Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British soldiers.Do we really value them?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2014, 10:26 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default British soldiers.Do we really value them?

With poppy day coming up I thought about what real benefits we give to our Armed Forces who have lost their lives,been injured or put their lives on the line for us.

I was prompted to ask this when I heard US soldiers don't pay tax when abroad & decided to check out their other benefits & found this:

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho...fits_Page.html

Over 150 benefits,some very substantial.

Anyone in the Forces or know how British personnel fair against that US Army benefit list?
I fear the worst.
Old 07 November 2014, 11:04 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't think we care for our great soldiers enough especially when you read stories like this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...home-fees.html

We should be ashamed!
Old 07 November 2014, 11:50 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
I don't think we care for our great soldiers enough especially when you read stories like this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...home-fees.html

We should be ashamed!
That's disgusting.
Old 07 November 2014, 10:34 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's disgusting

It's about time the UK stopped giving foreign aid and thinking we can support every other country in the world and actually looked after our own

we should have a referendum and tell Scotland to do one and then leave the EU.

all those people that gave their lives in the 1st and 2nd world wars the save England, and now look at the state of the country
Old 08 November 2014, 12:02 AM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

The truth is the government just use them as cannon fodder ........
Old 08 November 2014, 07:17 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
that's disgusting

It's about time the UK stopped giving foreign aid and thinking we can support every other country in the world and actually looked after our own

all those people that gave their lives in the 1st and 2nd world wars the save , Britain and now look at the state of the country

Edited to correct your ignorance..
Old 08 November 2014, 08:38 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

No.
But saying this we never have in a sense.
This country has not really broken away from the stiff upper lip us and them culture.
Old 08 November 2014, 08:50 AM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Seriously underpaid to put there life in the firing line because of some dick head politician
Old 08 November 2014, 09:11 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What do you mean we don't value British armed forces?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-soldiers.html

It's just that we seem to value foreign scum a little more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...pensation.html
Old 08 November 2014, 09:19 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog

It's just that we seem to value foreign scum a little more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...pensation.html
'British Lawyers' - says it all really, Always trying to get someone to make a claim of some kind so they can cash in on it, ******* scum.
Old 08 November 2014, 10:29 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Edited to correct your ignorance..
I said that because I class myself as 'English', not British

on a side note, Andy Murray classes himself as Scottish, not British. All the English people that support him and a couple of years ago he came out with this quote when asked who he wanted to win Wimbledon, 'Anyone, as long as they're not English'
Old 08 November 2014, 10:47 PM
Little Dave
Scooby Regular

Sadly no they don't get the love they deserve this is down to the fact they are fighting so one else's war that most of the nation don't feel we should be involved in.
9 times out of 10 we stick our noses In where there not wanted and people die for no reason.
Un like the two great wars where we had to fight to save our way of life.
So no is probly the awnser but yes because we know these guys do what they are asked to do and I always make a point to say thanks to anyone looking after our country all be it in the wrong place

Dave
Old 10 November 2014, 10:18 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I said that because I class myself as 'English', not British

on a side note, Andy Murray classes himself as Scottish, not British. All the English people that support him and a couple of years ago he came out with this quote when asked who he wanted to win Wimbledon, 'Anyone, as long as they're not English'
So Dunk was right then
Old 10 November 2014, 11:47 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

that's disgusting

all those people that gave their lives in the 1st and 2nd world wars the save England, and now look at the state of the country
Go buy a history book clown.
Old 11 November 2014, 08:30 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Go buy a history book clown.
Just leave them to it, educating Scabbynet is a lost cause.
Old 11 November 2014, 08:46 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well if you join the armed forces expect to get shot at, bombed, maimed or killed.

Don't get why some people that take the job on with the obvious risks don't seem to comprehend this.

If the worst happens in the line of duty hey ho, it's part of the risk and shouldn't warrant any special treatment above and beyond anyone else.

They train you, send you out into battle with a gun or whatever weapons, you can't seriously expect it to be like Rambo and come back some sort of hero or not to get shot at, goes with the territory i'm afraid and it's what they sign up for, if they don't get that then they shouldn't be signing up.
Old 11 November 2014, 08:52 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Personally I think the majority of the general public do appreciate the armed forces, byt the government (not just this one) definitely do not. They send them into combat on a whim, give them un-winnable wars to fight, treat them like **** financially and then for the most part rely on charities to look after them and their families when they get wounded or killed.

Not a good way to treat people who put their lives on the line for Queen and country!
Old 11 November 2014, 10:35 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Personally I think the majority of the general public do appreciate the armed forces, byt the government (not just this one) definitely do not. They send them into combat on a whim, give them un-winnable wars to fight, treat them like **** financially and then for the most part rely on charities to look after them and their families when they get wounded or killed.

Not a good way to treat people who put their lives on the line for Queen and country!
I think that's a somewhat romantic notion. Most wars have little to do with actual public threat and more to do with politician's bidding. In the most part soldiers have been used/are used as mere cannon fodder. Expendable commodities that are neither valued nor used for national security. War mongering seems to be a national pastime for some nations and ultimately it's the foot soldier, the man/woman at the coal face who lays his/her life on the line.
Old 11 November 2014, 11:22 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

I have the utmost respect for those that have served this country past and present.
Old 11 November 2014, 11:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
I think that's a somewhat romantic notion. Most wars have little to do with actual public threat and more to do with politician's bidding. In the most part soldiers have been used/are used as mere cannon fodder. Expendable commodities that are neither valued nor used for national security. War mongering seems to be a national pastime for some nations and ultimately it's the foot soldier, the man/woman at the coal face who lays his/her life on the line.
That's kind of the point I was making Maz, albeit in not the most lucid way I grant you.

Maybe I should have said "Not a good way to treat people who would put their lives on the line for Queen and country!"
Old 11 November 2014, 11:59 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
That's kind of the point I was making Maz, albeit in not the most lucid way I grant you.

Maybe I should have said "Not a good way to treat people who would put their lives on the line for Queen and country!"
Re-reading your post I realise that.
I think governments ought not to take the soldiers for granted. Neglecting them once they've taken the best years of their life is a good way of alienating them and the electorate alike.
Old 13 November 2014, 06:40 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Well if you join the armed forces expect to get shot at, bombed, maimed or killed.

Don't get why some people that take the job on with the obvious risks don't seem to comprehend this.

If the worst happens in the line of duty hey ho, it's part of the risk and shouldn't warrant any special treatment above and beyond anyone else.

They train you, send you out into battle with a gun or whatever weapons, you can't seriously expect it to be like Rambo and come back some sort of hero or not to get shot at, goes with the territory i'm afraid and it's what they sign up for, if they don't get that then they shouldn't be signing up.
Like with most jobs what you read or told is usually quite different from the reality of it.
I remember when i joined,the thought does enter your mind could be shot,killed,wounded,but its really just a passing thought,the reality don't sink in when you first sign up.
Have a close family of ex forces mates,from infantry soldier to Army helicopter pilot.All good blokes plus one woman.
But we get on with the job whatever it maybe.
Old 13 November 2014, 07:27 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Like with most jobs what you read or told is usually quite different from the reality of it.
I remember when i joined,the thought does enter your mind could be shot,killed,wounded,but its really just a passing thought,the reality don't sink in when you first sign up.
Have a close family of ex forces mates,from infantry soldier to Army helicopter pilot.All good blokes plus one woman.
But we get on with the job whatever it maybe.
True for most jobs but the name kind of gives the game away, 'Armed Forces' I live in a forces recruiting area, my close neighbours all have sons currently in the forces, RAF, Navy and Army, and 3 ex forces centres very close by, they all seem to know and accept the risks, all been in some very sticky situations and came out of it thankfully, and all realise it's just the luck of the draw.

But yes I agree it all seems very glamorous when your in the recruiting office, not so much so when your out in the middle of a desert surrounded by hostiles.
Old 13 November 2014, 07:39 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

that's disgusting

Old 14 November 2014, 02:06 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Excellent sentiment.Just a shame those views went out of favour about 100 years ago.Your not related to this bloke are you?

http://blackadder.wikia.com/wiki/General_Melchett
Old 14 November 2014, 04:41 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Excellent sentiment.Just a shame those views went out of favour about 100 years ago.Your not related to this bloke are you?

http://blackadder.wikia.com/wiki/General_Melchett
So what are service men supposed to expect? to be wrapped up in cotton wool, and god forbid the get killed or injured, are they or their families supposed to get £10.000.000 compensation?

This bloody namby pamby society, with people always looking to blame someone else and get hand outs when something happens to them is a big part of the reason the country is screwed.

Simple solution, if your not prepared to accept that there is a possibility you may be wounded or killed, don't join, very basic common sense really, no use whining after you've signed up, ooooooooh nasty bad man shot me, what the **** were you doing in his country shooting at him, no ******* real surprise he's shooting at you.

Fair enough if all these so called enemies were invading the UK but they are not, the UK and it's allies is invading them, I wouldn't join the armed forces now if they paid £500k a year.

Here's a thought, if no one joined then there would be no wars and no casualties, then the politicians would have to go and duke it out themselves and we all know how that scenario would end, more talking and a greater willingness to solve issues as opposed to sending in some cannon fodder.
Old 14 November 2014, 05:09 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So what are service men supposed to expect? to be wrapped up in cotton wool, and god forbid the get killed or injured, are they or their families supposed to get £10.000.000 compensation?

This bloody namby pamby society, with people always looking to blame someone else and get hand outs when something happens to them is a big part of the reason the country is screwed.

Simple solution, if your not prepared to accept that there is a possibility you may be wounded or killed, don't join, very basic common sense really, no use whining after you've signed up, ooooooooh nasty bad man shot me, what the **** were you doing in his country shooting at him, no ******* real surprise he's shooting at you.

Fair enough if all these so called enemies were invading the UK but they are not, the UK and it's allies is invading them, I wouldn't join the armed forces now if they paid £500k a year.

Here's a thought, if no one joined then there would be no wars and no casualties, then the politicians would have to go and duke it out themselves and we all know how that scenario would end, more talking and a greater willingness to solve issues as opposed to sending in some cannon fodder.

Here's a some observations/thoughts.

If a soldier in the US goes to a theme park, 99% of the time he gets and his family get in free and allowed to the front of the queue. I remember in Florida members of the US Forces where asked to stand and they where applauded and got a standing ovation. If you are lucky in the UK, you get a few quid off at LEGOLAND. The US soldier will receive funding and access to University Education when he leaves (so do their Reserves).

40% of UK service accommodation is "below standard" (families and soldiers) and occupants pay a reduced rate. Don't believe the life long learning bull**** poured out by the MOD either. Even lenders can shun you if you have spent time abroad as you have no history.

There are areas of the UK where we cannot wear our uniforms with pride.

Break down the wages of your average soldier and 95% of the UK Armed Forces are paid less than the minimum wage (not the living wage) an epic recruiting tool! When did the UK Armed Forces receive a real pay rise? I would have to be homeless before I got a sniff at a council house. Even Gen Carter who designed the Army Reform said it was a mistake.

I joined at 16 (I am getting on a bit now), been through some ****, lost good friends and through it all, no matter where I was in the world I paid NI and Tax. I knew why I joined, what to expect (at 18 I was bog trotting round NI in the 80's, The Gulf in the 90's and 00's with stuff in between and since)and did not expect any special treatment. But the covenant I was promised is sadly lacking.

Don't get me wrong, a very small majority of Military personnel (like some people in civvy street are complete c**ts) and should look to their laurels before complaining about their treatment.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 14 November 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 14 November 2014, 05:27 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

... 10.000.000
Ditch, you really have turned European.

Last edited by joz8968; 14 November 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 14 November 2014, 05:46 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

In reply to The Trooper1815

The US soldiers family will get $100,000 if killed in service & the family can stay in their service accommodation for 1 year or get 1 years housing allowance.
Old 14 November 2014, 06:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Here's a some observations/thoughts.

If a soldier in the US goes to a theme park, 99% of the time he gets and his family get in free and allowed to the front of the queue. I remember in Florida members of the US Forces where asked to stand and they where applauded and got a standing ovation. If you are lucky in the UK, you get a few quid off at LEGOLAND. The US soldier will receive funding and access to University Education when he leaves (so do their Reserves).

40% of UK service accommodation is "below standard" (families and soldiers) and occupants pay a reduced rate. Don't believe the life long learning bull**** poured out by the MOD either. Even lenders can shun you if you have spent time abroad as you have no history.

There are areas of the UK where we cannot wear our uniforms with pride.

Break down the wages of your average soldier and 95% of the UK Armed Forces are paid less than the minimum wage (not the living wage) an epic recruiting tool! When did the UK Armed Forces receive a real pay rise? I would have to be homeless before I got a sniff at a council house. Even Gen Carter who designed the Army Reform said it was a mistake.

I joined at 16 (I am getting on a bit now), been through some ****, lost good friends and through it all, no matter where I was in the world I paid NI and Tax. I knew why I joined, what to expect (at 18 I was bog trotting round NI in the 80's, The Gulf in the 90's and 00's with stuff in between and since)and did not expect any special treatment. But the covenant I was promised is sadly lacking.

Don't get me wrong, a very small majority of Military personnel (like some people in civvy street are complete c**ts) and should look to their laurels before complaining about their treatment.
Great post mate, strange you should mention the money because all the lads I know seem to not be short of a bob or two and go on to get pretty decent jobs when they come out after a 6yr stint or go to pension quite young obviously depends if you rise through the ranks or not. Also tend to get moved away from the front line too as they get older.

I'm not decrying the armed forces personnel, I just think it's career choice much like any other, it has it's good and bad points, we no longer have national service so these people were not press ganged into joining, they decided to sign the contract so they have to accept the terms and conditions, complaining after the fact is pointless.

Quick Reply: British soldiers.Do we really value them?