Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Blobeye Impreza GX Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2013, 01:11 AM
SMKurt92
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye Impreza GX Sport

Hi chaps, just joined after a few months of browsing. Owned my Impreza just over 6 months now, unfortunately its not a turbo one due to my age so its not the fastest thing in the world but hey, I'd rather drive this at my age than a 'limited edition' white new shape Corsa like everyone else!

I haven't got time to write out a new thread so as I'm member of other forums I'll just repost the thread I have already going.

Right so now the Polo has gone, time to make a new thread for my new car. Could be a bit marmite this and I dont mind, everyone has their own opinion but I shall go on. About 3 weeks ago now I bought a Subaru Impreza GX Sport. I'd been looking at them aswel as a number of other cars and one night on Ebay I spotted one that ticked pretty much all the boxes (apart from one) with a few mins to go. I went for it and its turned out to be a properly good buy.

Now as you've probably guessed, its got no turbo. Yes, a 2.0 non turbo. Take out the picture the STI's and WRX's (imagine the insurance at my age!) and it's actually a well put together car. Still got the AWD system and boxer engine that whilst doesnt have that many ponies, has enough torque to pull its big self about.

I've always preffered saloon cars over hatch backs so I'm glad i've finally got one. The direction I'm going to take in modifing it isn't the same as most other 20 year olds that get a car like this, I'm not going to make it a STI replica or anything similar. It's never going to be 'properly' fast so I'm thinking a fairly reasonable drop on coilovers with some jap style stanced wheels, but that wont be for another couple of months yet.

I've covered about 1200 miles in it the past 3 weeks and I've enjoyed every min. Spent about 90% of it on country roads, love the 4wd grip.

Onto the progress so far and a few tails...

When I got the car my massive hate was the aftermarket wheels. Almost put me off buying the car. So straight after buying the car on Ebay I went on Gumtree and found some other wheels that only happened to be 1.8miles away from the guys house I was getting the car from in Wakefeild! Jackpot.

When I got it home it looked like this, with horrible BK Racing wheels, anyone wanna buy them?

And heres my new wheels to go on, just an hour after owning the car.

Then on the car with a quick wash.

Then the second day of owning it I decided to find out if the AWD system really works! Frozen grass, fairly steep hills and a car full it worked fine.

The next day the ice had all melted and I was still hungry for some offroading. Late on the evening I spotted a patch of grass to adventure on with. As it turned out it wasn't grass at all. Ohh no, it was a swamp! Cue 10meters from doing 20mph to solid stuck. Wasn't budging anywhere. Luckily I have some epic friends who gave up their Friday night (around 11pm too!) to come to my rescue. You guys know who you are, I'm forever in your debt! So 4 cars, 3 toe ropes and 8 people later I was free! :laugh:

Anyway, I've kinda stayed away from the off road life style since, I'll wait till all the rain goes I think! :laugh:

Another one of my thoughts is getting rid of the spoiler. I'm not a great fan of it, I much prefer the STI spoilers but with fear of trying to make it look like a replica I think I'll stick to a de spoilered look. I'm leaving the spoiler on for now but once its dropped I'll look at a perminant way of keeping it off. Possible get something made that will cover all the 3 holes that it leaves.

I also am looking to get the two silver bits either side of the front badge painted/wrapped in black as I'm not too fussed on the chrome.

[/url]

I'll leave you with them pictures for now. I'll update when things change or I have a new bunch of pics to share, no major updates due for a few months yet anyway.

Got the clutch changed

Rad out

Down pipes & mounts undone

Engine up & out

Clutch change

Dirty box

Considering this thread is bumped. I got a new exhaust for it yesterday. Just a Cobra back box, £180 on Ebay but one popped up local for £50 and it was 2 weeks old so thought it was worth a punt. Popped it on and its alright like! Not too loud (well I dont think so from the inside anyway but people have said it is from the outside), not too chavvy and gives off that Scooby burble a bit more.

Few random pics from recent -

So I'd been on the look out for some coilovers for a while. But they where always stupid prices and the cheapest being £400 odd for some crappy things that a quick google confirmed where junk.

On Ebay the other week I spotted a right bargin. Pedders coilovers (basically BC coilovers with a different sticker on) from Pedders offical Ebay account where selling off old stock. Their coilovers for my Impreza where £1100 but where on offer for £300 delivered!

So,

Got them fitted

Took a guess what kinda hight I should set it at and decided to keep it like that to see how much it settles.

That was Saturday

Tonight after giving it a wash I decided to go all the way down

Then the ice cream man came down my road

And finally the outcome

Oh you might have spotted the exhaust. I got that a couple of weeks ago for another bargin. Cobra back box, 2 weeks old, selling for £180 on Ebay but I got it local for £50!

Now to save up some more money to get some wheels and spacers. Not sure what to get yet, will see when I'm in the position to buy.

So I painted the wheels

And I took the spoiler off (not perminant as there is holes in the boot lid, so it'll stay like that until it rains)

Some fresh pictures

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurt_blythman/9077376141/]

Oh and found a mate to ride round with

Last edited by SMKurt92; 03 July 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03 July 2013, 08:36 AM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet from a fellow Blob GX owner

The car looks lovely and those pictures really do it justice! The watermarked ones are stunning!!!
Especially the one taken with the dusky sunset showing through the trees, the paint really pops!
You are certainly blessed with the scenery around where you live! What I wouldn't give to have a nice quiet road on a hill overlooking a view like that around my way!

Its refreshing to see you haven't gone down the replica route, although each to there own and what not.

I see some of the later pictures show it with the spoiler still on, have you decided to keep it then? I think it looks better with it on personally but thats just me

Good shout on ditching those original wheels..makes me wonder what goes though some peoples heads sometimes...

Anyhu! Welcome and enjoy your car mate! (although you seem to be doing a pretty good job of that already!)
Old 03 July 2013, 10:23 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Nice motor mate, seems your on the right route, only ever seen a few dropped blobs,
Tho the states are full of them, I was lucky my insurance was fairly cheap when I got my classic turbo when i was 20. Nice to see you do your own clutch, less people get thier hands dirty these days
Old 03 July 2013, 11:25 AM
scooberuni
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hiya,
Nice GX you have there.
I recognise some of the locations from your
photo's. Are you a member of any of the
North East clubs? There's also a couple of
Facebook groups for the non-turbo as well
you know, Imprezasport.net and Impreza Sport Club.
Old 03 July 2013, 11:36 AM
Impreza100
Scooby Regular

Love all your pics even the ice cream! Good looking car and it looks like you put it to good use ;D
Old 03 July 2013, 12:04 PM
scoobyrabbit
Scooby Newbie

I've got a silver gx sport too, had it 10 years now great car, mines got a carbon fibre bonnet and large spoiler,
Old 03 July 2013, 12:04 PM
SMKurt92
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the support chaps.

Yeah the spoiler is back on, I dont fancy water leaking into the boot with the holes it leaves aha! I would like a high rise one but at the same time I dont want it to be a replica so I'm still in 2 mins.

I dont want to make it a rep like so many have done but I think if I could get hold of a STI front bumper it would be a nice touch.

I'm not a member of any Impreza clubs, this is the first site I've been on. But I am a regular on VAG forums.
Old 03 July 2013, 12:18 PM
Impreza100
Scooby Regular

There are a good bunch on face book impreza sport club. Should join there. We need a bigger following for the n/a scoobs on this forum
Old 03 July 2013, 12:25 PM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SMKurt92
Thanks for the support chaps.

Yeah the spoiler is back on, I dont fancy water leaking into the boot with the holes it leaves aha! I would like a high rise one but at the same time I dont want it to be a replica so I'm still in 2 mins.

I dont want to make it a rep like so many have done but I think if I could get hold of a STI front bumper it would be a nice touch.

If you do decide to get the hi-rise spoiler, I'd advise finding yourself one with a boot lid attached. I'll be a lot easier to fit if you just do a straight swap with your boot lids as the larger spoiler requires a lot more holes

You could also swap your front grilles over for a Zunsport mesh grille set and ditch the chrome..its something I've been toying with the idea of doing myself...it would finish the front off perfectly
Old 03 July 2013, 12:39 PM
SMKurt92
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Impreza100
There are a good bunch on face book impreza sport club. Should join there. We need a bigger following for the n/a scoobs on this forum
Just joined a couple on facebook

Originally Posted by Frizzle-Dee
If you do decide to get the hi-rise spoiler, I'd advise finding yourself one with a boot lid attached. I'll be a lot easier to fit if you just do a straight swap with your boot lids as the larger spoiler requires a lot more holes

You could also swap your front grilles over for a Zunsport mesh grille set and ditch the chrome..its something I've been toying with the idea of doing myself...it would finish the front off perfectly
Thanks, didn't realise the holes where different!

Just did a google of the grilles, looks a lot better. I ditched the chrome on my grill by getting it vinyl wrapped by a mate, cost about £2 and does the job for now until I can find a STI front

Had a look at the picture of your GX, super jealous of you having a black one! And your wheels.
Old 03 July 2013, 12:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

some words of advice, next time you change the clutch 'drop the box' lol

looking good though, glad your enjoying it
Old 03 July 2013, 12:50 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

I bought a 2.0 sport non turbo wagon had it about a month now! No real fast monster but does what it's supposed to do...plus at 25 with 3 points and only just coming up 5ncb it's just right for insurance! Will be lowering it over next few months and maybe another set of wheels just undecided what colour to go with!!
Old 03 July 2013, 12:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Snooky
I bought a 2.0 sport non turbo wagon had it about a month now! No real fast monster but does what it's supposed to do...plus at 25 with 3 points and only just coming up 5ncb it's just right for insurance! Will be lowering it over next few months and maybe another set of wheels just undecided what colour to go with!!
May not be a turbo, but its still a scoob
Old 03 July 2013, 01:05 PM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SMKurt92
Just joined a couple on facebook

Thanks, didn't realise the holes where different!

Just did a google of the grilles, looks a lot better. I ditched the chrome on my grill by getting it vinyl wrapped by a mate, cost about £2 and does the job for now until I can find a STI front

Had a look at the picture of your GX, super jealous of you having a black one! And your wheels.
Yeah the bigger spoiler is a right mare to fit from scratch, unless you get it bang on you always run the risk of it leaking in somewhere...or so i've come to understand from various horror stories

At £2 you can't complain there can you! Looking back through your pictures it works a treat!

Funnily enough, when I was saving up for mine I had initially set my heart on a silver one I found my way, but it sold a week before I had enough to buy it! I was gutted at the time but then I found my one and was over the moon.
It's Graphite Black Pearl with the gold flake in the paint when the sun shines on it..hard to find parts in the colour though...lol

Black is a pain in the bum to keep clean too! I'm forever washing it and even spent 8 hours t-cutting it this weekend in a bid to get it looking back to 'showroom sheen'..I have some pretty impressive tan marks as a result.

All this talk of these 'happening' FaceBook pages makes me wish I has an account sometimes...really don't fancy the hassle that comes with it though..lol
Old 03 July 2013, 01:06 PM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
May not be a turbo, but its still a scoob
That's what I like to hear!
Old 03 July 2013, 01:35 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

Have grown up around scoobs!! Uncle used to rally them won brean sands rally a few times and down ampney rally in a scoob!! Parents had a red 2.5 wrx and then a forester 2.7 I think!! Just biding my time for a poky 1 !! Good introduction to them I think a sport, got to start somewhere
Old 03 July 2013, 02:25 PM
Impreza100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snooky
Have grown up around scoobs!! Uncle used to rally them won brean sands rally a few times and down ampney rally in a scoob!! Parents had a red 2.5 wrx and then a forester 2.7 I think!! Just biding my time for a poky 1 !! Good introduction to them I think a sport, got to start somewhere
Well said
Old 03 July 2013, 08:55 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks tidy, some nice work done there
Old 03 July 2013, 09:04 PM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Scoob is a Scoob mate, my first was a Gx sport and never looked back. Enjoy the car mate.
Old 04 July 2013, 04:18 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

looks nice mate
what color are those wheels now? they look amazing, might get mine done in that color

wiley
Old 04 July 2013, 04:35 PM
hoff900
Scooby Regular

Looking very tidy, good write up and sweet looking motor.
Old 05 July 2013, 12:21 AM
SMKurt92
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wiley
looks nice mate
what color are those wheels now? they look amazing, might get mine done in that color

wiley
Cheers, I cant remember the exact colour but it was just a rattle can job from my local motor shop. Was the cans with the green front. Kinda looks blue in some lights