down. It's sad, but that's the only thing you can do sometimes.

Even some fluffy cats can be quite tyrant types. I posted a link here lately when a stunning looking Himalayan fat cat kept his slaves hostage. He had already scratched their new baby. They had to call police on him, and get him shoved back in the rescue place, where they got him from.
Old 01 December 2014, 03:51 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch - that's pretty awful.

My folks had a rather naughty but incredibly charismatic male collie who just disappeared one day aged about 5 - forever. My Dad still misses him heaps and blames himself for the disappearance - the dog was quite a wanderer - I suspect someone picked up up and took him home one day.

Was your boy okay? I still have a deep scar on my cheek from being pretty much savaged aged three. Never put me off dogs though.
TBH I have no idea what happened one moment he was fine, then the next he was like a wild animal, I was right there watching and saw everything, my son was sat on a plastic mystery machine toy bus, as the dog went for him he fell, I thought the dog had bitten his face and pretty much instantly had it by the scruff of the neck, never moved so fast in my life, they were maybe 5 feet away.
Really surreal he was even having a go at me as I carried him through the kitchen to the back door, I very nearly stuck a knife in him, he was that mental, but all I wanted was to see my sons face so just threw him in the back garden.

Thankfully my son was fine apart from a red tooth mark on his cheek and a banged head from falling.

I spent a couple of days wondering what to do, spoke to the vet and dog trainer, but I couldn't get the image out of my mind (still can't) and didn't want to pass him on to someone else and live with the possibility of him attacking a child again and maybe being successful, so he had to go to dog heaven, I was with him to the end stood in the vets crying like a little boy, two things I'll never forget, and indeed keeping me awake half the night as I type this.

Strange the effect a dog can have on you.
Old 01 December 2014, 07:55 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Apart from the "episodes" does she seem to be in distress at all
Nothing at all and the "episodes" happened twice in the heat of the summer after walking.
Old 01 December 2014, 10:15 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ditchy - that's a pretty decision to have to make but I reckon it was the right one. Something just obviously "snapped" in the dog's head.

When I was savaged (my parents were convinced I'd lost my right eye - I was completely covered in blood) the dog was dealt with there and then. Poor chap walking it was only about 15. I had loads of stitches and can still remember having them done!
Old 01 December 2014, 12:05 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carnut
Go to Boots or some other shop where women go and buy a heart monitor and put it round the dogs neck.
You can get all sorts of monitors these days, there must be one that can track a hart beat over 12 hours or more.

p.s i love my dogs but what's all this crap about them being on par with people/kids. Unless you're a vegetarian you eat animals that are as intelligent as dogs that deserve to live just the same.
It's a illusion people, stop the double standards and valuing a animals life by how cute it is.
Chris - stop being a fud.

Some people (myself incuded) value their animals (whatever they are) extremely highly and that value has nothing to do with how "cute" they are.

Go read a book called "the Genius of Dogs" . Should help address at least part of your ignorance.
Old 01 December 2014, 12:09 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pimmo

Get a second opinion. If your dog is otherwise fine it could just as easily be nothing more than heat/exertion induced.
Old 01 December 2014, 04:40 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Nothing at all and the "episodes" happened twice in the heat of the summer after walking.
Yes a tough one - the decision would be so much clearer/easier the the dog had an actual illness/problem, like a tumour etc

As people have said maybe a second opinion, but if the dog is fine I may be inclined to wait and see
Old 01 December 2014, 05:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Oh, right! It could be just sun-stroke. I'd get second opinion, then.

I'm not quite sure about how these vets charge, you know. I have a lot of respect for them for their nature of work, but sometimes, I do wonder. I mean, if it was just two collapses in heat, how does a vet estimate a dog's electrocardiogram, chest x-ray and ultrasound etc. with, say, 72 hrs observation can cost £900. May be it does. I think a clinic stay per night is £50. So, £850 is the rest?

What I'm saying is that I don't quite get the animal treatment pricing. Sometimes it seems that they charge over the odds because they know how emotional a pet owner can get about their poorly pet, so they exploit it. I'm not saying that they do, but you know what I mean.

Any vets here to enlighten?
Old 02 December 2014, 08:36 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

As hodgy said, if the dog had an illness, or if the vet said this is pointing to a heart issue and we're confident, I'd do it, but to be told they have no idea and this is the next thing to try .. AND they kept saying, chances are we'll find nothing.
Old 02 December 2014, 09:36 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

When you say the heat of the summer, what time of day are we talking?

You have got to remember, a dog wears a fur coat all year round. Ok, so in the summer they have a finer coat than in winter, but the only times of day you should be walking a dog during the hot summer months is early morning or late evening when it has cooled down, especially if it's a large dog with a furry coat like a gsd. You wouldn't go out for a walk wearing a fur coat in the middle of summer.

During this time of year, the jack Russell and the jr cross pointer will occasionally sit outside sunbathing, but our golden retriever will be laying out across the tiled kitchen floor because it is the coolest place that she can find.
Old 02 December 2014, 09:54 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Turbohot, I used to be a courier and for the best part of twenty years I used to go around vetinary surgeries collecting blood, urine, stool, biopsy samples (even used to have to take dead animals for post mortem) to a laboratory for testing.

Prices are high for many reasons. A vet has to train for around seven years I believe, I am not entirely sure, but it's longer than for a human doctor, because unlike humans, animals can't talk to the vet so can't help with the diagnosis like we can when we speak to a doctor.
So, the training is going to cost a fair bit. Then the vet has to pay for their premises. They have to pay for the utilities. They have to pay for equipment, they might hire diagnostic equipment from the laboratories. They have to pay staff, receptionists, nurses. They have to pay nurse training fees. They have to pay for fuel, as many vets do call outs, insurance for vehicle, insurance for premises, I would imagine public liability insurance is quite high in an environment with animals. Then they have to pay the laboratories to examine the blood samples etc, who in turn have all their overheads, and then the laboratories have to pay the courier company to collect the bloods, who in turn have their overheads to pay for . . And so on and so forth.

Yes, vet fees are expensive, but there is a wider picture that people don't take in to account.
Old 02 December 2014, 10:26 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Ok.

Thanks, WRXrowdy.
Old 03 December 2014, 01:51 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I would seek advise on a German shepherd forum you might find there is an issue in the breed like EIC and as well it isnt unkown for dogs tooccassionally collaspe and fit so two incidents with a wide spread between at that age might just be that with no treatment required.

As to the £900 get a second or third opinon. I would spend that on my dog and in fact my elder has had way more than that spent on her in last two years as she is diabetic and needs insulin 3 times a day that isnt her fault and it isnt in my nature to duck the responsability of looking after an animal just because its ill and there is a financial cost at the end of the day to me the money is better spent on her than a new xbox or flash holiday
Old 04 December 2014, 03:34 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Where are you in the UK?
Old 06 December 2014, 10:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Where are you in the UK?
Near Liverpool
Old 07 December 2014, 08:53 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

YHM (or you will in a min..)
Old 04 January 2015, 09:30 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I contacted the GS guy but he (although promised) didn't get back to me.

I took her on a 3 mile hike the other day and when she got to the top of the hill she threw up, made me a little nervous, but she was (ignoring me) drinking muddy water.

Took her out last night, did a 7 mile hike around the hills, she was fine, put her back on the lead at the end and she was pulling like a train.
Old 04 January 2015, 10:01 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

How and what are you feeding her?
Old 04 January 2015, 10:05 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
How and what are you feeding her?

Normal dog food, once at night in a bowl.

We started on the raw food when she was a puppy but she wouldn't eat, just buried it, then we tried the Burns dry food and she wouldn't eat much of that either. For a dog she's a fussy eater, doesn't touch chocolate, but likes veg.

Friend of mine used to give his dog his left overs every meal and the poor thing had a heart attack, so we don't feed her outside her meals.

(unless she find butter, stupid dog)
Old 04 January 2015, 10:56 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your problem. Pets are precious.
There are several referral centres around the County, Willows in Birmingham for instance. They have all the kit of a major hospital. Might be worth getting your vets to refer you to one of these centres. They would be able to do a full body scan.
Old 04 January 2015, 11:18 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Chris - stop being a fud.

Some people (myself incuded) value their animals (whatever they are) extremely highly and that value has nothing to do with how "cute" they are.

Go read a book called "the Genius of Dogs" . Should help address at least part of your ignorance.
Go read a book on how intelligent pigs are then maybe you'll think twice before your sausage sandwich. (Assuming you're not a vegetarian)
Then maybe look into how cars reduce insect population and subsequently leaves little baby bird to starve to death.
Animals die every day so humans can have their luxurious lifestyles.

People only give a shìt about animals when it suits them, you're the ignorant one.

ps sorry off thread i know. i should add that if you take responsibility for a animal then obviously you should meet all the needs of said animal.

Last edited by Carnut; 04 January 2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04 January 2015, 01:12 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

That's the thing though, why would I pay for a full scan or any kind of tests unless she has an issue?

two funny turns in a year don't suggest heart issues to me.
Old 04 January 2015, 01:47 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

My missus runs a boarding kennels and I work in the quiet season for when the Weddings drop off a bit (i.e. now). I've just shown her this thread and she says....... We'd generally recommend feeding the dog twice a day not just once. They need fuel, like us and one big meal in the evening won't cut it. Best bet is splitting it across two seperate feeds but usual amount in total. A lot of people do the once a day thing to avoid poops in the house whilst away at work. Great for carpets, not for the dogs's metabolism. Like Humans, if you don't eat early, essentially your body goes into survival mode and starts feeding on what's left in the liver before muscle, then fat reserves in the body.

It's also worth taking a travel water feed with you on decent length walks in the summer, especially for breeds with bigger coats.

Sounds like exhaustion/dehydration to me. At least by making free of charge changes (water bottle aside) you can say you've taken all steps to a vet should it happen again.

Generally vets will pick up on underlying conditions as, whilst they are fumbling in the dark compared to human Doctors, they don't have humans sending them on wild goose chases with opinions on their own ailments.......

Hope that helps in some way. Also, if you don't have it GET INSURANCE!
Old 04 January 2015, 02:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That's the thing though, why would I pay for a full scan or any kind of tests unless she has an issue?

two funny turns in a year don't suggest heart issues to me.
Also I would trust your intuition, she is your dog and you spend the most time with her

I suspect if you really believed she was in pain/distress you would act accordingly
Old 04 January 2015, 04:33 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveyj
My missus runs a boarding kennels and I work in the quiet season for when the Weddings drop off a bit (i.e. now). I've just shown her this thread and she says....... We'd generally recommend feeding the dog twice a day not just once. They need fuel, like us and one big meal in the evening won't cut it. Best bet is splitting it across two seperate feeds but usual amount in total. A lot of people do the once a day thing to avoid poops in the house whilst away at work. Great for carpets, not for the dogs's metabolism. Like Humans, if you don't eat early, essentially your body goes into survival mode and starts feeding on what's left in the liver before muscle, then fat reserves in the body.

It's also worth taking a travel water feed with you on decent length walks in the summer, especially for breeds with bigger coats.

Sounds like exhaustion/dehydration to me. At least by making free of charge changes (water bottle aside) you can say you've taken all steps to a vet should it happen again.

Generally vets will pick up on underlying conditions as, whilst they are fumbling in the dark compared to human Doctors, they don't have humans sending them on wild goose chases with opinions on their own ailments.......

Hope that helps in some way. Also, if you don't have it GET INSURANCE!

I used to feed her in the morning too, but she would leave it 9/10 times and the house would stink. The food would have dried out by the time we got home.

I leave her with some biscuits .. well she shares with the cat, but she rarely touches them.
Old 04 January 2015, 04:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Also I would trust your intuition, she is your dog and you spend the most time with her

I suspect if you really believed she was in pain/distress you would act accordingly
I paid £500 when she was unwell and it didn't even cross my mind to wait and see, she was ill, this was the treatment, end of.

I probably didnt need to leave her over night, but I wanted to do the best for her, even if it cost me £150.
Old 04 January 2015, 05:01 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,
Looking just at what you've said in this thread to just try get the facts.
So your gsd has collapsed twice?and only on hot days.
Q1 is the dog exhausted through movement ie. Legs go
Q2 is the dog exhausted though lack of clean water.
Q3 is the dog exhausted though lack of oxygen.
Large breed dogs like gsd are not really a dog for all out hikes in hot temps over large distances without rest and recuperation.
Buy one of the many portable water kits for dogs.
If you are out in heat and the dog looks like its struggling try get the dog's feet and inner legs submerged in cold water bring temps down quickly .
Give more info I'll try help
Old 05 January 2015, 09:21 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

I used to feed her in the morning too, but she would leave it 9/10 times and the house would stink. The food would have dried out by the time we got home.

I leave her with some biscuits .. well she shares with the cat, but she rarely touches them.
Was the dog walked prior to breakfast?
Old 06 January 2015, 09:36 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

admin test!
admin test!
admin test!
Please ignore the above - just a test from a bug report here:
Old 07 January 2015, 04:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Look, what someone did to their dog. They put his belonging in a suitcase and abandoned him tied to his leash at a railway station. I wonder what lovely Kai's issues were.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...ef=mostpopular

How sad.

Quick Reply: Dog issues ..