Midlands (England) Midlands Meetings & Events

Wires across the Queslett Road?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 06:33 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

For those who know the area, there are now four pairs of wires/tubes across the Queslett Road (near Great Barr) just where it passes under the M6 Thats one pair per lane, times two carriageways, and in a 40mph limit.

I haven't noticed them before, and i reckon that they have been installed in the last few days (certainly since returning from WCT5).

They look fairly permanent (as in, days/weeks rather than hours usage), and i hope that they are not for speed enforcement (as opposed to traffic flow monitoring).

For those who don't know the area, they are almost exactly at the bottom of a long dip, thus cars will naturally be going at their fastest "percentile"

If it is for enforcement, they are fairly sneakily hidden under the shadow of the bridge, so should bring in loads of money - especially from people who have just come off the motorway and are used to higher speeds.

If it is for "flow monitoring" then they are going to get a very false sense of the average speed, which is why they are probably there in the first place - thus an excuse to drop the limit down to 30 to "force us to comply" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Anyone know the truth??

mb
Old 14 July 2003, 10:55 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Unhappy

Thanks for pointing that one out boomer
I use that stretch whenever i go to the motorway.
I think the locals have complained in the past about people
speeding down that stretch so i wouldnt be surprised.

Greg
Old 14 July 2003, 11:47 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If there are only two in each lane, it us unlikely that its a speed detection device, particularly if there is no camera photographing the number of the car passing over them.

Most probably just highways agency monitoring traffic/road usage?

Mike.
Old 16 July 2003, 03:06 PM
DaveUK300
Scooby Regular

Could be one of these new sneaky 'closed loop' speed detectors that seem to be appearing all over the midlands - run by so called 'safety camera partnerships'! Look for a small grey post about 2 feet in height to the side of road where the bars are. If there is one then a mobile unit links into these whilst parked nearby... Had a few friends copped by these recently around Bromsgrove

Dave