Midlands Drive to Sutton Park!

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2001, 10:48 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

Would anyone be interested in a drive to Sutton Park on August bank holiday Monday (27th) or Saturday September 1st.

I propose that we meet at the Nottingham Night public house (A52) at around 12:30pm. From there we'll travel via the A453 through Lount (where there can be a pub stop at the Ferrers Arms).

Continuing on through Ashby, Measham and Tamworth until we reach the Bassets Pole public house where we can lunch at around 13:30 / 14:00. This is quite a nice pub with a beer garden and a big enough car park for us all. The menu looks nice too! From there Sutton Park is only 2 - 3 miles away.

This drive / day out should be enjoyable for all the family and a straight forward enough route for those who wish to travel at their own pace. If necessary I will print a list of directions (1 per car).

Please get your feedback to me as soon as you can so I can get an idea of the numbers who may be interested.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 11 August 2001, 11:11 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Kevin,

i might be interested in meeting you all (er, when someone replies ) at the end, as i live in the area.

If we do end up in Sutton Park, we need to be extra polite, because over the years various "Max Power" types have generated a bad reputation in the park. If it can be an obvious family day out, then this will help!

mb
Old 11 August 2001, 11:16 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Oh there you are Martin

May be away that week? dunno yet what I'm doing?

I could suggest an even better route
Old 11 August 2001, 05:47 PM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Kevin

I live a short distance from Sutton Park, not sure what I am doing over the Bank Holiday yet but will have more chance of making it on the Monday.

The Maxpower types Martin describes tend to congregate near Town Gate.

Regards,

Neil.
Old 11 August 2001, 09:04 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Hi Kevin

No can do, (although I live near Worcester) as the dates are no good for me (hols, and Sats are a no-go).

How's the g'box - last time I saw you, you had just rolled up with it in the boot of your Fiesta at TSL.

Graham & Co have sorted my engine out now, and all seems tickety-boo big stylee

Do you venture down to this neck of the woods at all?
Cheers,
Matthew
Old 12 August 2001, 09:18 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses so far..

Boomer - I know what you mean ('bout the MAX Power types) - as long as we behave in an appropriate manner we should be ok. The park ranger/warden was at the info centre and advised that Cannon Hill Park (not too far from Sutton Park) may also be worth a call to see if they have any events on or around those dates - be good for the families! I'll update all with any new info a.s.a.p.

CharlieWhiskey - sure, if you know a more interesting route, feel free to tell us. I've just missed a lot of get togethers with damage to my gearbox and would like to make up for lost time - sort of celebrate my car's revival! I don't mind which route we use to get there, as long as its fun.

NeilS - Once we get beyond September 1st I am unavailable on Sundays until after 13:00, hence the Saturday option. Monday suits me, but I will total up who wants to go when and it'll happen on the most favoured date. I want to do it while there might still be a chance of good weather though!

Matty B - Hi mate, glad the car is going well. I am re-learning how to drive mine - lost time and UK ratios in a Jap car make it seem so different (but its great, I just need to remember to downshift for excitement). As I mentioned above Sundays are fine after September if we start after 13:00 and it'd be nice to accomodate everyone. Oh, and I don't believe I have been in your part of the country, unless I have done so in passing.

Anyway guys, just a reminder on the dates:

Bank Holiday Monday 27t August or..
Saturday September 1st

If these are difficult for the majority please suggest another more suitable date for consideration.

Cheers,

Kevin

Old 12 August 2001, 09:27 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Kevin: I will have a think & mail you 'somethink' when I get a chance.

It is best NOT to post any details of routes on here for the World & his wife to see!

Suffice to say it would be more of a B road route (although that's all the A453 is now!)

Also, the September Sundays are getting booked up by TRAX, Wales Camping Trip 3 etc.

Chris
Old 12 August 2001, 01:43 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya Kev,

I saw you the other day outside the broadmarsh centre in ya fiesta. I pulled up and asked if you had a scoob remember?

Just so people know, I saw kev zip by and on the back of the fiesta is a SIDC sticker, so I pulls up next to him and asks him and he tells me all about his gearbox.

The next day I'm at TSL and mentions this incident to Trouser and he says " Ah that'll be Kev then...."

I gotta admit Kev, I didn't believe you

Anyways, good to have you back in scoob land. Catcha at the next meet

MIKEY
Old 13 August 2001, 09:38 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Yes mate!!!

the Trouser express will be there... who wants to drive behind me???

You have to have a LOUD stereo... ask Jza! maybe i should be "rear gunner" ( oo-er!!)

Kids and their exhausts eh? , and more ....sorry... i'll grow out of it eventually.... like my dad has!

Trouser
Old 13 August 2001, 05:55 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Mikey,

Yeah, I remember! Its nice to be back. The Fiesta is cheap, nippy and fun, but Scoob... well, need I say more! Look forward to seeing ya at the next meet.

CharlieWhiskey - good point about the route. Feel free to mail me 'somethink' when you get the time.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 16 August 2001, 06:39 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Talking

Guys 'n' Gals,

From the replies so far its looking like the 27th is most popular. Anymore thoughts on this as time is running out?

Cheers,

Kev
Old 18 August 2001, 01:26 AM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi

I live a few miles away from sutton park, try to catch up with you guys there later on in the day.

Ray

Old 21 August 2001, 06:38 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Smile

Guys,

We are getting very close to bank holiday Monday and I need to know if I'll be travelling alone or if I'll have you guys for company. I will publish the starting place and time on Thursday if I have no further responses.

CharlieWhiskey,

You said you had an alternative route to mine. Any chance of mailing it to me? Or will you be there on the day?

Speak soon,

Kevin

Old 21 August 2001, 09:14 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

I should be there dood!!!
Old 21 August 2001, 11:11 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Can't make the Monday as I'm going to weston for the bank holiday cruise. If its on the Saturday I'll be up for it, with another 4 scoobs that arn't on here.
Old 21 August 2001, 11:28 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Kevin, ????????????????????? I sent it on the 13th, haven't you got it yet?

Sent it again just in case, no errors reported so must be your end if you don't get it

Chris
Old 22 August 2001, 09:12 PM
RUNJ
Scooby Newbie

Planning to see friends in Hinckley on Monday evening, so a trip round the houses into that neck of the woods (with car full of family!!) looks promising. Bridgford 12:30???
Old 22 August 2001, 09:40 PM
neil@wrx
Scooby Regular

27TH THEN are you going passed bassett's pole mail me a time and place if deferent
bassett's pole pub £2.14 for a pint of coke
rip off. McDo over the road only 89p
cheaper to drink drive (BUT DON'T )
Old 22 August 2001, 10:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Kevin,

you couldn't e-mail me (see profile) the anticipated end-point (e.g. where in Sutton Park) - i don't fancy driving to Notts just to come back

mb
Old 24 August 2001, 09:42 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Ok Guys,

Hopefully this'll answer all your questions:

Firstly apologies to those of you who can't make Monday 27th - it seems to be the most popular date.

The plan is to meet at the start point (Nottingham Nite - A52, Bridgford) at 12:30. Allowing for any delays I suggest we give people around 15mins extra to arrive before setting off.

I have a choice of two routes, one of which I don't yet know (was supplied by CharlieWhiskey), so is less likely. If I get a chance to do trial run tomorrow, then we may perhaps do it as it sounds quite interesting.

Based on my original route I would estimate two stops. The first for comfort and the second at the Bassets Pole (or the adjacent McD's) for food and refreshments.

Once we are done there, its on to Sutton Park (5 - 10 min drive). It may be busy there so as yet I don't know where would be best to suggest for parking so we will have to suck it and see!

Neil@WRX, Check your mail for eta at the Pole.

Boomer, I'll mail you my 1st and 2nd choice parking places.

Hope fully this answers everybody's questions. I shall check the board periodically over the next couple of days for further queries. Hopefully the sun will shine for us on Monday!

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 24 August 2001, 06:21 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Kevin

Got your mail, thanks!

I'll try to have a sniff around the park this weekend, 'cos there are several areas where we could potentially meet (via several entrances, f'narr, f'narr). Your suggestion may be rather popular with the rest of the Bank Holiday crowd.

I'll e-mail you with my findings.

mb

[Edited 'cos i can't speel mi own name!]

[This message has been edited by boomer (edited 24 August 2001).]
Old 25 August 2001, 06:40 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Hi folks,

Me again! Just getting the post to the top for any late takers! So far I think there may be about 7 of us travelling from Nottingham.

The plan is to leave Nott'm Nite around 12:45. We will travel via the route CharlieWhiskey kindly supplied (bare with my possibly lack of pace as I only had time to do a partial run today).

We will aim to eat around 2pm, pick up a couple more peeps and then move on to the Park! We will have to make our own entertainment, so feel free to bring anything you think worthwhile or interesting.

For those of us returning to Nottingham afterwards, we will go back via my original route which is slightly quicker and also easier for Derby(shire) participants to break off for home!

Remember to pray for Sunshine!

Kevin

Old 25 August 2001, 06:52 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya folks ..

Just spoken to Boomer who has recomended this ! ... As I live along the way I "may" meet ya all at Sutton Park ... but it does depend what her indoors has planned for me and the kids on a bank holiday

k
Old 25 August 2001, 09:05 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

If anyone from the West Midlands area (NeilS, rayman, neil@wrx, Kev?) fancies tagging along at the end, i hope to be at Bassetts Pole (in the McDonalds car park) at around 14:00hrs) - DBM MY00 saloon. A Quick 113.4-gram'r with cheese, then off to the park!

mb
Old 26 August 2001, 12:49 AM
Lizzywizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Kevin,

Hope to be able to join you tomorrow for a jaunt to Sutton Park - It'll be just me and Tom (Mikee's working).

I had a rather traumatic experience last night and need a nice distraction. (Tell u about it tomorrow )

We'll meet you all at the Nottingham Night (if I can found out where it is!)

Lizzy
Old 27 August 2001, 09:11 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Well Guys 'n' Gals,

The weather looks great! Get yer bermuda shorts and your shades on - should be a good day! See y'all at the Nite @ 12:30.

Kev
Old 27 August 2001, 07:54 PM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Guys

I hope you all had a good day out in the Park. The weather has been excellent, makes a change for a Bank holiday.

I have just returned home from a weekend in Wales so wasn't able to make it. Hopefully get to meet some of you soon.

Cheers,

Neil.
Old 27 August 2001, 10:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Neil,

great day, and super weather.

Only two West Midlanders (neil@wrx and myself) joined the Nottingham crew, but it made for a relaxed tour around the park (to see Max "R5GTturbo" Power and his mates listening to the stereo in his boot)

K9VYN was somewhat surprised how big the park was - he thought that Town Gate was just about it Shame that Birmingham sh/City Council insist on taking a quid each off us to park in OUR OWN PARK (as given to the residents of Sutton Coldfield by Henry the Eighth) a few hundred years ago

Do you fancy coming over to Bassetts Pole tomorrow (Tuesday) night? I too live nearby, and it is a good laugh to watch the nutty bikers!

mb
Old 28 August 2001, 05:30 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by boomer:
<B>Neil,

great day, and super weather.

Only two West Midlanders (neil@wrx and myself) joined the Nottingham crew, but it made for a relaxed tour around the park (to see Max "R5GTturbo" Power and his mates listening to the stereo in his boot)

K9VYN was somewhat surprised how big the park was - he thought that Town Gate was just about it Shame that Birmingham sh/City Council insist on taking a quid each off us to park in OUR OWN PARK (as given to the residents of Sutton Coldfield by Henry the Eighth) a few hundred years ago

Do you fancy coming over to Bassetts Pole tomorrow (Tuesday) night? I too live nearby, and it is a good laugh to watch the nutty bikers!

mb[/quote]

I was there at 3.00pm but could not find anyone, the parks got to many f***** gates and it is so big!!!!! I drove around to all gates and around the park but no success. Better luck next time I suppose.

Rayman
Old 28 August 2001, 06:48 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Rayman,

we went in at the Streetly Gate (off Thornhill Road) and parked up near the summit!

BTW - i must remember to face in different directions on sunny days to avoid over-exposure on one side (in this case mi legs!)

mb

Quick Reply: Midlands Drive to Sutton Park!